What's happening!? Help?

Hey guys.. First time poster here so Hello!

I am a 20 year old male, 187cm tall and I weigh 68kg (not sure about pounds sorry, from Australia) and I have a pretty light frame.

Now, I have always been thin and it's never really bothered me too much, but because of my height I always found it hard to find good fitting shirts.

I started going to the gym about 4 months ago around 3 times a week, focusing on upper body and arms and also a bit of ab work. I had a routine I was following that was given to me from my trainer. I was 65kg when I started and have put on 3kg, which is looking pretty good apart from one thing..
My stomach is sticking out a bit more than it used to and a bit more that I'm comfortable with. Most people probably think I'm stupid, but I can notice the difference, and I'm the type of person that wants to stop something before it starts, if you know what I mean.

I was working out 3 times a week doing abs each time I worked out, but I was only really doing crunches and (sorry, I don't remember the name of it) a machine where I hold my body up with my arms in an upright position and lift my legs up to focus on my abs. After each workout I would drink a weight gainer shake. I was drinking this shake 2 or 3 times a day most days. I stopped drinking the shake when I noticed this because I'm thinking it might be the cause

It's not like my stomach is fat or anything, but it is definitely bulging out a bit more than it ever has and only after I started working out..

Is there anything I can do to stop this or have I been doing something wrong?

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to be clear. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks very much.

1. you were drinking 3 weight gainer shakes a day...and THINK you might be gaining some fat? Yeah, extra calories equals weight gain, and only doing upper body work means you likely had WAY too many excess calories...gained fat.
2. don't you have legs? why aren't you working them?
3. you are growing abs, but the extra fat is hiding the chiseled look, and both are accounting for the 'added thickness' you're seeing in your stomach.

weight gainers aren't the way to get shredded abs :)

Back