Cate's Diary

They are fascinating creatures. I just wish they wouldn't take our golf balls. It's funny, but I feel a bit better knowing that they are probably playing games with them!
Lunch was delicious & I offloaded about a third of my rice onto G's plate before I started. I went to the big library in town while G gave blood & we also did some shopping & banking. I needed new plant saucers & some motion lights & we did a quick supermarket shop. It was a productive & pleasant morning.

K and I looked up ravens playing while listening to the link you shared and had fun watching a video where someone put out eggs and golf balls and a raven was figuring out which were which and taking just the eggs. Do you see them flying off with your balls or do you just see that the ball is gone when you get there? That's so happy that you are providing entertainment to the ravens, even if it is pesky. Good idea not letting all the rice stay on your plate where you could eat too much of it! Sounds like a nice satisfying day in town.

That was a great little clip about the ravens. Yes they are so funny and playful! I'm glad it makes you feel better when they steal your balls if you know they are having fun with them! So funny that they seem to especially like the colored balls--that sounds like them--always liking the interesting things. Excellent that you are adapting to having less food. That hunger when one starts cutting calories can be really hard.

Ravens are so smart. Apparently, they can gauge car speed. You never see a raven dead on the road but you often see them eating road kill. They just glance at you coming along, wander off the road & come back after you have gone. They look so laid back about it. I don't think they prefer coloured balls, Liza, but most of us thought they were taking the white balls thinking they were eggs so we tried coloured balls.
I have shrunk my appetite as I couldn't finish my main course last night & there was no way I was going to have sweets, even though G had made a dessert/cake. I will probably freeze some of it.

Dinner with the GKs last night was lovely. E is going to move to Melbourne at the end of next month. She's the same age as I was when I moved there. I think she'll be better off over there. She wants to finish school but is going to do that over there. Life with her mother is becoming intolerable. I think she is tired of mothering her mother. She deserves a better life.
It was lovely sitting around chatting with them. I love A's partner, L. I got a message from A when they got back home saying he had never seen L looking more at home except when she was at home. They all talked about how they love it up here & how we stay the same. E has dreamt of our house & C said he would like to have a sleepover now that he wouldn't be scared of everything like he was as a small child. I'll let him know that he can stay any time, especially when E leaves. He'll miss her. He's a sweetie & is coming out of his shell. He's so tall (well over 6' now) & skinny. He loves G's cooking. He says he'll try anything here now that he has eaten "the little fish with eyes looking at you" (whitebait patties). He tried an oyster last time he was here.

It's the family lunch again today in town at G's brother's place. I'll try to skip dessert without offending & will resist all of the extras that come out.
My deficit yesterday was 374, with eating lunch out & having folks for dinner. I walked a lot.

Apparently, they can gauge car speed. You never see a raven dead on the road but you often see them eating road kill.
They also know to throw nuts on the street on pedestrian crossings where cars will crush them and then wait for the light to turn so they can eat in peace. I love that.
I have shrunk my appetite as I couldn't finish my main course last night & there was no way I was going to have sweets, even though G had made a dessert/cake.
Awesome! The reward for persistence.

Poor E and C: it must be rough for them. Good thing you can give them at least some stability in their lives. Even if you don't see them often that can make a big difference.

They also know to throw nuts on the street on pedestrian crossings where cars will crush them and then wait for the light to turn so they can eat in peace. I love that.
I know. Isn't that amazing?
Awesome! The reward for persistence.
Thanks, Llama. I have to be very focussed & feel that determination or I don't do at all well.
Poor E and C: it must be rough for them. Good thing you can give them at least some stability in their lives. Even if you don't see them often that can make a big difference.
They have had it very rough & it's not fair. I'm so glad that we can be a rock for them. I love these kids so much!

We haven't been home long & it's almost 5 pm. It was a pleasant day. I successfully avoided anything like crisps, chocolate, rice & wine etc & had a healthy day. I took one of my NA ciders & drank lots of water.
Arch had a fun day too.

I successfully avoided anything like crisps, chocolate, rice & wine etc & had a healthy day. I took one of my NA ciders & drank lots of water.
Oh nice job avoiding all that while out for lunch!

So nice you had such a nice time with the grandkids--sounds like a really lovely relationship with them.❤️

Oh nice job avoiding all that while out for lunch!

So nice you had such a nice time with the grandkids--sounds like a really lovely relationship with them.❤️
Thanks, Liza. It's lovely that they organise themselves to visit us. We do have a lovely relationship with them. We treasure that.

I'm off to play golf again this morning :)
I had a strange dream last night. It was a mix of my parents' old general store, our pub & the golf club. I was on my own trying to manage everything & the staff that were meant to be working were clowning around in the street on toy cars & disappearing down the road. Hmm. I woke with a pounding heart. I was so crabby with them.
Looking back on that dream I remember all of the stress of owning your own business.

I'm glad it was just a dream! Your dinner with the grandkids sounds so wholesome. I'm happy for you that your weight is coming down a bit Cate, you must be pleased.

That's really sad about E having to mother her mother, but I am glad she is going off on her own adventures. That's so great you can share with her about moving away to the same place at the same age. It's lovely that they all organized a visit with you. I can't imagine the stress of owning my own business. So glad you don't have those worries now. Hope you really enjoy golf today!

so good to wake up from dreams like that and realize it's no longer your reality. I've been having a bunch of exam anxiety dreams lately--it's been so many years since I ever had to write one, and yet it still sticks with me!
Enjoy the golfing!

Thanks, Em, M & Liza xoxo
I had a nice day at golf yesterday. I was the only woman there, but that didn't worry me in the slightest. I played quite well for most of the game but fell into a hole towards the end as I got tired. I have been really stiff & aching lately with the cooler weather.
I'm planning a farewell for E & we might take her & J out to lunch in town. Hopefully, R can come up too. He has a lovely present for her. We bought her a gorgeous turtle white sapphire pendant in Sri Lanka & decided to wait until she turned 18 to give it to her.
I had a 400-calorie deficit yesterday. For some reason, my Fitbit steps are not giving me any exercise calories on MFP. It happens every now & then.
We're having a day at home today. I need it.

I had a feeling that you would seamlessly be adopted by the vets. That's wonderful you are really enjoying playing with them. No fair about the arthritis acting up. Does it help eating anti-inflammatory foods at all? I am curious because my mom and grandmother both had arthritis, and I worry sometimes when my hands ache. I wish I could be a fly on the wall at your farewell party for E. That's so exciting!! Wow, a 400 calorie deficit without even the exercise recorded!

I'm planning a farewell for E & we might take her & J out to lunch in town. Hopefully, R can come up too. He has a lovely present for her. We bought her a gorgeous turtle white sapphire pendant in Sri Lanka & decided to wait until she turned 18 to give it to her.
Beautiful! Was the Sri Lanka trip recent or did you have this gift waiting for her for years? Sounds so lovely.

I'm so glad that golf with the vets is working out so well for you!

Thanks, Em, Llama, Marsia & Liza. We bought the pendant for her in Sri Lanka back in 2017. I'm glad we didn't give it to her back then or it never would have survived.
Saturday golf was traditionally a men's day, Tuesday vets & Wednesday "ladies". Not many women play on a Saturday unless it's a sponsor day. I don't care really. I have only played twice on the vets' day but will when it suits me.
I did enjoy my rest day but also fitted in 2 walks.
I guestimated my exercise calories for golf, M. 400 deficit would have been too little food. I'm trying to be sensible about it.
R is coming up on Thursday night & we'll go down to farewell E on Thursday most probably for lunch.

I woke at 4.30 this morning & I haven't been able to get back to sleep. It's almost 6 am now. I'm starting to feel tired now. I'll come back later & read the diaries xoxo

That makes sense about the deficit, and it's great you are fitting in both with the men's group and the vets. I hope you made it back to sleep and had a nice Sunday!!

Thanks, M. I didn't make it back to sleep & am so tired (at 2.15 pm).
We had a surprise call from the golfing couple that we got along well with at the Nationals & played with on one of our vets' days. They're heading back to Victoria & wanted to catch up for a coffee before they left. We met them at the bakery down the road. It was lovely catching up again. They have a caravan & have been in Tassie for 7 weeks. Good for them. People who travel with caravans spend so much money in the state as they stay longer.

How lovely to have a surprise catchup like that! I'm glad you're being sensible about calories and I love that you're breaking down the barriers of habit at the golf club.
Sri Lanka was in 2017?! I thought it was just a couple of years ago :eek: But then of course it WAS a couple of years before the pandemic and that srarted over 4 years ago... Time does fly.

Back