Energy Expenditure and Weight Loss

cheers steveio for yet another enlightening article thingee. I read it and actually understood it all! its helped me understand and identify a few things that ive noticed with other people and myself. Those Bugg things look interesting, though a little gimmicky and expensive :O

Glad you enjoyed it Wishes. Yea, I'm not sure how accurate those bodybuggs are, but at the very least, they can track trends in caloric outputs for people. There are a few people using them over on Lyle's board with interesting results.

If you're a menstruating woman, you should be aware that morning waking temperature (what in the "trying to conceive" population goes by "basal body temperature") is also affected by progesterone. If you're in the luteal (post-ovulatory, pre-menstruation) phase of your cycle, elevated progesterone levels will also raise your BBT.

I have no opinion as to whether elevated progesterone boosts your metabolism. But for most women, a pre-ovulatory BBT in the range above would be unusually high, and a post-ovulatory BBT in the range above would be unusually low.

As with any of these loose metrics dealing with metabolism.... it depends. Just a rough gauge, is all.

I'm starting my upcoming cut with a handful of weeks of PSMF.

Curious, but what company supps do you use?

Been doing a lot of research on Biotest promoted on t-mag. Seem really good (but of course BodyRecomp doesn't have much use for Berrardi).

Have to be careful here in Canada because of shipping and import duties. Some good companies from Canada like MuscleTech, but it's always good to try something new.

Also, not sure if they'll even let stuff like t boosters (Alpha Male) into the country.

Been doing a lot of research on Biotest promoted on t-mag. Seem really good (but of course BodyRecomp doesn't have much use for Berrardi).

Have to be careful here in Canada because of shipping and import duties. Some good companies from Canada like MuscleTech, but it's always good to try something new.

Also, not sure if they'll even let stuff like t boosters (Alpha Male) into the country.

They say that but I have yet to have anything seized. Mostly customs just likes to jack you an extra $20 or so on a $300 order from Biotest. They don't even explain what it's for, haha. "Oh hey you owe us $20 for caring about your health fool!" Still it's worth it in a lot of cases because even some of the better online places (I can recommend a couple if you like) and Popeye's (where I shop in town) often charge twice or more what it costs to get products directly from Biotest.

I really can't stand reading their "megascientific" ad copy, but I've gotta say their products have always stood out for me. In a good way.

Thanks, Focus.

Never realized that you were a Canuk also.

Fortunately, I live 39 miles from the border and I have a physical American address I can ship FedEx to, so I drive down and then do my own "direct importing" into Canada.

If you get my drift. :)

Thanks, Focus.

Never realized that you were a Canuk also.

Fortunately, I live 39 miles from the border and I have a physical American address I can ship FedEx to, so I drive down and then do my own "direct importing" into Canada.

If you get my drift. :)

Contraband!!1!1!!one! :D

What products are you considering? Just curious.

Also, yep. Reppin' the C~spot, you know!? :) :rolleyes:

Truthfully, I don't use anything besides your basic whey.

I've heard good things about biotest's products.... but you're definitely over-paying for their stuff and I'm not sure the 'mileage' you're going to get from them is worth it.

For instance, my PWO shake consists of a whey protein along with some dextrose and maltodextrin. Some aren't down with this shake.... but I've always gotten out of my physique what I've wanted and it's economical.

The bodyrecomp forum is littered with heavy supp/drug users though.... so if you're looking for info I'd turn there.

Very interesting article. Thanks Steve.

I found it telling that, once again, we can say "here are all the rules for metabolism ... unless you are a woman. If you are a woman, we have relatively no clue because your hormones scare us. Just limp along and figure it out because we sure can't." LOL

God Bless,
mik

As with any of these loose metrics dealing with metabolism.... it depends. Just a rough gauge, is all.

Drat these imperfect, unreliable bodies! ;)

What I meant to say (tired last night) was that if you really cared if your metabolism was "normal," averaging over a cycle would be a more reliable method than picking a day at random without regard to what part of your cycle you were at. Assuming that a degree is about 10%, you could be off by 15-20% in either direction just due to normal hormonal fluctation.

Very interesting article. Thanks Steve.

I found it telling that, once again, we can say "here are all the rules for metabolism ... unless you are a woman. If you are a woman, we have relatively no clue because your hormones scare us. Just limp along and figure it out because we sure can't." LOL

God Bless,
mik

Hahaha, yea, being female really sucks. Damn biological safety nets that are in place to assure the survival of the human race!

As an aside, Mr. Lyle has taken a very keen interesting in researching the dieting female as of late. Thankfully he likes figuring things out and he's damn good at it. I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of a new project regarding the subject.

Drat these imperfect, unreliable bodies! ;)

What I meant to say (tired last night) was that if you really cared if your metabolism was "normal," averaging over a cycle would be a more reliable method than picking a day at random without regard to what part of your cycle you were at. Assuming that a degree is about 10%, you could be off by 15-20% in either direction just due to normal hormonal fluctation.

Perfect advice.

Good stuff but I have a question:

At one point in the article he implies that some people may use a 15 calorie per pound figure to maintain.

Thats 5300 calories for me.

The other complicated procedure I did with the long equation from one of the stickies on this board told me 3300.

The equation I used from my "Nutrition for dummies" book told me 4700.

Now im confused but Im not altering my diet because of it or anything as im already under all of that. Would someone be willing to help me figure out my maintenance? I'm 5'11, 350 pounds, decent shape(can run 5 miles in 50 minutes or less).

Good stuff but I have a question:

At one point in the article he implies that some people may use a 15 calorie per pound figure to maintain.

Thats 5300 calories for me.

The other complicated procedure I did with the long equation from one of the stickies on this board told me 3300.

The equation I used from my "Nutrition for dummies" book told me 4700.

Now im confused but Im not altering my diet because of it or anything as im already under all of that. Would someone be willing to help me figure out my maintenance? I'm 5'11, 350 pounds, decent shape(can run 5 miles in 50 minutes or less).

Nobody can help you. All those equations are estimates. The only way outside of getting hooked up to all sorts of neat machinery is to track your stats. If you're maintaining your weigh and inches on 4000ish, it's safe to assume that that's your maintenance.

Plus, I wouldn't really sweat it too much, as your maintenance is a moving target. People spend so much time worrying about calculating this number exactly.... a number that is most definitely not going to be the same a couple of months from now if you're doing things right and consistently.

In general, the bigger you are, the more off those equations are going to be.... they'll generally overestimate your maintenance...... but it all depends, really.

Why fitness is important?

Why is Health Related Fitness important? Knowing the importance of anything we do will help to keep us focused. Practically every news or story online or offline you see mentions fitness, but not all of them explain why health related fitness is important. Our body is an invaluable asset that stays with us day and night throughout and for as long as we live. It is very important that we treat it well and keep it physically fit.
The general attitude of people towards fitness has changed and over the past few years you and I are now much more concerned and aware of the need to live positively. We now recognize the importance of physical fitness than ever before. We are encouraged to adopt a 'positive attitude' to our health by many talk shows online forums and fitness websites through better care of our bodies and minds.

Fitness may just be the saving grace when you find yourself in a life threatening situation. Note that I expect you to be a martial artist, but you will need to really be fit to run for your dear life and not gas out after just 100 meters.

Self Esteem- A person who is fit tend to have confidence in public places and amongst peers. Not just because they look god to everyone around but because of the inner comfort and feel-good disposition.

The problem of coronary heart diseases, diabetes, hypertension, cancers are all conditions that can be avoided if you take out time to make sure that your body is fit. Exercises prevent a lot of problems.

Your body can better handle dangerous chemicals like free radicals if we exercise more often. Your heart muscles grow thicker and pump more blood per minute, nutrient absorption is at optimal levels, bones grow bigger and healing process occurs faster.

Positive health is all that it takes to maintain a minimum level of health and fitness to keep your body looking and feeling good and at optimum functional state, as well as maintaining a level of physical fitness.

Health and fitness is determined by what we eat, how we live our lives. In order words, it is determined by our life style. The kind of daily activities we love to get involved in, the type of food we love to eat, the number of times we eat and the amount of food we eat and physical exercise.

Keeping fit is about how we as individuals choose to live our lives and the levels of fitness we aspire to. We all need a certain amount of the right type of exercise to keep us healthy, regardless of our lifestyle, age or physical ability.

Maintaining a good level of physical fitness will give you a feeling of better health through increased energy and vitality, it is a happy feeling that results in even greater happiness.

Fitness keeps you in the right frame of mind. There is increase metal sharpness and concentration all resulting from increase blood circulation in the brain achieved by proper dieting and physical exercises. Fitness is something we should all desire.

The research for energy balance is so strong, it's amazing that most people don't know about it yet and get suckered into diet pill and shake scams.

Originally Posted by CavemanSam

The research for energy balance is so strong, it's amazing that most people don't know about it yet and get suckered into diet pill and shake scams.

I agree with ya there!

I think an important point that usually gets omitted from presentations of this material is error bars. When you use a formula to estimate your calorie needs or calories spent on activity the answer you get implicitly has a "plus or minus X calories" attached to it. This isn't to say the formulas are broken, it's just the nature of an estimate from any model that there are error bars.

One formula for calories needed to maintain weight comes from Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) [. They express this point about error bars as "By definition, the estimate would be expected to underestimate the true energy expenditure 50 percent of the time and to overestimate it 50 percent of the time, leading to corresponding changes in body weight." and the error bars there are +/- 200 Calories.

The numbers given by calorie counters are from formulas like this, so they are going to have these errors. I suspect that's one of the reasons maintenance is so difficult -- half of the people are just prescribed too many calories.

Back