what is an average 100m sprint time?

I'm just trying to find out where I stand, speed-wise, with everyone else who does HIIT. I haven't done any track HIIT in about 2 months due to weather (I HATE HATE HATE running in the cold), but when I did, I did 6-7 100m sprints with a 1-minute break inbetween. I carried a stopwatch and timed myself each time so that I could see if I was improving at all.

Here is where I'm a bit skeptical. Usually on the first sprint, I could finish the run in under 13 seconds (12.85 or something along those lines) and a bit over 13 seconds for the following sprints. Now, I don't know if this is human error b/c I was the one doing the timing, but this time seems a bit exaggerated to me. I understand Olympic sprinters run in about the 10-11 second range, which is why I'm skeptical of my time.

So is this just a timing error and I'm not as fast as I think I am, or is this a reasonable time for someone who does regular HIIT?

Here are my stats, in case it makes a difference:
22 years old
tall and lean (6'4" - 185 pounds)
lots weight training: 275 max squat

Nah thats about right, 12 - 13 isnt REAL fast but its still good. I do around 11 in season, my PB is 10.87 for 100.

13seconds is a tad bit slow if you wanted to do track but better still better then the average American...

True Olympic sprinters run way under 11seconds...

The fastest time I've ever recorded for 100m was 11.1 at 17 years old - now being 23 I've put on a few so I'd say I'd be around the 13-14 second mark now :(

Having said that, I was a 400m runner in competition so I was having regular athletics training for sprints, so my technique is (was?!) good.

Running style is the first thing you should look at if looking to lower times.

eh, im fourteen years old and my personal best was 12.76 last year. This year, i'm pushing it to the limit at practice, and at home with a book that increases running speed from which i should see results in two weeks guarunteed. I hope to reach a little under a 11.5 this year, so i'll post to show you guys my results in the end of may:D

Jeff K.

Your speed is irrelevant for HIIT - its your heart rate that matters for your HI intervals.

Speed is alot to do with techinque aswell - not just fitness levels.

Unless you want to compete (or are often on the run from the 5-0 :p), who cares how fast you are?

yea thats about right....that was my time when i first started track..now i can run it in about 11.5....thats pretty good for a 205 pound kid though.......and its not always speed you want....quickness is good too

ps. there is lots of things you can do to increase speed

ggg

hmm im 15 and without training i ran
12.05sec in 100m but i think genetics has a huge role
in this so i think you should just train

Im late 13s and i run the 100 m in 10 . 97 but im my county and regional champ so above average :) .

Last edited:
im 18 and i dont train sprinting at all, im naturally quite fast and i went to the track today and recorded a time of 10.4 which i was pretty pleased with :)

im 18 and i dont train sprinting at all, im naturally quite fast and i went to the track today and recorded a time of 10.4 which i was pretty pleased with :)

And you did all that without a starting block and spikes? Hmmmmm

I think someones timing you wrong, or your running 100 yards....not meters. And you was 'pretty pleased' with that were you Lol..

- I have no idea what i could run, i have always been a good sprinter, was the fastest in my school, got the genes from my dad :D

- I would love to know what i could do, especially if i was more lean.

-I think i could easily run it in under 8 seconds, i could easily smash Bolt and his little petty WR. :eating::eating:

Last edited:
it is a lot to do with genes - ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch and reaction times etc. Like for example, my dad is a cyclist, endurance cyclist so I have a more slow twitch style but in sprinting at school its quite funny.
In the first 20m i get dropped by a few metres as my reaction time aint great and the other guys are slightly stronger than me. But I then start to drag them back and then I'm winning or in a podium spot lol

Back