🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Spent most of today studying, finished all of the e-modules for the semester, next week will be the last of the new content for physiology.

Sitting down watching the cricket on TV tonight and I could not help examining the throwing technique of the players and looking at it from a biomechanical perspective in relation to optimising performance. Next week is biomechanics of kicking and striking (golf, tennis, squash etc) again from the perspective of optimising performance.

I think I may need to work out how to video tape my bench press to analyse it in the software we had to download and install this semester for biomechanics. Now we are past the pure maths I am enjoying the subject.

Sitting down watching the cricket on TV tonight and I could not help examining the throwing technique of the players and looking at it from a biomechanical perspective in relation to optimising performance.
It's funny how your eye changes when you learn new things, isn't it? I know I'm terrible when I sit outside people-watching with friends :rotflmao:

In the gym today

Bench press (no leg drive) super setted alternating between torsinator press, supported bent over row (KB), seated row, singe arm overhead KB press. 3 minute battle rope ( 1 minute standard waves, 1 minute slams, 1 minute lateral waves).

the supported bent over rows were done lying on an FID bench with the back on a roughly 45 degree angle and took the pressure off my hip that would be there if it was not supported. The seated cable row was done seated on a sandbag rather than flat on the gym mats, also taking away some of the hip strain.

Surprised the battle rope doesn't upset your hip but good to hear you can get some decent work done.

Surprised the battle rope doesn't upset your hip but good to hear you can get some decent work done.

it is amazing what you can achieve sitting down, the core definitely needs to work harder using ropes in the seated position. I would have liked to get some cardio in, but the bike is a big NO.

I am in a lot of pain tonight, I don't know if it is from over doing things, or if it is just the normal increase in pain that happens of an evening. either way, at least mentally I feel better after doing some training

at least mentally I feel better after doing some training
Exercise is the best healer for my brain, no doubt about it.
the core definitely needs to work harder using ropes in the seated position.
I´m not sure if it works harder or if it´s just that it has to work in a position it´s not used to as I´m sure you know training at a certain level of contraction doesn´t typically transfer well to working the same muscle further or less far contracted. I could see your hip flexors being very tense doing battle ropes sitting down but I´ve never tried it so that´s just my guess.

I am in a lot of pain tonight, I don't know if it is from over doing things, or if it is just the normal increase in pain that happens of an evening. either way, at least mentally I feel better after doing some training
I felt so much better mentally last night after walking a lot yesterday. I think most people underestimate the importance of exercise to our mental well-being.

Exercise is the best healer for my brain, no doubt about it.

I´m not sure if it works harder or if it´s just that it has to work in a position it´s not used to as I´m sure you know training at a certain level of contraction doesn´t typically transfer well to working the same muscle further or less far contracted. I could see your hip flexors being very tense doing battle ropes sitting down but I´ve never tried it so that´s just my guess.

I am not feeling extra sore in any of the muscles around the hip or the joint itself this morning so I don't think I have aggravated it too much. my core is not feeling anything today, however my core needs to be worked a lot to feel anything. Anterior delts and pecs are feeling worked this morning, but feeling nothing in posterior muscles.

I am about to start my lectures for the day but I can hear a storm rolling in so hope my internet stays connected.

end of another long day of study, ate very little, shopping day tomorrow.

I am sooo looking forward to the end of semester, while the biomechanics has become interesting, it had been hard work and big chunks of the physiology has had minimal application to what I want to study other than being a foundation subject for exercise physiology.

one more day of tutorials on Wednesday 2 more small assessments and then end of semester exams first week of November.

I just feel tired, run down and in pain.

:grouphug: I´m sorry to hear you´re struggling. It must be so tough when you´re in pain constantly.

nothing day today, have spent most of the day helping little miss paint and decorate the cardboard rolls from the TP.

Bacon for lunch but otherwise not hungry.

I have more cherry tomatoes from the garden than I know what to do with.

Back in the 80s there was a fad where TP rolls all came in brightly colored cardboard and everyone was crafting funny figures with them - until someone suddenly decided it was unhygienic and it stopped abruptly. Such a shame! Especially because at the time we could afford all that many crafting materials.

someone suddenly decided it was unhygienic and it stopped abruptly.

maybe, about as unhygienic as people sitting with their phones, laptop, a book or a newspaper. It may not be sterile but it has not hurt the generations of kids that have come before. She washes her hands after craft and does not suck her fingers so low risk of any major nasties.

re-use and recycle when possible, I think our household does reasonably well with it.

https://fb.watch/8LjquLcIga/

do not watch if you are a little squeemish

this is an example of what NOT to do at the gym, this person had never done this exercise before (Reverse nordic curl) done the exercise on a device that was not for that exercise (sissy squat )

We have come up with a solution for my cardio problem, as much as stationary bike is my preferred indoor cardio, it is a no go with my hip, especially because the seat on its lowest setting is actually too high and is a known cause of hip problem in this configuration.

Tomorrow night we will be picking up my birthday present, a secondhand concept 2 rower. While my hip is painful and recovering I can leave out the leg movement of the rowing action and slowly add it in as my hip improves. With good rowing technique it will be a good investment for the long term.

Rowing is awesome! Hard to get right on the technique but really worth it.

yep, a lot of people have terrible technique on rowers, mine has always be quite good and we spent a fair amount of time looking at technique problems at uni because of how common poor technique is and how serious back problems are caused by it among other issues.

Rower is in place in the lounge room so I can row when we are watching movies. it feels soooo smooth to row and the short test row did not hurt my hips at all. The most intense pain is when I have any kind of external rotation and the rower does not do that.

Back