Morning Workouts

I'm considering moving my workout time to the morning schedule, as opposed to at night. Anyone seen any benefits from workingout first thing in the morning as opposed to later in day?

If it fits within your schedule I dont see any problem with it. I did it sometimes when my schedule would change. Just be sure you completely awake amd ready to smack the iron around with spice and vineger BABY!

No problems! ROCK IT! In the mornings.........:)

Wakes me up and keeps me focused through the day. I've also found that if you put it first, then nothing else in the day can come up (late work, social event, etc.) and prevent you going.

Def.............Rock on DUDE~!

Def met Steph and she became Def's personal Chef, but this became old and they argued and Def became DEAF and then they needed a REF!

LOL!

The only problem I have with the morning is that I've got to be at work at 8:30am, so I find it pretty rushed to warm up, lift, shower and get to work. I finish work at 2, so it makes more sense for me to go then and not be rushed. So, I think it's whatever fits your schedule best.

I did actually post this same question a while back and a few people mentioned that you should be awake for an hour before lifting due to spinal fluids(?), you may want to search that post.

Some back studies show that you should not exercise with weights within an hour of waking up because of all the fluid that builds up around your spinal column when you sleep hasnt dispersed and loading the spine when it is in this state can lead to back injuries.

This probably isnt really an issue for a normal person but special populations or perhaps bodybuilders or power lifters might run into some problems.

Whats the nutrition that one must intake before an early morning workout. If I plan to hit the gym at 6am in the morning, is it suitable to do so on an empty stomach? My goal is to gain muscle and lose tummy fat. I plan to do HIIT early morning and lift heavy in the evening (~7pm). So what should I eat so that my HIIT is successful and I achieve my goals. How much time should I wait after HIIT to eat breakfast?

As long as you're not a powerlifter trying to clear 300lb beches and 450lb squats you should be ok. Warm up before lifting, and make sure you're awake and focused enough to ensure proper form. Bad form WILL cause back injuries.

A banana with peanut butter would be good before an early morning workout. A small bowl of oatmeal maybe. Don't lift on an empty stomach, you won't be energized enough to put your best foot forwards.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess for right now I'm gonna have to stick to lifting at night. Considering I'd need proper fuel and enough time to wake up before working out, and it's best I don't try to rush things.

I am not that motivated in the mornings, but I did start taking a spinning class at 7 am. It was a great work out and I had someone else yelling at me to work hard. It was a great feeling to go to work and know that I had a good workout before even turning on my computer. I don't know if I could work out by myself in the morning or take a different class - spinning has a nice combination of slow, hard work out and then sprints.

I'm slowly transitioning myself into working early morning to allow for later meetings at work, and it is seriously tough to get into. It's involving a complete change in schedule and routine. Everything I've read points to a morning workout being more beneficial in more ways than one. Working out in the morning gets your metabolism up for the day..burn more calories, more energetic, it sets the tone and gives you positive energy throughout the day (provided you get to the gym early enough).

I've also heard a lot of people say that it doesn't matter either way, it's a scheduling thing. But if it matters when you eat, when you sleep, what you drink, and the order of the machines and workout you do...it logically matters what time you work out too. But again...it's tough - it ends up feeling like 10pm at 6 kinda thing. So worth it/not worth it?

3 egg whites a nice bowl of porridge for my carbs and a protein shake and me i head off to gym around 9.00am on Mondays full of energy and fresh to build those muscles ggggrrrrr, going to try and get to work for 8.00am rest of week so i can train and then get changed and straight into work i mean i do work in a sports complex, so very handy

I wake up at 4:30pmish, do my workout around 6pmish and head into work at 10:30pmish. I love it, I feel so strong and energized at work (physical job).

I have no idea how you could lift heavy or do an intense workout first thing in the morning but i wouldn't rule out a light jog...I just don't have it in me when i wake up. I want my breakfast and shower.

Back