Sport All-Bran / Grape Nuts

Sport Fitness
Are All-Bran or Grape Nuts cereal good choices to include in a bulking (or cutting) diet? Which All-Bran seems high in sugar, which I can't understand because you certainly can't taste it... I've always wondered why thay don't make a sugar-free version?! Grape Nuts is lower on sugar, but half the fiber. Which one is all around better?

There is some high-fiber cereal out there, which I forget the name of, that had an amazing amount of fiber but low sugar. For my fiber, I take a sugar-free fiber supplement like Metamucil. How much fiber are you wanting to intake every day?

I wouldn't recommend getting your fiber from supplements or an overly processed cereal.

Fruit,veggies, oats, sweet potatos, flax, etc. Whole food sources first.

If you must choose a cereal this is where organic does make a difference so go with something like this Flax Plus cereal. Lots of Fiber, good ingredients, you can add some fruit in it to spice up the flavor.

You can also get it pretty cheap at costcos/walmart if you are short on cash. It is a tad more pricey at regular stores.

I wouldn't recommend getting your fiber from supplements or an overly processed cereal.
What do you think is the proper amount of processing?

Fruit,veggies, oats, sweet potatos, flax, etc. Whole food sources first.
Isn't flax a supplement? Most people don't sit down to a pipping hot bowl of flax seed mush in the morning.

I eat the All-Bran to mix things up a bit. I usually pour a blend of whey, strawberries or banana, skim/soy milk, and almonds over it, which tastes great for breakfast and is about 400 cal. I also get fiber from oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, beans, etc.

Those other cereals you mentioned sound great, but unfortunately are currently unavailable to me.

My question really should have been: Which is nutritionally better All-Bran or Grape Nuts?

Isn't flax a supplement? Most people don't sit down to a pipping hot bowl of flax seed mush in the morning.

Flax is called a supplement because of exactly what you just said. Many people don't eat it regularly and if they do it's added on to another food. However, it's still REAL food and it's very good for you.

I think Theleip already answered this question by posting the link of a cereal she recommended. Let's compare:

THELEIP's - Organic whole wheat flour, organic wheat bran, organic evaporated cane juice, organic flaxseed, organic oat bran, organic barley malt extract, rice extract, sea salt, tocopherols (natural vitamin E).

PHIL'S - WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN, (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D.

Geez Tani, you need everything spelled out for you.

As opposed to fake food?

I have no idea what your point is with this question. I'm thinking you don't really have a point nor real questions. Seems like you're just trying to get other people to have to explain every little detail in a post even though the point was fairly obvious (to anyone with half a brain at least).

Interesting...The ingredients on my box are a little different: Wheat bran(84%, Sugar, barley malt, salt, riboflavin, folate, thiamin, iron.

Carbs per serving(45g) are 20.4g with Sugars accounting for 6.1 of them

It is a shame about that sugar though...that's why I was thinking of switching to Grape Nuts as it doesn't seem to have added sugar. On the other hand, the calories are higher and the fiber is lower. Again, I don't have access to any fancy-shmancy organic stuff :(

THELEIP's - Organic whole wheat flour, organic wheat bran, organic evaporated cane juice, organic flaxseed, organic oat bran, organic barley malt extract, rice extract, sea salt, tocopherols (natural vitamin E).

PHIL'S - WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MALT FLAVORING, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN, (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D.

Geez Tani, you need everything spelled out for you.

Ok, I am afraid I don't understand your point, as you have simply listed two sets of ingredients with no commentary whatsoever. I hope it isn't simply to say that "organic" means healthful, good, or even safe. Remember the natural E. coli that contaminated some organically grown spinach a few months ago?

I do note that most of the ingredients in Phil's are vitamins. Maybe that has you concerned. As I explained in another thread, Vitamin D is deadlier than nicotine.

I have no idea what your point is with this question. I'm thinking you don't really have a point nor real questions. Seems like you're just trying to get other people to have to explain every little detail in a post even though the point was fairly obvious (to anyone with half a brain at least).

My point was to ridicule the term "real food". As opposed to what? We ingest many substances. Am I to believe that multivitamins are objectionable because I am not eating "real food" to get those nutrients?

Flax isn't a supplement, its a seed.

The point of that cereal over the other is it is

-Less processed (never said it wasn't)
-Better ingredients
-Lower in sugar and better sugar sources

If
you are going to eat a cereal this is a kind I recommend.

If you compare the ingredients between the two cereal its pretty night and day. The High Fructose Corn Syrup alone is worth choosing the other.

As for added vitamins, I do not believe in fortified products as a source of nutrients and vitamins, i believe it better to receive your vitamins, minerals, etc from whole food sources as much as possible.

Back