Cate's Diary

packing our big crop of walnuts into glass jars & biscuit tins (to keep them away from rodents)
Won't they go moldy that way? My dad puts them in wire cages for drying. But then they're mostly used as bird and dog treats since they're way too plentiful for us to eat.

No fair that you haven't seen your 1 kilo weightloss goal for the month when you've been doing so well! I agree with Marsia though: the best thing is to keep making healthy choices regardless without stressing too much and at some point the scale will budge.

That sounds like such a festive visit with T and such a productive week. I've never had Afghani food before. What sorts of dishes did you have? I have only had good success with weight loss if I ignore that I am not losing consistently and just concentrate on making it through the plateau weight times. It seems like I don't lose weight if I am stressed either. I am starting to do exercise where at the end I am slightly out of breath and will keep increasing the time I'm in that state. I need to eat less to see any results, but I am hoping I can get good results to report back to you. I hope your doctors have good advice, too! How did G's golfing go? Was he ok competing with people in the higher rankings? I'm glad you have a nice printer that doesn't give you grief, too!
I don't remember what the food was called, M, but the dumplings were a bit tasteless & the flatbread with filling was mostly flatbread but had more flavour. I'll have something different next market. I'll have a go at doing exercise that leaves me slightly out of breath too. I try to mix my walks up a bit & get breathless, but exercise to music at home would be better. I'm looking forward to hearing any advice offered from the docs, especially the cardio.
G was OK with competing at a much higher level. He played well.
The printer is better than my old one.
Won't they go moldy that way? My dad puts them in wire cages for drying. But then they're mostly used as bird and dog treats since they're way too plentiful for us to eat.
I hope not. Usually, I dry them in cardboard & I don't have any wire cages to keep out rodents. It's the most walnuts we have ever had. I will give some away at golf on Wednesday as the women often bring in their spare produce.
No fair that you haven't seen your 1 kilo weightloss goal for the month when you've been doing so well! I agree with Marsia though: the best thing is to keep making healthy choices regardless without stressing too much and at some point the scale will budge.
I saw the loss, Llama & then it disappeared again :( It is very frustrating but I won't give up.

G & I have had another good day at home & have been doing lots of cleaning, wood cutting & Archie walking.

Good for you getting all those chores ticked off the list.

I can imagine it would be frustrating not seeing the weight come off when you've been doing so well food and exercise-wise. I think it's great that you've been tracking and can take the info into the doctor to discuss further options. One thing i think to keep in mind is weight is only one part of the picture of health so with all your good work to eat well and move lots, you will be getting health benefits even if the scale won't cooperate.

Good for you getting all those chores ticked off the list.

I can imagine it would be frustrating not seeing the weight come off when you've been doing so well food and exercise-wise. I think it's great that you've been tracking and can take the info into the doctor to discuss further options. One thing i think to keep in mind is weight is only one part of the picture of health so with all your good work to eat well and move lots, you will be getting health benefits even if the scale won't cooperate.
Thanks, Liza.
I try to keep it in mind, but I don't like feeling this fat. I don't want to be thin either, but even 10 kilos lighter would make me feel so much better & would be less stress on my joints. I'm trying not to get discouraged about it.

My deficit yesterday was 213 cals.
BF today was eggs & avocado on seeded, GF bread. I'm experimenting today with a protein drink for lunch to see if it fills me up. I just checked my "recipes" on MFP & changed the protein powder to 20g instead of 10 & I will reach my protein target today. Yay! I'll order some more soon as I'm almost out. It's not cheap. I get an unflavoured one. I mix it with unsweetened oat milk, which I love. I can add a drop or two of vanilla essence if I want.

I hope the protein shake feels like a meal for you. Are you getting the same predatory weightloss ads as I am here or do you have a decent ad blocker?

The shake didn't feel like a meal at all, Llama & I won't do that again. It did not feel like food. The protein powder I have had for over a year & I add it to my oats for breakfasts but I won't look at replacing meals with it. I have a great ad blocker on my laptop. I miss being able to log onto the forum on my phone. I get lots of ads on MFP on my phone though, but I ignore them.
I had 4 biscuits with cheese & 3 pickled mussels & have been looking forward to dinner all afternoon. Dinner will be West African rabbit with veggies. The rabbit did not come from West Africa :)
Edited:
I just got notified that our favourite live music show will be on in Hobart in October. Tickets go on sale Friday. I'm so excited!

Last edited:
I was thinking about shrinkflation and how that might not be the most terrible thing because I think portions of meals have crept up over the years in many places. I sometimes watch a YouTube channel on a lovely man who is rebuilding stone barns in the mountains of Italy to make a little homestead, and he works his butt off all day and has these little meals, and so do all his guests who come to help. As a kid I'd often forget to eat or I'd eat little meals like that and be full and content. I think I am going to train myself down to smaller portions and try to savor them more. I think I'll get some protein powder too. I can't afford enough good quality meat and am not fantastic at eating enough beans and tofu to supplement. I like your idea of mixing it in with the morning porridge. Your dinner sounds delectable, and it made me laugh about it not being a West African rabbit! That's great you have a fun concert to go to soon!

I wouldn't be able to replace a meal with a protein drink either. It does help when I drink it before a meal to stop me from over-eating I think though. Also I usually try and have one after a run or bike ride as apparently one is supposed to have a good dose of protein after exercise? (maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm)...

Using the powder in your breakfast does sound like a better idea. Liquids don't feel satisfying to me. West-African rabbit would be much better!

Thanks, Liza, Marsia & Llama.
I try to eat meals on smaller plates. The protein powder is handy & I must order some more soon. I feel tired this morning after a bad night's sleep (again). My brain gets overactive often during the night & I have so many things going around & around. It's often music. Last night it was Joni Mitchell's "Coyote". *sigh* I'm off to play golf with the women. I'll be back later hopefully when I'm feeling more with it....

I guess if you are going to be kept up at night by music, Joni Mitchell isn't a bad choice, but sorry you didn't get a good night's sleep. Hope you have a good day golfing and that you get a nice burst of energy!

I'm with you on the over-active brain in the night. I seem to have to keep putting on guided relaxation stuff on, or talks, or whatever, to keep my brain from taking off on me...

I also get songs stuck in my head sometimes when I'm trying to sleep. It is unbelieveably annoying, haha. I wonder is everyone like that?

Sorry to hear you are discouraged a little about the weight loss, but I have to say, the majority of your diary is so positive Cate and there is so much light and love in your days. Yes, maybe being a little thinner might enhance it slightly, but I think you have all the really important things going for you!

Thank you, Marsia, Llama, Liza & Em :grouphug: I was tired all day yesterday but played OK. I snaffled T & K early so I got to play with them. They're such lovely company. T played super well & had the best score by far. J put on an afternoon tea for Mothers' Day which was nice. I napped during the evening but took 2 AHs to make sure that I got a good night's sleep & I did. I feel so much better for it.
I also get songs stuck in my head sometimes when I'm trying to sleep. It is unbelieveably annoying, haha. I wonder is everyone like that?
I wonder that too!
Sorry to hear you are discouraged a little about the weight loss, but I have to say, the majority of your diary is so positive Cate and there is so much light and love in your days. Yes, maybe being a little thinner might enhance it slightly, but I think you have all the really important things going for you!
Thank you Em. I have to remind myself that I am very lucky.
My laptop battery is about to die so I'll come back later.
I had a 500 cal deficit yesterday :)

Yay for sleep, and exercise in fun company! Great deficit too.
I should remember about Mother's day on Sunday... It's so soon after my mom's birthday we've never done much with it - or Father's day, for that matter.

Yay for sleep, and exercise in fun company! Great deficit too.
I should remember about Mother's day on Sunday... It's so soon after my mom's birthday we've never done much with it - or Father's day, for that matter.
Thanks, Llama. My birthday is the week after Mother's Day, so I don't worry about it either. Just a message or a quick call is nice though. I definitely don't want MD presents.
I booked our tickets for the show in October. We'll be going with R & C & D & A again like we did last time. Everyone loved it so much & it was the first time we met C.
I have felt tired today, but my legs weren't so I took Arch for a couple of km walk, did some gardening & am about to have a pot of herbal tea.

I have felt tired today, but my legs weren't so I took Arch for a couple of km walk, did some gardening & am about to have a pot of herbal tea.
Oh good for you getting out when tired. Sometimes it's hard to know if one should stay in and rest or force yourself out...I do usually find that going out is the better choice.

That's lovely taking the family to a fun music event that you all love. It's fun hearing how happy you are for T getting her best score, and for how nice it is to get out and play with T and K. Sounds like a nice home day with good exercise and doggo company!

Not only a fun event but also something to remind you spring will come again!

Back