Low carb alternative to bread or cake, Perfect for diabetics or people on Atkins.
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cream cheese (To make it non-dairy, substitute 3 tbsp. mayonaise or 3 oz. of mashed ripe avocado)
- a pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon fiberhusk / psyllium seed husks OR oat FIBER
- ½ teaspoon baking powder OR cream of tartar
- [IF WANTED: HERBS, SEEDS, SPICES, SWEETENER]
- 1. Preheat oven to 300F.
- 2. Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
- 3. Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- 4. Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. Add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
- 5. Very gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- 6. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 e (or 8 smaller) mounds. [I use a nonstick muffin top pan.] Flatten each mound slightly.
- 7. Bake in the middle of the oven at 300° F for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
- 8. . Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store in a loosely open sack and allow to rest on the counter before use (otherwise they might be too moist). Can be frozen.
- TIP: Add your choice of herbs, seeds, spices, and/or sweetener to the yolk mixture for use as sandwich buns or as cake with berries and whipped cream. Savory: dry mustard, sesame seeds, or caraway seeds. Sweet: cinnamon, ginger, or Splenda.