Ryan's Journal

Background:

Growing up I was always the skinniest kid at school, right up until the last year of high school when I started going to the gym and putting on a little bit of muscle. Even then I was still skinny, but the 5 or so kg I'd gained did make a visible difference.

In the last two years I've been studying Cert III, IV and Diploma of Fitness. I started 2008 at 54kg, and built up to 61kg (7kg growth) over about 3 months in Cert III. I've pretty much maintained this much healthier weight since then, with small fluctuations during the Diploma year (my highest weight was 65kg, but these days I'm around 63kg).

My training in the last year has primarily been in one of the three following categories:
- Rehab/posture/movement pattern based
- Learning and relearning technique as new information comes to the table
- Performance based (least frequent of the above)

The amount of training I've been able to do during the last year has been insufficient to see much progress, due in part to extensive loads of theory, and otherwise to frequent illnesses (which has never been a problem for me before; historically it's been a rare event for me to get sick...maybe I'll blame illness on stress :p ). In that time I've gained a little bit of fat, which I never thought would happen. It's nothing major, but does make me a little less impressed when I see my naked reflection.

Now:

I'm soon to enter into a 12-month contract with a fitness centre, as a personal trainer. The PTM (personal training manager), and am aiming to get into visible shape as I start my business. I don't have any personal driving need to be big, but I will be aiming to burn away my little fraction of excess fat and put on some more muscle. No body weight or measurement goals, as I lapse into bad psychological states when I focus on that. Instead I'll be organising a program and focusing on increasing my lifts, seeing results that way.

As it is, I'm intending to do a full-body session 3 days a week. I had my first session yesterday, and have been psyched about getting into it next week for the last 24 hours. I'll be trying out a few different upper body variables on Monday, because I had some issues with bent over row and military press on Friday (for rows, I think it was just timing; for press it was the gym's limited freeweights).

The session, as is, is about an hour long, focusing on the 6 major lifts (squats, deadlifts, military press, chin ups, bench press and bent over row). The sets and reps for each exercise are as follows, with a 1min rest between sets:

- Warm Up (1st set): 1 x 10 x bar (20kg for most lifts; lighter bar for military press) or 4 bodyweight chin ups.
- Warm Up (2nd set): 1 x 8 x 50% 1RM or 6 bodyweight chin ups.
- Working Sets: 3 x 5 x 70-80% 1RM, or 8-12 bodyweight chin ups.

Yesterday I did this at about 70% my 1RM for deadlifts and bench press, and guestimate I was working at a similar intensity for most exercises. I haven't worked up to a 1RM fullsquat yet, so I can't judge that, but I supsect my 1RM would be about 85kg at the moment. My aim is to get this working at 80% of my 1RMs within a month. My aim for each individual workout is to work hard in each working set, but not reach fatigue until the last set. Each exercise should take about 10min to complete.

Ryan

Is the workout that you're about to embark on considered a type of circuit training since you will be hitting different parts of the body?

Is the workout that you're about to embark on considered a type of circuit training since you will be hitting different parts of the body?

No, not a circuit. I'll be doing 5 sets (including 2 warm ups) per exercise, then moving on to the next exercise.

It's just past midnight here, so I'm about to head to bed, but I plan on giving details of my workouts from Friday and today in the morning.

Friday's Workout

NOTE: On Fridays, at the gym where I'll be starting work at the end of the month, there is a prac session in the afternoon in which potential new personal trainers (and current PT's working there) are invited to come along and sharpen up their skills. This generally includes some education on different types of exercises that we can all bring to the table and training each other in different hypothetical circumstances. I'd already done about half an hour of weights during prac before this session.

Squats:
- 1 x 10 x bar (20kg)
- 1 x 6 x 40kg
- 3 x 5 x 60kg. Hard work but no problems.

Deadlifts:
- 1 x 10 x bar
- 1 x 5 x 50kg
- 3 x 5 x 70kg. I saw myself going red all over during the 2nd and 3rd sets.

Bent Over Row:
- 1 x 10 x bar
- I think I then put the weight up to 40kg and couldn't lift properly. I managed to get one good rep out of each set, but that's not enough for my liking.

Bench Press:
- 1 x 10 x bar
- 1 x 8 x 35kg
- 3 x 5 x 47.5kg

Military Press:
- 1 x 10 x bar (15kg)
- 1 x 2 x 20kg seated. The frame has the barbell set up behind the head at rest, which threw me just trying to get set up.
- 3 x 5 x 17.5kg with non-Olympic bar. I felt I could have gone harder at the end.

Seated Row:
I would have gone for chins, but I'd already done them in prac earlier, and given how bad my rows were earlier, this seemed more necessary.
- 1 x 10 x 25kg
- 1 x 8 x 30kg
- 3 x 5 x 35kg

Monday's Wrokout

Squats:
- 1 x 10 x bar
- 1 x 5 x 42.5kg
- 1 x 2 x 62.5kg. I was trialling thumb over rather than thumb under grip, and when I got to the bottom of the squat, I touched the safety railings (unadjustable), and I let too much weight transfer onto the railings, because the bar didn't come back up with me.
- 1 x 4 x 62.5kg
- 1 x 5 x 62.5kg

Deadlifts:
- 1 x 10 x bar
- 1 x 5 x 52.5kg
- 3 x 5 x 72.5kg

Military Press (non-Olympic bars):
- 1 x 10 x 12.5kg
- 1 x 8 x 17.5kg
- 3 x 7 x 22.5kg. Can definitely go heavier next workout.

Chin Ups:
- 1 x 3 x BW
- 1 x 5 x BW
- 1 x 6 x BW
- 1 x 5 x BW
- 1 x 3 x BW

Bench Press:
- 1 x 10 x 25kg
- 1 x 8 x 35kg
- 2 x 5 x 45kg
- 1 x 6 x 45kg, dropset to 1 x 6 x 35kg, dropset to 1 x 6 x 25kg

Bent Over Row:
- 1 x 10 x bar (15kg)
- 1 x 8 x 20kg
- 3 x 5 x 30kg

Very very interesting.

I am wondering how old you are and if you pay as much attention to detail in your nutrition.

Will definitely keep an eye on this.

You got very efficient workouts...straight to the point, no isolations mostly compounds and 1 hour ish in duration - any cardio after? Not that you need any.

I hope you are eating well, the amount of glycogen/glucose/ATP those compounds eat are insane.

maybe I'll blame illness on stress

Stress is the #1 cause for illnesses. ;)

I'm 21. I don't put anywhere near as much detail into what I'm doing nutritionally, but I make sure I get plenty of CHO into my breakfast, have a satisfying meal 1-2 hours before exercise with CHO in it, and a meal with CHO and protein prepared for shortly afterwards. If I recall correctly from my nutrition classes back in the day, it should be 1-2g/kg bodyweight CHO within 1 hour either way of exercise, 2-4g/kg CHO a few hours before training, and 6-20g protein in the post exercise snack, plus about 1.5g/kg protein each day (give or take). I don't measure out the nutrients in my meals, though. I make a fairly loose effort to get it more or less right-ish, honestly.

ETA: I don't have any cardio planned into the session after resistance training, but I'm not planning against it, either. I may do cardio sporadically.

Last edited:
Wednesday's Workout

Squats:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 45kg
- 3 x 5 x 65kg

Deadlifts:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 50kg
- 3 x 5 x 75kg

Military Press:
- 1 x 10 x 15kg
- 1 x 6 x 20lg
- 3 x 5 x 25kg

Chin Ups:
- 1 x 3 x BW
- 3 x 5 x BW
- 1 x 4 x BW

Bench Press
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 35kg
- 1 x 5 x 50kg
- 2 x 4 x 50kg. I'll be aiming for 3 x 50 next time.

Bent Over Row:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 30kg
- 3 x 5 x 40kg. Couldn't get the bar touching my torso on a few reps. Won't increase weight until this is achieved.

Friday's Workout

NB: This was after prac session, which was primarily lower body.

Squat:
- 1x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 40kg
- 3 x 3 x 67.5kg. I felt I could have gotten at least 1 more rep out of each set, but my confidence wasn't as it should be. I'll continue at this weight on Monday's workout.

Deadlift:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 47.5kg
- 3 x 5 x 77.5kg. I really felt it between my scapulas, which could be a sign of rounded shoulders. I'll also stay at this weight on Monday.

Military Press:
Someone hadn't stacked the non-Olympic barbells properly, so I ended up not lifting as heavy as I'd thought. When I went to return the working set bar, I realised they hadn't been set up properly.
- 1 x 10 x 17.5kg (which I thought was 15kg)
- 1 x 8 x 20kg
- 3 x 5 x 22.5kg (which I thought was 25kg)

Chin Ups:
- 3 x 5 x BW
- 1 x 4 x BW
- 1 x 3 x BW

Bench Press:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 40kg
- 3 x 5 x 50kg

Bent Over Row:
- 1 x 10 x 20kg
- 1 x 6 x 30kg
- 3 x 5 x 40kg. Again, need to work on getting the bar all the way up every time.

Mmm, talk about lousy dedication. In the week following my last entry, my training was all over the place, and at the end of the week, I came to realise that contrary to what I'd previously thought, I really didn't want to work at Fitness First, which meant cancelling the contract, which has also meant not using the gym there since cancelling.

Before cancelling the contract, I did a lower body and abdominal circuit on the Tuesday, followed by my regular upper body exxercises. I didn't train again til Friday, and only did the prac session, which I don't remember much detail of.

For now I have no gym entry, until I start work somewhere, so I won't be posting much in this journal for the time being. I'll still probably post around other areas of the forum and check out other peoples' journals, though, while I'm looking for other job opporunnities.

I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday. The numbness around my tongue and jaw has pretty much gone away now, 21hrs post-surgery (which is a relief, I thought I might have been one of the 1/200 who get a damaged nerve, or worse one in the 1/10,000 in whom the damage is permanent). Alas, with the relief of a mouth that can feel things comes the downside of being able to feel soreness. I can barely open my mouth to get food in, but I'm currently busy working my way through some scrambled eggs. I took 2 painkiller pills 15 min ago...hopefully they'll kick in soon enough. I'm supposed to take them before it becomes painful...right now it's uncomfortable with soreness, a dull pain, which I assume is nowhere near as painful as it can get.

Try brushing your teeth with Rub-A-535.

It'll give a nice cooling sensation to the dull pain.

I promise.

:action8:

Oh- by the way, nothing is stopping you from doing body weight workouts for the time being.

You can fool yourself, but not me. You're getting lazy. Get into body weight training and stop making excuses.

The fact that you work in a gym or not doesn't stop you from doing body weight squats, push ups, the works. You could look into beginners gymnastics as I've found very interesting body weight exercises in those in the past.

As for me, the back is going well and will be getting back on the saddle again shortly. Once I do, I expect you to give me as much hell as I am giving you.

Keep at it, or quit.

:boxing_smiley:

Being out of the gym is no excuse for not doing bodyweight exercises. Being malnourished from having been barely able to eat - whilst trying to recover from surgery - is. I'm working my way back up to regular meals right now, and I'm hoping to be ready to train again next week. Someone else started a journal in here the day before I had my surgery which gave me inspiration for a goal to train for. Their goal was 100 push ups, 200 sit ups and 200 squats. I think I'll go for something more like 100 push ups, 15 chin ups and 200 squats.

Tell me you've exhausted every mean of nourishing yourself properly while in this pain and I'll stop being a ****.

:jumping:

Not wishing to dignify the above with a response, I did state in my previous post (last week) that I wanted to start training again this week. I've been able to eat solid food for the last couple days.

Today I stepped out into my garage and did a squats session, aiming for 200 reps total within the session. Here's how it went:

- Standard squats w/ broomstick: 60 reps (60 total)
- Rest
- Bulgarian split squats, right foot forward: 20 reps (80 total)
- Rest
- Bulgarian split squats, left foot forward: 20 reps (100 total)
- Rest. At this point I was noticing myself start to sweat and I was getting rather shaky.
- Push Ups: 20 (obviously not counted towards my squat total)
- Rest
- Front Squats: 10 (110 total)
- Back Squats: 15 (125 total)
- Rest
- Clean and Snatch: 10 (135 total)
- Rest
- Bulgarian Split Squats, right: 10 (145 total)
- Rest
- Bulgarian Split Squats, left: 10 (155 total)
- Rest
- Push Ups: 15
- Rest
- Back Squats: 30 (185 total)
- Rest
- Clean and Snatch: 15 (200 total)

It may not be much, especially with all that rest, but after those first split squats, I was shaking all over, and that continued for the remainder of the session. My heart rate was also up from then on, and by about 5min after the session, I felt drained. I'm not sure how long it took me to get through those 200 reps. I think all up it was about half an hour.

I wasn't convinced you we're holding your end until now.

You got this down.

Now, I'll come out and say this for myself;

My back has finally recovered. I am broke. I cannot renew my subscription to the gym.

I will get into P90X as of tonight. I have seen these workouts and their results in the past. I have videos at home and an Ipod. It is muddy and cold outside but I seriously don't give a ****.

I remember doing a tabata squat session from the xfit site. I remember not being able to walk for a few hours there after. I had trouble pushing the gas pedal in my car. I had trouble going up the stairs to my room. I remember my legs hurting by simply breathing after a session like this.

Is that how it felt? :sport:

In any case, hope you are feeling good and recovering well.

It wasn't quite that extreme afterwards. Just draining. I think it was much more neurologically demanding than muscularly or cardiovascularly demanding, as a tabata session would be (but I have done tabata sessions with squats in the past, so I'm familiar with how that goes - I think the last time I did that, there were numerous occasions where I'd squat down and my body refused to come back up). My gluts are sore today. I also bought some resistance tubes today.

Yesterday I did a lot of walking around, at least an hour's worth. Today, I went down the park behind my house and, using the playground equipment here's what I got up to:

- 20 step ups leading with right leg
- 20 step ups leading with left leg
- 5 chin ups
- 10 decline push ups
- 5 pull ups (bodyweight rows)
- 20 step ups, right
- 20 step ups, left
- 5 chin ups
- 10 pull ups
- Handstand, feet stabilised
- 10 box jumps
- 3 chin ups
- 4 pull ups
- 10 step ups, right
- 10 step ups, left
- 10 decline push ups
- 6 pull ups

I then came home and did 30 broomstick squats in the garage, before having a shower.

Nice work :) I hope you achieve what you want. I am the other way around with nutrition - if I don't count my calories and ratios, god knows what will end up in my mouth.....lol

Back