Substitute for Whey Protein?

I have been using whey protein for a little while now and have been seeing good results.. Since I am a college student I cant afford to keep buying this stuff( 20 for 2lbs).. Is there any food substance that I can buy that will give me the same results and is cheaper??... Can I just eat a lot of things high in protein??

Quaility food that's high in protein will be more expensive than whey. Staying with whey is actually a better idea than ditching it.

if you pay $20 for 2lbs, you're paying WAY TOO FRIGGIN MUCH.

stop shopping GNC and go online dude. has great prices...like $27 for 5.5lbs of Optimum Nutrition brand 100% Whey. it tastes good too.

because honestly, whey is cheaper than a lot of whole food protein, like chicken, steak....all your meats basically.

eggs and cottage cheese are about the same price or cheaper, per serving, as a decently priced whey powder.

Thought this might be the best place to ask instead of creating a new thread but when is the ideal time to have these shakes (Whey)? I'm new to them also. Should you have it before or after your workout, you just hear so man different things? Also, should it just be taken only after a weights session or even after cardio?

Thought this might be the best place to ask instead of creating a new thread but when is the ideal time to have these shakes (Whey)? I'm new to them also. Should you have it before or after your workout, you just hear so man different things? Also, should it just be taken only after a weights session or even after cardio?

whey is most often used immediately post workout, when getting nutrients/protein into the muscles is very important.

but really whey is just protein...its not really that different from a chicken breast, although most will agree that the chicken breast is a better choice since its less processed (but then there's the organic/free range/hormone free debate...)

I wouldn't have more than 2 shakes per day, simply so you get a variety in your diet, and thus a good mix of whole foods, vitamins, minerals, et al.

and its fine post-cardio too. remember, its just food.

Back