Which style?

Hey guys. So i stumbled onto this forum and i'm liking the people here. I'm trying to find out which Martial Art (MA) to invest in and i can't decide what. Can you help me, by giving me some info about what you know?
I want take up a MA that won't kill the person or break anything. Things like Muay Thai, and BJJ i'm not looking into.

And i realize that accidents happen.
I realize breaks can come from anything.
It's a tough request and i realize this is very vague on what i want. I'm not good at describing my thoughts.

Things about me: I'm agile, well balanced, and have high reflexes. I'm 210 and stand 6'2, but i can easily bring myself down to 200. I'm an Athlete and have general knowledge about fighting styles. I have good knowledge on the human body, which includes pressure points, key break points, and weak points.

I would like something that will be used for defense and open to multiple opponents, not focused on one such as BJJ or wrestling.

I live in Boston so i'm sure there's plenty of academy's around.
Thanks

I'd look into Kung Fu, in particular Wing Chun/Ving Tsun. With the size of Boston I would suspect you can find a Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu school.

I'd stay away from Wu Shu flavor of Kung Fu.

Otherwise, Karate is a decent one to have as a good base style. Tae Kwon Do...ehhh...too much emphasis on neat looking, unstable kicks.

I agree with malkore. Wing chun is excellent for defending against multiple attackers, very fast and not very brutal. Otherwise, kenpo is an interesting option. You could compare the different karates, shotokan, kyukushin, goju ryu.

If you want throwing/grappling skills minus the rough elements of bjj and wrestling, consider aikido. You could also consider any of the soft martial arts, tai chi, bagua, xinyi.
They may not be as popular but can have a lot power once mastered.
And if you just want plain old fun, Capoeira is the bomb.

I suggest Jeet Kune Do, which was developed by Bruce Lee, and it has it's origins in Wing Chun. I just got my black belt after 4 yrs on the training floor.

I'd suggest Krav Maga. It specializes in self defense that works with the quickest access points to end any possible situation. It involves pressure points, agility and speed. Try it. Tons of fun. And no belt systems of superiority, everyone's equal.

I have been through a lot of martial arts in my time and considering what you have told us about yourself I would suggest some of the martial arts from Japan. Before I list any off, I am 1/4 Japanese and so i have not really strayed from the Japanese lineage of martial arts in my time so my views are kind of biased.

*Aikido is a good martial art that focuses on multiple opponents and generally uses the opponents momentum against them in a throwing motion or lock of some kind. I have not personally done this martial art but from what i have seen and heard it is formidable.

*Judo is fun, Though it focuses more on one on one combat the things you learn from can easily be incorporated to other fighting styles. I made it to the second belt in an American academy of Judo and I can still use the throws during a fight in Karate once in a while

*Karate is also good. I am currently studying GojuRyu which is one of the 4 original styles created in Japan. Goju is like most styles of karate but it also has an emphasis on fluid movements and also grabs and throws. Many of the katas we are taught are to simulate fights between 2 or more opponents. Gojuryu with its fluid movements looks a little like Kung-Fu, in the hands, (But in no way is ti superior of inferior to Kung-Fu, I have never studied it I am just going on looks).

*Tae-Kwon-Do... Umm... Not a fan personally. It is too rigid of a style that emphasizes too many wild kicks that can be effective at times but they aren't 100% accurate all the time. If you go for this I would personally just use it as a base style to learn some of the moves and go on from there.

That is all i can think of , I mean there is sumo, cain and sword style martial arts but unless you want to carry a cain, sword or gain 200 lbs thay aren't worth it.

All the Best;
Noguchi

My friend practices Aikido. She told me Aikido is about self defense. She wanted me to join but Im just not into martial arts. You could try watching videos on youtube about Aikido. Who knows, maybe itll fit your style.

Back