Why 50% of Personal Trainers Suck -PART 1

Here is another article...that is made up entirely of opinions of mine. Enjoy!

I can feel the fists clamping and the teeth grinding as I write this. I can see the eyes slither up as if an un-welcomed cousin has entered the party. I can hear the whispers and the “whatevers” under everyone’s breaths. Well...if you are still interested in reading this, its because you want to stand apart from the 125,000 new fitness professionals that join the ranks every year, and hopefully, you don’t want to be one of the 25,000 that quit after 1 year.

In my opinion, you are going to continue reading this because you want to hear what I have to say. And who they hell am I you may ask? I am a lot of things....an observer, a student, a teacher, a leader, and a friend. I am a professional, an educator, and a coach. I remember being asked what I did for living years ago and replying, “I’m a personal trainer”, and everyone kinda looking at me like I had 3 heads.

“You mean you show people how to use those machines?”

“....Mmmmm, close....I help fat people get skinny and I help slow people run faster, and I help scared people be brave...and I help weak people be stronger, and I help diseased people become healthy”.

So, being labeled a personal trainer has come around over the last 3-4 years. Being one is not as foreign as it used to be when I first started out. Of course, they’re those that started out before me. Oh, yeah...they were called Biff, Zach, and Lance. They were the biggest guys in the gym with the darkest tans, and the highest Ottomix shoes around. They wore bandanas, belts, and earrings in the gym. They smelled like protein and they had more weightlifting gloves than some women had shoes. Some were old too...frequently telling me stories of feats past—big benches, big deads, big squats....torn pecks, bad backs, and messed up knees.

So these guys eventually fizzled out and a new breed of trainers came around. These trainers came out of college with degrees and athletic backgrounds. These new trainers came out of aerobics rooms and sought out certifications. These new trainers rose up out of the dungy gyms and became students of the game. These new trainers used what they learned in books and did research on themselves. They understood the function of the hamstring in a lunge is to decelerate the movement....they understood the function of the rotator cuff...they understood that cardiovascular performance was directly related to functional capacity. These new trainers even looked professional. They wore khaki’s, polo and golf shirts, dress shoes, and had smiles. These new trainers practiced what they preached because they learned in their own trainings; they learned in athletics; they learned in step classes; and they learned through trial and error. These trainers had a passion to share the knowledge they obtained with the average joe and once they were able to help their first client...a confidence was born. These trainers understood that their passion was becoming their bread and butter. These trainers began to understand selling their services was part of the game and they wanted to market their success to more and more clients. They understood they can achieve longevity in this field, rather which assuming it was a short term career detour. They made money! They helped people lose weight! They helped the weak become stronger, and the youths become more athletic. They wore the distinct “Trainer” label on their shirts and they carried their own business cards! Soon, word of mouth was the best sales tactic they could use...client were referring friends and family! Results were being noted everywhere—in the gym, at family reunions, at church gatherings, in public, and in homes!

But then “they “came...

Yes, then the ones that had little or no experience came in. The ones that wanted all the glamour without working for it. The ones that thought their time was too valuable and demanded to be paid more. The ones that followed all the false prophet magazines. The ones that felt they were destined to be trainers.

I wrote this article because in 6 years of direct personal training and 3 years of direct management of personal trainers, I have had the opportunity to interview 43 “wanna-be” trainers in my career. Some were destined to be good trainers and I hired them, some were destined to waste my time. I have the opportunity to instruct classes on personal trainers in community colleges in Connecticut and each year, I meet over 100 new people wanting to become a personal trainer. I workout in 4 different clubs 3 times a week and I have the opportunity to observe trainers in action. I teach workshops on advanced strength training techniques for trainers 4 times a year and have the opportunity to speak to trainers in their first year “on the job”. I talk and I listen, and I realize that 50% of the trainers fail. Here are my top 5 reason why:

(Look for Part 2 soon)

can you plz make shorter hehe. so much reading but no valid points made yet!!

anyways. Should I think twice about getting a trainer then @ my local fitness club? your comments are quite questionable.

Azn_Drag0n said:
wat the hell... who ever hires a personal trainer is either an idiot, a richass, or gay.
Very naive comment, I guarantee you'd have better gains with a knowledgeable personal trainer helping you, and pushing you.

Nice write-up, although I liked the Biffs..I might move this to the Articles section..

Azn_Drag0n said:
wat the hell... who ever hires a personal trainer is either an idiot, a richass, or gay.

Grow up and stop being an ignorant prick.

Have you ever thought about people that have done absolutely no physical activity? Where are they suppose to start? Everyone has to learn somehow, and it's best to learn from somebody that hopefully knows their stuff.

Azn_Drag0n said:

Coming from a guy who thought hypertrophy might be a disease, this comment doesn't surprise me.

First, the comment about personal trainers being useless is just ridiculous. It is my passion and a joy to have helped people drastically change their lives. Not everyone is as educated as you when it comes to fitness, so you might want to get real.

Regarding the article, it is interesting so far. I am not quite sure what your point is yet. Competence is an issue in any profession today. If you are trying to say that there are a lot of "trainers" out there that are not out for the client's best interest, you could have shortened it up a lot. To date, there are literally hundreds of certifications available to obtain. Only a handful of them are valid and legit. Also, book smarts mean very little in this day in age. Really research trainers you are thinking about hiring before jumping right in. This is a country driven by money and unfortunately, many people are completely out for themselves. You will find this in personal training, finance, home construction, car sales, etc, etc, etc.

Just common sense to make sure you know who you are hiring.

Personal Trainers dont HAVE to be bad but with the simplicity of most training providers it is, for a lot of people, an easy way to get a career out of nothing.

Average gym rats can train as a PT without actually getting a grasp of human health and biochemistry + biomechanics. Then they simply train people how they train themselves.

Until it becomes necessary to have a 3 yr degree like in most other professions, decent personal trainers will probably remain a minority.

Having said that, for most people just doing SOMETHING represents a success, so even if it means an unknowledgeable PT that they enjoy working with then I suppose its all good

My friend is a personal trainer and I really wish I had his knowledge! True some are absolutely usless but get someone who really knows their stuff and you can see big gains!

I've never had a PT say anything that I couldn't find out myself. All the info on work outs, form and diet is readily available to you if you just look.

Sure Skull, you are right. However, why is it that you can find anything about finance and investing as well if you do the proper searching yet financial advising is one of the most prevalent and popular careers this day in age.

Some people don't want to have to be experts in fitness. They want to pay someone to show them the path they must walk.

On top of this, in most of the gyms I have had the pleasure of exercising in, the majority of gym goers do the same old stale routine day in and day out, chasing their illusive "dream bod" never being proactive with their approach.

I am biased since I am a personal trainer. And believe me, I know there are many bad trainers out there. I just see a very good use for the "qualified" trainer for the average gym goer.

I also think incompetence is not a personal training problem, it is a global problem infecting all professions this day of age.

Just my 2 cents.

There is the same problem in martial arts .

a few years back I started TKD, The instructor was rubbish, mainly because TKD is a sport, but he thought he knew the "street side" of TKD. In fact everything he told the class would have got them killed and after one class I stayed behind and talked to him about this and told him that what he was doing wouldn’t work. We went thru some of his defenses and close quarter attacks and I showed he why they wouldn’t work and what does work. he got pissed of that I was undermining him and told me not to come back. For those that don’t know, I am a part time karate instructor and also train in many forms of Japanese and Chinese martial arts, I wasn’t just being a git.

The problem was that he had never used it, he was just teaching what he was told to teach which is what I call "the safe way" so that nobody gets hurt and sues the TAGB. Its that same with this new generation of personal trainers. They get taught "the safe way", and because they never use it, they dont know its wrong.

I have recently spoken to a guy who just got his NVQ in personal training. Spent 4 years in college and didn’t even know that you would build muscle faster doing a chest press rather than flyes!

Good article, looking forward to the next part!

evolution said:
Coming from a guy who thought hypertrophy might be a disease, this comment doesn't surprise me.

Wait...wait...wait. Am I understanding that correctly? Can you find the post?

Thanks Green.

I'm scared of having someone else in control. There is very few I know of that I would trust to take on as PTs.

Back