Working Corporate

So I began working as a trainer in a corporate gym to get my feet wet in the industry. I went to school and received my certificate in personal training as well as got NASM certified. When I started this job, I knew that I wouldnt be training all the time and that it would be more of me dealing with memberships and signing people up.

Well, I got my first client and I did her initial evaluation, which included me getting her health history and discussing her goals. After doing that, I schedule a time for our first training session. I get another client and I do the same thing: health history, goals, schedule next session. My boss tells me that I need to do the first training session directly after the initial evaluation, but I told her that I don’t feel comfortable doing that. I’ve just met this person 45 minutes ago, I don’t want to put them through a workout just yet. The same thing happens and my boss tells me again that I need to be doing sessions directly after the initial evaluations. I repeat to her that I do not feel comfortable doing it that way.

Am I just being a wuss about it? She hasn’t given me a specific reason why it has to be done that way, just that it’s required. I have been certified for a year, so I definitely want to be careful with my first fee clients. In school, we learned that it should be seperate, but at my job (where trainers are not required to be certified), they need to be back-to-back. What should I do?

Sounds like your boss is a ****. First of all, trainers should always be certified and covered with an insurance. ALWAYS. Secondly, it is the client's right to choose when they want to have the session. It is up to you as a trainer to schedule your clients however you see fit. What your boss is doing is trying to get you to do the sessions quicker so she can reach the end-of-month bonuses.

Next time, tell her the client didn't want to have it that day and you have scheduled it for -whatever time you chose here-. She can't say anything to that. Good luck x

Back