how long...

roughly, how long would it generally take (an intermediate who has been weight training for around 1 year) for any amount of muscle atrophy considering no weight training is being done and diet is clean?

i injured my left lat deadlifting and im cutting out the weights for however long it takes. it happened thursday night and i havent lifted since then(today is sunday). i havent taken a week break for around 6 weeks anyway so im hoping this can just be time for my whole body to recover as well.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
With a good diet you will be good for the next 2 - 3 weeks without seeing any muscle atrophy or losses in strenght. If you get to four weeks and still havn't done anything than maybe you should start worrying. Your CV system atrophys faster than any muscle mass you have so if your cardio is good, keep doing that (if you can). My advice for the time being is take the rest of this week off and work around the gym and do what you can. You have one good side and two healthy legs.

awesome. yea i figured i will take the whole week off just to let it heal 100%. in the mean time, i dont want to risk agitating anything at all. i dont even want to get a heavy bar on my shoulders or pick up any 25lb weights even.

il do some cardio like biking or something but i feel even pushups activate the lats a bit(?). im not sure whether a bit of exercise will help it heal or not but i hate taking risks ESPECIALLY when it comes to back injuries.

thanks for the advice though man :D

Yeah no worries. Also think about it this way. Either take a bit of time off and potentially lose a tiny bit of your gains, or train with an injury and aggravate it to the point where you need surgery. You'll lose money and ALL of your gains.

let it heal man. Is this an injury that usually takes long to heal? Its a lat, you can still do squats and stuff right?

Have a week or so off. Maybe 10 days. Then do a week of light exercise not on your lats. Then light for whole body, then back to normal. Unless your confident in the second week. But I wouldn't suggest storming straight back in.

yea its getting a lot better now guys. i hung on my chinup bar last night to see how it would feel and it felt good. i tried a pullup and it felt good. no pain.

i dont think it is serios but i want a little more time off just incase. and i would be able to do squats if it wasnt for me having to lug the barbell up onto my cabinet witth all the weights on it. is there any alternative for squats i can do without having to hold weights in both hands?

i think in a day or two i will go back to weight training but only at a percentage of my previous routine. i will probably do around half the weight? what do you recommend i do?

I WILL NOT BE DOING DEADLIFTS FOR A LITTLE BIT. i might do some really light ones but i am guessing good mornings are a good substitute?

Yeah no worries. Also think about it this way. Either take a bit of time off and potentially lose a tiny bit of your gains, or train with an injury and aggravate it to the point where you need surgery. You'll lose money and ALL of your gains.

exactly my thoughts. good advice bro. rep +

you guys are the best!!!

Back