Treadmills - Apartment problems!! Please help!!

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a treadmill, and of course, it's causing problems for my neighbors. I live on the 3rd floor, and the people that live underneath me are complaining that when I use the treadmill, they hear very loud thumping, shaking, and the bumpy stuff from their ceiling is falling off. Eesh!! And I live in a fairly decent, somewhat new apartment complex. And I'm not some huge person running at full tilt, I weigh 175 lbs and I'm only walking at a fast pace and jogging for brief periods (thus far). I do intend to work up to running though!!

I spent a MAJOR chunk of change on this treadmill, and I have no intention of getting rid of it or stopping using it. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping with the noise issues? Perhaps something I could put underneath, or...? Has anyone else had any problems like this? I have no clue what to do, and my apartment manager was REALLY ticked when she found out I had a treadmill! Apparently I'm the first person in an apartment who has ever gotten one, hmm. (I find that hard to believe!) So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance!!

Hannah :confused:

No offense intended

However...

What were you thinking? Unless you have a reinforced floor like there are in a gym or basement, you are going to have vibration and all you can do hope to reduce it a little with carpeting and a shock absorbing pad.

I suppose you can plan your workout around the schedules of you neighbors or you might have to consider a stationary bike.

If I were your neighbor, I would be livid if someone intruded into my life with the pounding of a treadmill. I can tell from your additude in your posting ("I have no intention...etc.") that you are self centered. You might work on that while you are working on conditioning.

My landlady has an electric one and blasts her music really loud, to cover the treadmill sound. I'm next door, with a hunk of concrete in between, and I know exactly what she's doing!!!!!!!! Our whole house shakes!

She doesn't want a manual, and she doesn't want to get rid of it, so we worked out times that are okay for her to use it. Yes we hear it, yes we hate it, but we both have to live and let live.

I suggest you tell you neighbor the same things. That it isn't going anywhere, and that you need to set acceptable-to-both-of-you boundaries.

Solution for Treadmill Noise

You can reduce foot noise on your treadmill in a simple manner. You need to purchase two pcs of 1/2 Rubber flooring. I would get 2 pcs (or 1 big pc and cut in half) to equal 3 feet by 6.5 feet. You also need to purchase plywood or MDF wood (Home Depot) - one pc in the same 3 x 6.5 feet size. I would also buy blue foam insulation (Home Depot) and again the same dimensions but 1 or 2" thickness.

This is what you want to do:

place one of the rubber flooring on the floor.
place the blue foam on top of the rubber.
place the wood on the foam.
place the final rubber mat on the wood.
place your treadmill on top.

what you are esentially doing is creating a sandwich of matting and vibration reducing flooring. This should drastically reduce the noise and vibration. Let me know how you make out

Victor Proudian

Last edited by a moderator:
No Offense???

However...

What were you thinking? Unless you have a reinforced floor like there are in a gym or basement, you are going to have vibration and all you can do hope to reduce it a little with carpeting and a shock absorbing pad.

I suppose you can plan your workout around the schedules of you neighbors or you might have to consider a stationary bike.

If I were your neighbor, I would be livid if someone intruded into my life with the pounding of a treadmill. I can tell from your additude in your posting ("I have no intention...etc.") that you are self centered. You might work on that while you are working on conditioning.

I registered to this forum after looking for information online about noise/vibration dampening for treadmills when I came upon this thread and your comment.

Instead of being helpful, you were quite mean and absent of any supportive attitude one would expect on a fitness column. The person that posted the original comment obviously is trying to get in shape and has invested quite a lot of money in getting a treadmill. She did not get one to piss off her neighbor but rather to make a healthy lifestyle change. It is understandable that the neighbor would be upset because living under an apt with a treadmill is annoying. But she has every right not to want to get rid of it....its brand new! I don't imagine that stores take treadmills back for a full refund for cases of "the treadmill annoys my neighbor". Attitude is NOT spelled as "additude." She not obviously NOT as "self centered" as you say she because she evidently has enough concern for others that she has put in the effort to ask for advise. So perhaps you should be the one to work on your attitude and be more supportive of people that are honestly just asking for help.

Think about it....a complete stranger, who rarely adds comments to any threads, read your comment and felt a strong enough response to take time out of a Saturday morning to register and obtain a screen name just to respond. Hopefully this puts into perspective how mean you come off to be.

My upstairs neighbors have a treadmill even though they are aware that this will annoy everyone around them. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this, I would be embarrased to have that much noise coming from my apartment. These neighbors of mine have serious entitlement issue and believe they are above any noise bylaws, these is the kind of people who have noisy workout equipment in their apartments. It is a general rule in most multi home buildings that your noise levels need to stay in your own home and you must not disturb those around you. Nothing "offensive" about that.

If you would like to make healthy choices, buy a gym membership instead!!

I registered to this forum after looking for information online about noise/vibration dampening for treadmills when I came upon this thread and your comment.

Instead of being helpful, you were quite mean and absent of any supportive attitude one would expect on a fitness column. The person that posted the original comment obviously is trying to get in shape and has invested quite a lot of money in getting a treadmill. She did not get one to piss off her neighbor but rather to make a healthy lifestyle change. It is understandable that the neighbor would be upset because living under an apt with a treadmill is annoying. But she has every right not to want to get rid of it....its brand new! I don't imagine that stores take treadmills back for a full refund for cases of "the treadmill annoys my neighbor". Attitude is NOT spelled as "additude." She not obviously NOT as "self centered" as you say she because she evidently has enough concern for others that she has put in the effort to ask for advise. So perhaps you should be the one to work on your attitude and be more supportive of people that are honestly just asking for help.

Think about it....a complete stranger, who rarely adds comments to any threads, read your comment and felt a strong enough response to take time out of a Saturday morning to register and obtain a screen name just to respond. Hopefully this puts into perspective how mean you come off to be.

Well, I just stumbled upon this thread, and felt compelled to register and reply as well. I agree completely with icat's take on the OP's post and think yours is out of line. The OP certainly did exhibit a sense of entitlement and an attitude. His/her "concern for others", as you worded it, was not for the neighbour who has to suffer with the noise - but for him/herself having paid " major chunk of change". In what way does that translate to concern for OTHERS? It doesn't. Do you really not understand the difference between the two? "I spent a MAJOR chunk of change on this treadmill, and I have no intention of getting rid of it or stopping using it. " Translation: Waa, waa, waa...poor me...I want it, I want it". That was absolutely an obnoxious and self-centred thing to say. When you CHOOSE to live in an apartment, you need to recognize that you are living with many other people and are expected to be considerate. Mature adults understand this. This poster made a bad decision to spend money on a treadmill without first checking it out with the landlord/tenants, and instead of accepting responsibility for the bad decision displays an attitude of entitlement. No such entitlement exists. There is a solution for this situation. You might have heard of it. It's called a GYM or fitness club.

"But she has every right not to want to get rid of it". Nonsense. Clearly you have no idea what a RIGHT is. A right is not a desire or a want. This person has absolutely no right to use a treadmill in an apartment, in fact, it is most likely the other tenant who has a LEGAL RIGHT to live in a peaceful and quiet environment in that apartment building. The tenant signed a lease. It's very likely that the lease says that tenants cannot make too much noise. Yeesh - use your head. Common sense. Also, it doesn't matter what the person's healthy intentions are - that's no EXCUSE! "and absent of any supportive attitude". Groan...watching too much Dr. Phil? Posters are required to be "supportive" now? lol. Too funny.

I use a treadmill daily. For the first time in decades, I will be moving into an apartment, and have been unsure of what to do, i.e. sell the treadmill or try to cushion it enough and work it out with my downstairs neighbour. When I signed the lease, I asked the building administration about it. They told me they frown upon it, and that if anyone complains, I won't be able to use it. I completely understand. I expect the same protection from mgmt if someone tried using one on MY head. In my case, I work from home all day, so there's no way I would tolerate the noise and vibration on my head. If my downstairs neighbour is away during the day, it'll be fine. Otherwise, it won't. But the first thing I will do the day after I move in, is go downstairs and talk to the tenant to see if we can work it out, and to assure them that I won't have the attitude that the OP has.

But I have the exact opposite attitude of the OP and you. I know that I have no right at all, and the last thing I would is to be an inconsiderate jerk like so many other people. If I can work it out, great. If not, the treadmill goes and I will join a club, buy a spinner, or find some other way to get my exercise in. What I will not do, unlike OP, is whine about my money or poor decision as if it's the neighbour's fault instead of my own. Nor will I confuse a right with a desire, which is what you did.

In the end, it always boils down to the same thing. Some of us put other people ahead of ourselves, while others always seem to put themselves first. I try to have relationships with the former, while avoiding the latter.

Oh, and please accept my sincere apologies for not being supportive enough of you in this post. Here's a kleenex, you poor dear.

Ummm, the thread is 5 years old....she's probably already fallen through the ceiling and killed her neighbor.

This is getting funnier and funnier, becuase I was so revulsed at the obnoxiousness and snobbery of your post that I felt complied to register and reply! How Hillarious!

Well, I just stumbled upon this thread, and felt compelled to register and reply as well. I agree completely with icat's take on the OP's post and think yours is out of line. The OP certainly did exhibit a sense of entitlement and an attitude. His/her "concern for others", as you worded it, was not for the neighbour who has to suffer with the noise - but for him/herself having paid " major chunk of change". In what way does that translate to concern for OTHERS? It doesn't. Do you really not understand the difference between the two? "I spent a MAJOR chunk of change on this treadmill, and I have no intention of getting rid of it or stopping using it. " Translation: Waa, waa, waa...poor me...I want it, I want it". That was absolutely an obnoxious and self-centred thing to say. When you CHOOSE to live in an apartment, you need to recognize that you are living with many other people and are expected to be considerate. Mature adults understand this. This poster made a bad decision to spend money on a treadmill without first checking it out with the landlord/tenants, and instead of accepting responsibility for the bad decision displays an attitude of entitlement. No such entitlement exists. There is a solution for this situation. You might have heard of it. It's called a GYM or fitness club.

Wow, how freaking ignorant is this? Have you ever considered one of:

1. People want to work out in the comfort of their own home.
2. People want to work out in PRIVATE.
3. There is no gym near that person.
4. The gym hours ar enot compatible with their work/school hours.

No, of course you automatically have to take your high and mighty holier than thou attitude.

"But she has every right not to want to get rid of it". Nonsense. Clearly you have no idea what a RIGHT is. A right is not a desire or a want. This person has absolutely no right to use a treadmill in an apartment, in fact, it is most likely the other tenant who has a LEGAL RIGHT to live in a peaceful and quiet environment in that apartment building. The tenant signed a lease. It's very likely that the lease says that tenants cannot make too much noise. Yeesh - use your head. Common sense. Also, it doesn't matter what the person's healthy intentions are - that's no EXCUSE! "and absent of any supportive attitude". Groan...watching too much Dr. Phil? Posters are required to be "supportive" now? lol. Too funny.
You know what, here you just cross the line into being a complete troll. You must have no idea how hard it is for some people to begin a healthy lifestyle. This whole forum is for SUPPORT, and Jerks like you are the exact types of people that probably CAUSE people to stay away from beginning to live more healthily. Also, the "emotions are dumb and should be hated" attitude of yours is beyond insulting to anyone who isn`t a meathead.

But I have the exact opposite attitude of the OP and you. I know that I have no right at all, and the last thing I would is to be an inconsiderate jerk like so many other people. If I can work it out, great. If not, the treadmill goes and I will join a club, buy a spinner, or find some other way to get my exercise in. What I will not do, unlike OP, is whine about my money or poor decision as if it's the neighbour's fault instead of my own. Nor will I confuse a right with a desire, which is what you did.

In the end, it always boils down to the same thing. Some of us put other people ahead of ourselves, while others always seem to put themselves first. I try to have relationships with the former, while avoiding the latter.

See, this paragraph right here convinces me you are nothing but some basement troll trying to feel superior to people, without even knowing the full extent of the situation. I might as well just add "I also donate to church each week and volunteer at a homeless shelter, because I`m not a worthless pile of flesh like you" to your little diatribe.

Oh, and please accept my sincere apologies for not being supportive enough of you in this post. Here's a kleenex, you poor dear.
I truly pity you if you so casually feel the need to treat people's emotional state this way. I`m glad you and others were born with hearts of stone, but many people aren`t, and on a forum for HELP, people like that are not wanted. Have a good day.

No doubt they're being truthful

I live on the first floor of a small apartment building. A couple months ago a couple moved in on the second floor. Guy goes maybe 6 foot, 210 or 220, girl is maybe 5 6 and I would guess 170 pounds. Both smoke and are in poor cardio shape.

They recently bought a treadmill. The girl in particular can only use it for 3 or 4 minutes at a time. So she will "work out" in 3 minute bursts for maybe 2 hours, totaling 30 minutes on the treadmill. It shakes the floor/ceiling enough that it broke out a lightbulb from my ceiling lamp and has knocked many things off my shelves and tables, not to mention scaring the life out of my dog.

Legally there is nothing that can be done, at least in my case. They are within their rights to do this during non-quiet hours as spelled out in the city nuisance ordinance. There's nothing that says people can't be exceptionally rude and selfish as long as they obey the laws. Honestly, they (and you) should have thought this out much better before putting out a bunch of money if you're sincerely concerned about inconveniencing others. There are many much less obtrusive workout options than a treadmill.

Please help me, i have this lunatic living upstairs from me with her treadmill!!!

Hello Everyone out there, I'm losing my mind,

I have been dealing with this lady above me, who lives on the second floor, with her treadmill now for 2 years and 8 months. She is driving me crazy and she could care less about me. The first few months I moved into this lower apartment her routine was 1-2 times a day, at about 20 minutes each time. Then after the first few months, she worked her way up to 3-4 times a day 20-30 minutes at a time, at this point I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want to go up and talk to her because I had a vocal cord injury and it's hard for me to speak for very long, much easier this way, so instead wrote a letter to her, put it under her door, told her that I didn't mind (big mistake), even tho the treadmill was thumping, very loud, annoying and shaking my entire apartment if she used her treadmill because I do understand the importance of exercise. So, I gave her an inch, telling her I didn't mind if she would limit her running to 20-30 minutes per workout and now she is taken a mile, this lady is now running full force for an entire hour mostly 7 days a week and on a rare occasion 6 days, very rare. Even on Thanksgiving, you would think she would have the common sense to take a break, afterall she had just seen me in the parking lot caring in a big roasting pan, which made it obvious, that I had spent the day with my family, as most people do on Thanksgiving. After such a delicious meal, I would say that 90% of the population just wants to go home and relax for the rest of the day.This type AAA personality, with OCD and Narcissistic personality disorder of a human being that lives above me....couldn't wait to get on her treadmill, heaven forbid she might of gained a half a pound, the second she got in the door, was pounding away on that treadmill already. It was about 20 minutes into her workout and it must of dawned on that pee-brain of hers, that just maybe, maybe it wasn't such a good idea afterall and stopped but it took her 20 minutes to come to that conclusion, to stop. Not only is she disrespectful to me but on top of the treadmill thing, she wakes me up every single morning while getting ready for work, this woman pulls her dresser draws open and closed at least 25-40 times every single morning and at 5:45 she exercises before she goes to work with her weights because I can hear them clinking on the floor. This woman thinks she is entitled to working out even tho she is making my life a living hell. I was in a car accident, had a 3 level fusion that didn't heal properly, I told her in the letter that I have alot of health troubles that I'm dealing with and she still wakes me up every single morning, she tells the other neighbors in this complex, that she is only getting ready for work, so she is basically trying to make me out to be the villian here or the complainer. She and her boyfriend in the summer throw there cigarette butts down here for me to pick up, finally got that to end, the following week there was a mariguana end of a joint on my patio, it came from them because they were always sitting outside smoking in the summer. What next with here, I use to be a manager for a apartment complex and several stores, wish I still was, she would of been gone 2 years and 7 months ago, around a month after I moved in. I'm a 60 year old woman that just wants to be left alone. I'm going to work my hardest this summer to get her thrown out of here. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a treadmill, and of course, it's causing problems for my neighbors. I live on the 3rd floor, and the people that live underneath me are complaining that when I use the treadmill, they hear very loud thumping, shaking, and the bumpy stuff from their ceiling is falling off. Eesh!! And I live in a fairly decent, somewhat new apartment complex. And I'm not some huge person running at full tilt, I weigh 175 lbs and I'm only walking at a fast pace and jogging for brief periods (thus far). I do intend to work up to running though!!

I spent a MAJOR chunk of change on this treadmill, and I have no intention of getting rid of it or stopping using it. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping with the noise issues? Perhaps something I could put underneath, or...? Has anyone else had any problems like this? I have no clue what to do, and my apartment manager was REALLY ticked when she found out I had a treadmill! Apparently I'm the first person in an apartment who has ever gotten one, hmm. (I find that hard to believe!) So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance!!

Hannah :confused:

Misery loves company.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I know first hand how mind boggling it can be. As bad as the noise is, there are now small cracks in my ceiling from extensive treadmill use and I actually fear the ceiling will collapse. The landlord says it can't happen but I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. I'm moving out soon and will try to find an apartment on the top floor of a different building with an elevator. I needed to be on the ground floor to save my dog walking up the stairs. I have had no problem with several other tenants who lived upstairs. Of course we could hear each other from time to time, that's how it goes in an apartment. But it really blows my mind that someone would get a treadmill in this kind of building. Truly a complete lack of consideration. These people have 2 cars and we live within 1 mile of a gym. They're both in very poor condition so maybe they were embarrassed to be seen in the gym.

Hello Everyone out there, I'm losing my mind,

I have been dealing with this lady above me, who lives on the second floor, with her treadmill now for 2 years and 8 months. She is driving me crazy and she could care less about me. The first few months I moved into this lower apartment her routine was 1-2 times a day, at about 20 minutes each time. Then after the first few months, she worked her way up to 3-4 times a day 20-30 minutes at a time, at this point I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want to go up and talk to her because I had a vocal cord injury and it's hard for me to speak for very long, much easier this way, so instead wrote a letter to her, put it under her door, told her that I didn't mind (big mistake), even tho the treadmill was thumping, very loud, annoying and shaking my entire apartment if she used her treadmill because I do understand the importance of exercise. So, I gave her an inch, telling her I didn't mind if she would limit her running to 20-30 minutes per workout and now she is taken a mile, this lady is now running full force for an entire hour mostly 7 days a week and on a rare occasion 6 days, very rare. Even on Thanksgiving, you would think she would have the common sense to take a break, afterall she had just seen me in the parking lot caring in a big roasting pan, which made it obvious, that I had spent the day with my family, as most people do on Thanksgiving. After such a delicious meal, I would say that 90% of the population just wants to go home and relax for the rest of the day.This type AAA personality, with OCD and Narcissistic personality disorder of a human being that lives above me....couldn't wait to get on her treadmill, heaven forbid she might of gained a half a pound, the second she got in the door, was pounding away on that treadmill already. It was about 20 minutes into her workout and it must of dawned on that pee-brain of hers, that just maybe, maybe it wasn't such a good idea afterall and stopped but it took her 20 minutes to come to that conclusion, to stop. Not only is she disrespectful to me but on top of the treadmill thing, she wakes me up every single morning while getting ready for work, this woman pulls her dresser draws open and closed at least 25-40 times every single morning and at 5:45 she exercises before she goes to work with her weights because I can hear them clinking on the floor. This woman thinks she is entitled to working out even tho she is making my life a living hell. I was in a car accident, had a 3 level fusion that didn't heal properly, I told her in the letter that I have alot of health troubles that I'm dealing with and she still wakes me up every single morning, she tells the other neighbors in this complex, that she is only getting ready for work, so she is basically trying to make me out to be the villian here or the complainer. She and her boyfriend in the summer throw there cigarette butts down here for me to pick up, finally got that to end, the following week there was a mariguana end of a joint on my patio, it came from them because they were always sitting outside smoking in the summer. What next with here, I use to be a manager for a apartment complex and several stores, wish I still was, she would of been gone 2 years and 7 months ago, around a month after I moved in. I'm a 60 year old woman that just wants to be left alone. I'm going to work my hardest this summer to get her thrown out of here. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I stumbled across this thread because I was searching for a way to make the treadmill on the second floor of my office quieter. Quite frankly I'm offended. I registered just so I could reply. (why else would you register for access to a forum?)

Why has no one taken the suggestion proudian made seriously? Although I do see that proudian has been banned.

:violent2:

My upstairs neighbors have a treadmill even though they are aware that this will annoy everyone around them. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this, I would be embarrased to have that much noise coming from my apartment. These neighbors of mine have serious entitlement issue and believe they are above any noise bylaws, these is the kind of people who have noisy workout equipment in their apartments. It is a general rule in most multi home buildings that your noise levels need to stay in your own home and you must not disturb those around you. Nothing "offensive" about that.

If you would like to make healthy choices, buy a gym membership instead!!

bitch.

I know I am late to the party but the information is still relevant.

OK people apartment living is a symbiotic relationship. The OP recognized this and has sought help to how to not bother her neighbors. As a disabled DIY'er, I know personally what this person is going through.

This person does not think she is entitled, she was just explaining that selling or getting rid of the treadmill wasn't an option, without going into detail ,that is none of our business, as to why the treadmill can not be disposed of.
Here are several reason as to why she might want to find a way to work this out without getting rid of the treadmill besides the investment of the money sunk into it.

1. lifestyle change
2. doctors orders
3. compromising with partner/family to get into better shape or loose the relationship.
4 finance limitations
5 lack of transportation

Now this is what the op is looking for from us:

You need to find away to eliminate or dampen the vibration and pounding transfer from the treadmill to the floor, If you can do this then your on your way to coexisting with your neighbors without having to get rid of the treadmill.

Things you need to be aware of when trying to eliminate or dampen the vibrations.
What kind of floor is the treadmill on wood/linoleum, concrete, carpet(type of carpet and if there is sound dampening padding under the carpet, etc), hardwood floors, tile, plywood on 2by8, etc.
These are important because its going to affect what kind of barrier you put under the treadmill.

Another factor to consider is where in the room it is placed, near a wall or middle of room or in-front of window etc. Sound transfer acts differently in different parts of the room. the type of flooring and how sturdy said flooring is, will impact placement as well.

Also you want to seek out sound dampening/elimination specialist forums. Since they are better suited to solve this issue. Of noise control.
----------------------
----------------------

Telling her to get a membership was not helpful and was harmful in demoralizing the efforts to make good decisions, and was in noway a solution that the OP was looking for.

I can even explain as to why it wasn't helpful.

Investing and buying a treadmill if that is the only exerciser you wanted to use, is cheaper than almost every memberships in the long run.

Example $1500 treadmill vs membership my local one is for a single person: 150 processing fee 75 monthly fee treadmill pays itself in less than 2 years. every year after is 900+ year savings from buying a treadmill 1 time. even if you have to replace the treadmill once in 10 year period you still win.

This significantly impacts the op's quality of life and enjoyment of their apartment. Who has just as much rights as the other tenants. So it is vital to find away for her to do this without disturbing the neighbors. It can be achieved within limits, without putting unreasonable burden on any party.

Victor Proudian is onto the right path of what you need to do to dampen the noise of treadmill to the floor.

I would like to add: look into sound dampening of the walls as well,(especially if the only place to put the treadmill is right next to a wall same with windows) there are several methods I will not go into because they can be found on sound-dampening/ soundproofing forums.

I found a company that makes sound dampening curtains for windows. which you can google. also ask for advice about this on fore mentioned forum types.

Information you find elsewhere would be-helpful to share here as well, because the OP is not the first or last person who will run into this problem.

Ummm, the thread is 5 years old....she's probably already fallen through the ceiling and killed her neighbor.

It still has relevance, because this can happen to "anyone"(me included) who wants to try and make a lifestyle change or keep a healthy lifestyle that might find themselves in an apartment building and does not have the resourced for a more exotic solution like membership or move to house, etc.

I am very disappointed in you.

Back