Newbie looking for some input

I've been on these boards for a few weeks now, since the time i have joined I have been lifting consistently 3 times a week(whole body workout) MWF. I have been eating good, getting the protein carbs, and calories. Anyway I am looking to get my body in shape for an upcoming trip, it is in late November of 2006. I am looking to get a physique as close to this as possible. Anyway I have enough time at least I think. I have a few main questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me out on.

Right now I am 6'1" 135 lbs

1.) Is this a reasonable goal, if not what is?
2.) In order to get a bpdy like this what is the best rep range, and how many sets?
3.) From a dieting standpoint, should I focus purely on lifting, or should I approach this the same as bulking,with high protein carbs, and calories?
4.) Will cardio help or hurt me when it comes to this physique, if needed how many times a week.
5.) Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Here is my workout

Squats 5X10
Leg Extensions 5X15
Leg Curls 5X10 (feels funny on my right knee) should I keep doing it
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 5X10
Seated Rows 5X10
Bench Press 5X10
Barbell Bicep Curls 5X10
Tricep Extensions 5X10
Pushups 5XTill Failure
Dips 5X10

Abs - 3 exercises, 1 for upper, 1 for lower/obliques, and side bends.

Last edited:
why do a ton of people always name brad pitt as who they wanna look like?

Anyway, as I'm sure you know, you have to eat a ton, if you aren't eating enough it may be good to get a weight gainer, so if you are as eating well, as you said, have you noticed a difference in your body?

Also, what exactly does your workout consist of? You said full body, but that's kinda vague, sets? reps? etc..

I have muscle juice on the way, it has 55g of portien per serving, 126g of carbs, and 1021 calories 100 of whci are from fat. I have noticed that I am becoming slightly larger.

Squats 5X10
Leg Extensions 5X15
Leg Curls 5X10 (feels funny on my right knee) should I keep doing it
Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 5X10
Seated Rows 5X10
Bench Press 5X10
Barbell Bicep Curls 5X10
Tricep Extensions 5X10
Pushups 5XTill Failure
Dips 5X10

Abs - 3 exercises, 1 for upper, 1 for lower/obliques, and side bends.

Each session I add one additional rep, so 5X10 becomes 5X11, and so on. Once I get to 15 I up the weight. If squats are hurting my back should I find something else. Are there any holes in this workout?

Are you doing all this each workout? If so that is wayyyyyyy too much. The recommended set range is btwn 18 to 24 total sets per workout. Find yourself a good premade routine and stick with it. Check out some of Chad Waterbury's routines over at T-Nation. He has some good mass building options. And you have to eat. The gainer in and of itself is worthless. You have to be eating at least 500 calories over your maintainence level to grow. Open an account at fitday to see what you are really getting and make sure to be consistent with both your diet and routine.

The guys are spitting the truth.

You diet (carbs/prot/fat/calories) will determine what you can do. At 6'1 you can easily weigh in at 180-200 depending on the size you want to be, so you need to gain 45-50 lbs. This is doable with the proper diet and exercise routine. Since you are so lean I am going to guess you have a metabolism to beat hell, so you may not need to focus on your cardio as much.

1) Get your total calories / day you want to consume. (ie. 13X180=2340+500 for a total of ~2740). This is an example of a simple formula.
2) Now you want your 2700 odd calories to come from the right groups carbs/prot/fat, one recommendation is 35/50/15 prot/carbs/fat.
3) Your exercise routine you will want to try and use less reps and more weight, after you have master proper technique and form. Safety first.

Make sure you have squats and deadlifts in your routine, those are your mass builders. You can do full body workouts or split them up whichever you feel works best for you, everyone has their opinions.

Get a solid multivitamin going.

Eat 6+ meals a day to keep the fuel entering the fire.

Hope that helps some.

PS. Where did you get that picture of me from?

Last edited:
tenpercent said:
Open an account at fitday to see what you are really getting and make sure to be consistent with both your diet and routine.

I like this site, thanks for posting it earlier.

At 6'1 and 135, you have a lot of potential for weight gain. Is that considered underweight?

With the amount of "I wanna look like Brad Pitt" posts, maybe we should dedicate a forum category to it. haha

Thanks for all the input guys, yeah I am considered to be underweight. Yeah all this helps out a ton. I will go check that site out right away. As for where I got that picture from, I took it off my wall dedicated to Brad Pitt, JUST KIDDING I got it off of google here is the link if you want it

I just want to get this straight, and make sure I have htis right. I want to make my body like that, not make it huge, so I should do about 3 sets per exercise until failure?

Last edited:
No, you do not need to go to failure. Find your self a good pre-made routine. Their is a book from MIke Meija called Scrawny to Brawny. I am reading it now. It is a good read and has a great workout. It would help you alot. Also at JPFITNESS.com go to the fitness forums and there is a forum devoted to Scrawny to Brawny there. Tell them ROOKIE sent you!

And read through this..

ok thanks man i will definately look into that, I found this workout online and was wondering if it would work

EXERCISE
Crunches - 20-30 Reps
Squats - 12-15 Reps
Leg Curls - 12-15 Reps
Flat-Bench Presses - 10-12 Reps
Chinups - 10-12 Reps
Presses Behind-the-Neck - 12-15 Reps
Extensions - 10-12 Reps
Bicep Curls - 10-12 Reps
Standing Calf Raises - 15-20 Reps

Everything is 3 sets with the exception of crunches, they are 2 sets. I dont really have anything to do a chinup on, any other exercises that would replace this possibly? So am I good to go or should I find something else?

If you are looking to gain you will be better served by a routine of compound exercises. Deadlifts, Squats, bench press, cleans, pull ups, dips. These types of lifts incorporate large muscles and more muscles in turn giving you more bang for your buck. Read that link I gave you, it will help.

I am trying to gain as well. Yesterday I did squats, bench press, split squats and rows, tomorrow I will do Cleans, pull ups, dips and deads. I am doing the big compound lifts( squats, cleans, deads, bench) as 5 x 5's and the rest 3 x 8.

An intersting side note I read, Brad Pitt in figh club weighed 155lbs (from what I read) and he is 6' tall. There is being big and looking big or both. You can give the illusion of extra mass by being more cut, if that is what you are wanting.

Back