🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Whatever could her favorite color be? :unsure::rotflmao:

The topic this week for Biomechanics is running shoes and running related injuries, part of the required reading compared students and sport shoe salesmen on their perceived and actual knowledge of running shoes and running related injuries. The students were generally more hesitant about their knowledge but the majority of salesmen were convinced their knowledge was correct. The study shows how embedded the marketing messages are when students follow the marketing rather than the science and the marketing is a long way from reality. The study showed that the majority of students and salesman would recommend a change of shoe design based on cost and the marketing message rather than the actual needs of the athlete.

We had to do the survey used in the study before we read the study to compare ourselves to the participants, I was in the minority lol I am not terribly susceptible to marketing and believe that if it is not broken don't fix it.

one of the questions was a case study where a runner who pronates when running but wears a neutral shoe and has never had a running related injury. participants were asked if they would recommend a neutral shoe or a shoe to reduce pronation. Almost all participants recommended the runner change shoe type based on a perceived problem to be fixed rather than recommend a shoe that was of the same type the runner was not only used to but was more importantly not contributing to any injuries.

The biggest take away from this weeks study is that the type of shoe has minimal effect on running related injuries, the biggest factor being training and technique.

The biggest take away from this weeks study is that the type of shoe has minimal effect on running related injuries, the biggest factor being training and technique.
And probably fatigue, but I assume that's covered by technique given that hardly anyone keeps form when too tired.
Such a shame that Little Miss' taste is being frustrated by the Pink Mafia! My favorite color was yellow as a kid, I didn't like pink at all and I got very frustrated with pink presents at times...

more chest x-rays today along with blood tests, and a mucus sample tomorrow morning. I just want to get well

I am approaching the end of semester and the exams that go with it.

I completed my subject enrolment for next semester, Think Health which is basically an ethics class for health care and Behavioural Health which could be interesting.

I have a scan booked for my hip this arvo, the pain is currently radiating into my glutes and down through my quadriceps. I have had that hip injected a few times, usually the bursa is inflamed, however I have a pincer type deformity (picked up in the x-ray) so I may also have some impingement happening.

My chest congestion, breathing and cough have improved a lot but the cough is still not going away.

Same. Your new subjects sound really interesting, especially the behavioral health one. Looking forward to hearing more.

had the scan, my Bursa is very thick, so after my next Dr appointment (Thursday) I suspect I will be making an appointment for another injection.

tomorrows tutorials - Physiology Reproductive physiology
Biomechanics - Biomechanics of throwing

A big part of dealing with not only elite athletes but also general population is exercise compliance hence the psychology and behavioural subjects in the course, if the client will not comply with the exercise prescription then it is like butting your head against a brick wall :banghead: it gets you nowhere towards helping the clients with their goals.

A big part of dealing with not only elite athletes but also general population is exercise compliance hence the psychology and behavioural subjects in the course, if the client will not comply with the exercise prescription then it is like butting your head against a brick wall :banghead: it gets you nowhere towards helping the clients with their goals.
The worst cases are the ones who are afraid to get told off so they'll lie about it. Because then we can't get to the bottom of what's keeping them from doing what their body needs them to do so we can't fix the problem.

in the lab today looking at the biomechanics of throwing in particular the activation sequence and timing required to not only throw with power but also biomechanical aspects of technique to avoid common throwing injuries. It is also interesting that my son, with his hypermobile glenohumeral joint should in theory be able to develop a very powerful throw as the range of internal rotation is the largest factor in throwing so the ability to externally rotate to a greater degree in the cocking phase will lead to a faster angular acceleration through the longer internal rotation resulting in a faster throw. It helps that he has spent a lot of time in the gym to keep his shoulders stable.

I have an appointment in two weeks to have my bursa injected. I could have had it next week on my birthday but it conflicted with Uni and I need to attend to maximise my marks after all the time I have had away from uni while sick.

Are you able to take any pain killers or anti-inflammatories, Tru that bring relief or are you like me & allergic to the NSAID family? I hope you're not in too much pain. Pain really messes with your brain. Good luck with catching up with uni.

Are you able to take any pain killers or anti-inflammatories, Tru that bring relief or are you like me & allergic to the NSAID family? I hope you're not in too much pain. Pain really messes with your brain. Good luck with catching up with uni.

I find that the over the counter pain relief doesn't work well with somebody of my mass however on the up side I think I am well enough to do an upper body training session in the gym if I take it slow and avoid anything that involves the hip, so no leg drive during bench press.

Sounds good, Tru. I’m going to ask for a referral to a physio again I think next week when I have my health plan review.

Glad to hear you´re not completely incapacitated while waiting for your shot.

Back