🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Allergy-related wouldn´t be weird. Connective tissue tends to calcify more in the presence of inflammation. Random thought: it could also have to do with your body´s inability to produce vitamin D. A bit like the changes in connective tissue surrounding the joints in reptiles with metabolic bone disease. I don´t know enough about that to say if I´m talking out of my ass though.

Allergy-related wouldn´t be weird. Connective tissue tends to calcify more in the presence of inflammation. Random thought: it could also have to do with your body´s inability to produce vitamin D. A bit like the changes in connective tissue surrounding the joints in reptiles with metabolic bone disease. I don´t know enough about that to say if I´m talking out of my ass though.

Our bodies are weird complex machines and the more we learn to more there is to learn

Struggling with hip and knee pain, quad and hamstring swelling last night but a little better this morning, earliest Doctors appointment I could get is Thursday next week.

Being fully up to date with Uni and little miss at childcare today I am going to just lie on the couch and play Pokémon with my leg elevated for a while before I have to get some essential housework done.

That’s no good, Tru. It sounds like getting a GP appointment there is as bad as here. I make one every 2 months now, just in case :svengo:

That’s no good, Tru. It sounds like getting a GP appointment there is as bad as here.

It is getting worse for a lot of services here. The population has exploded since the start of the pandemic, hundreds of people homeless (many of them families with kids) and camping along the river because there are no rentals available, they have all been taken up by people from the southern states offering 12 months rent in advance to secure the small number of rentals or buying rentals to live in making the pool of rental properties even smaller and unaffordable for locals with jobs . The new highway being built did not employ locals so there is also hundreds of workers from that making the housing crisis worse. House prices are reaching city price levels. All of that combined with cuts to services, eg. they just closed the kids ward at the local hospital despite the influx of people, many of which are families with kids.

We are so lucky to own our own property and for it to be large enough to allow not only son 3 to stay living at home but for our other 2 sons to set up caravans or transportable buildings if they ever need to leave Canberra and return home and still maintain a level of privacy and independence.

on the local Facebook groups there are posts everyday from people asking if property owners have space for people to pitch their tents.

Being Covid free with almost no restrictions is a big drawcard for people wanting to move here

That level of lack of services makes it sound like you live near a war zone... I'm glad you have/had some time to rest up today and hope you feel better for it.

That level of lack of services makes it sound like you live near a war zone... I'm glad you have/had some time to rest up today and hope you feel better for it.

The problem is regional parts of Australia are sparsely populated with minimal services, professions like Doctors need incentives to work in the regions, or they are foreign trained doctors that are required to work for a period of time in a remote area to meet their visa / residency requirements, when that forced time is up they mostly go back to the cities. I am lucky in that my South African GP liked it here and decided to stay.

With this sparse level of service a sudden influx of people that has come close to doubling the population in town put the limited services and housing past breaking point. States like QLD where I am and Cates state Tas. have dealt with Covid reasonably well, making them popular for people wanting to get out of the cities like Sydney and Melbourne. It is not unreasonable to compare the influx as a lesser version of the refugee crisis that some European countries are dealing with in that the available services were never meant for this level of people movement.

I think many outside of Australia don't quite understand that while the cities are much like other cities in the world, the vast area of the rest of the country is sparsely populated often with even less services than I have available in my area.

I think many outside of Australia don't quite understand that while the cities are much like other cities in the world, the vast area of the rest of the country is sparsely populated often with even less services than I have available in my area.
Absolutely. It´s just SO alien to me.

Absolutely. It´s just SO alien to me.

I think it also works in the reverse direction as well, with many Australian having minimal understanding of other cultures, we are not exposed to other languages in the same way those in Europe are, only a small number learn a language other than English in school.

I learned french which I can get by with if I must, my 2 eldest sons studied German but I doubt they could make themselves understood now. I am lucky enough to have travelled a little and from what I understand from cates diary, so has she which at least gives us some level of understanding of other countries other than what is seen on the news. My husband is an English immigrant from the welsh border region who traveled throughout Europe as a kid with his family and completed a year of school in Austria.

What is happening near you seems very similar to here, Tru. people are flocking here from interstate & houses & rentals are scarce & prices are soaring. Most of our local doctors come here to obtain permanent residency & move when they can. There are nowhere near the resources or infrastructure to cope with the influx.

Only checking in to say I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I have pneumonia again and have been out of it since last week. Also had x-rays of my lumbar spine, full pelvis and both knees today, not that everything hurts but doc wants to compare my painful joints to the joints that are not currently giving me pain. I have never had back pain but my GP is thorough.

I am still in a bad way, I need to struggle to Uni tomorrow if at all possible, missing another week of tutorials will be very detrimental to my marks. I fluked my way through the assessment based on last weeks missed biomechanics lab tutorial because of my photography knowledge of shutter speeds, lighting and frame rates and how it would effect the gathering of kinematic running data, it is a good thing that this knowledge is automatic now and required no thinking which I am honestly not capable of in my current state. I also still need to struggle through an assessment on heart function and another assessment on the last 3 weeks of labs, one of which I missed through illness.

I have a new worrying symptom but will not say more till after my next doctors appointment on Thursday.

I have just taken my medications for the afternoon, so I will need to crash back into bed again soon. Hubby has a week off due to school holidays and has been keeping little miss happy and occupied so I can rest.

Oh, Tru. It all sounds awful. Surely you could get a medical certificate to cover yourself. I know you wouldn’t want to, but if you are so sick…..:grouphug:

Just another quick check in, still struggling, pushed through a physiology assessment worth 10% of my marks for the semester 18/20 result. not sure I will be up to the biomechanics assessment.

did not get to see my GP on Thursday, he is sick, will see what happens on Monday when I have my postponed appointment.

Feeling a little better today, have Dr appointment later, feeling this sick is super depressing.

Back