Monday/Wed/Fri: Legs, abs, back

Leg press 4X8
Calf raises 4X8
Hamstring curls 4X8
Seated cable rows 4X8
Lat pull downs 4X8
Swiss ball sit ups 4 sets as many as I can
Leg raises 4 sets as many as I can
Don't know what its called--seated and you twist with weight resistance machine:confused:

Tue/Thur/Sat: Chest, arms

Bench 4X8
Incline or decline 4X8
Upright rows 4X8
Shrugs 4X8
Front dumbell raise 4X8
Lateral raise 4X8
Bicep curls 4X8
Tricep extensions 4X8
Forearms 4X8

Looking for any input/constructive criticism you might have. I am just looking for a balanced workout and want to make sure I am not missing any critical exercises or muscles. I am just looking to build some strength and maybe size but Im not in a huge hurry. I take a multi and I am looking for a fish oil, creatine twice a day, and I am trying to cram 175ish grams of protein in daily. 25 6' 175

Thanks for any help/input

I don't see any deadlifts, squats! Thats my first thought. Any reason you are doing a 4x8 routine? For everything.

Jenn-

I was doing squats but my back doesn't agree with squats, even with a weight belt (my form is correct) so I started on the leg press as a "substitute" for my quads. No real reason for the 4X8, occasionally I will up the weight and do 4 sets of 5.

Derwyddon-
It is just what I put together with my somewhat limited knowledge of the gym. I took exercises that I liked (to keep me going) for each muscle/muscle group that I thought I needed to include in a balanced(hopefully) workout.

thanks for the input

Bulgarian split squats would be one that I would have added to the mix. I would have arranged it differently as well, so that you work the chest back and arms one day, and hit your core with they legs. Bulgarians and deads will help with core strength as well. Whats up with your back? Is it a previous injury or is it due to an imbalance? I would probably pick some different exercises in there as well but I don't know its kinda jumbled. why the mix of legs abs and back? and chest and arms? I would rework it a bit and fine tune it. If you want strength you can forget about all the little isolation stuff and work the muscles in groups.

To be honest, I don't even know what the hell a Bulgarian split squat is, but I will look it up, thanks ;) I will try what you suggested this week and see how it goes. My back is from previous injury from years of hockey. It doesn't bug me when I play hockey or anything else normally but when I squat I can feel that something is not quite right. I have seen the doc and he says the x rays look fine so who knows. I lost my faith in doctors when I was sick for 9 months, lost about 20 pounds in a month and a half, went through every test known to friggen man and they never found anything wrong with me:confused:

So I should try arms, chest, back and then the next day legs and abs?

You may want to get some ART done for your back. It sounds like it make an imbalance, could be hip flexers, IQ band or something like that. ART could really do wonders for you. Also what is your core strength like, I would bet that if you developed killer core strength that you maybe able to sqaut without any problems :D

sorry forgot to answer the last part :D I would work upper body together possibly in supersets. Then lower body and core (abs and mid and lower back) together if you like a split day workout (as I do :D)

Awesome, thanks

That was my hope, to develop more core strength and hopefully alleviate the issues with my back. My core strength is pretty decent but I wouldn't mind a little more.

Thanks again for the help

No prob :D If you have any questions you can pm me as well. Esp on core strength and coming back from a back injury.

as far as you lower body workout goes, you need squats and deads and variations on these.

lose the belt and start back on the squats using lighter weights (even just the bar) than you would normally go for. take your time and be patient and slowly increase the weight over a period of time. try doing more sets of less reps (5x5 is ideal) to build strength up. the same goes for deadlifts, these are key movements that will not hurt if done right with an appropriate amount of weight.

leg presses are just about a complete waste of time, same goes for ham curls. you could well end up harming yourself in the long run; besides, these use similar muscles to deads and squats but in a far less natural way - i understand that you think you have a mysterious back problem but these will do more harm than good in the long term.

jenn is correct about your split - have a look here ExRx Weight Training Workout Templates

if core strength is your primary goal go for a balanced full body (all in one session) workout. squat, dead, push, pull, twist. it takes far fewer movements than you'd think. ive just learned that and wish i had a year ago.

as far as you lower body workout goes, you need squats and deads and variations on these.

lose the belt and start back on the squats using lighter weights (even just the bar) than you would normally go for. take your time and be patient and slowly increase the weight over a period of time. try doing more sets of less reps (5x5 is ideal) to build strength up. the same goes for deadlifts, these are key movements that will not hurt if done right with an appropriate amount of weight.

leg presses are just about a complete waste of time, same goes for ham curls. you could well end up harming yourself in the long run; besides, these use similar muscles to deads and squats but in a far less natural way - i understand that you think you have a mysterious back problem but these will do more harm than good in the long term.

jenn is correct about your split - have a look here ExRx Weight Training Workout Templates

if core strength is your primary goal go for a balanced full body (all in one session) workout. squat, dead, push, pull, twist. it takes far fewer movements than you'd think. ive just learned that and wish i had a year ago.

I agree, however he has to correct what ever the problem is with his back before continuing with back squats. Until he can squat painfree I don't think that repeatedly irrating the area is a wise idea. I am currently coming back off a back injury myself and one of the things I always follow is this- if it hurts don't do it. I worked hard with my trainer friend to make sure that I can work my way back up to squatting that 225lbs and beyond. Front squats may help too, if they don't cause pain. I honestly think that the problem is somewhere in the area of the IQ band, hip flexors or posterior chain somewhere. What kind of stretching are you doing my65289stang?

I stretch out really well before my workouts, especially my back. I stretch it well but don't over-do it so I don't hurt it again.

Thanks for the additional comments
Brian

Back