Liza's diary

liza

Thanks Cate and LaMa (and Err for checking in!)
I don't think I'll feel any external pressure to do too much at the gardens. But I may feel compelled to do more than I have energy for so will try to watch that. It's sort of a weird time to start helping out because a lot of stuff will be coming to an end soon, but hopefully can help rejuvenate some beds, provide some care to some veggies that could still give lots by fall and maybe give some people a bit of a break who may be feeling a bit burnt out by now if they've been doing a bunch of work through our hot summer. It will be a good step for me to engage a bit more with community than I have been throughout the pandemic too. I feel really out of touch with community in general. A really different feel than it was pre-pandemic.

Today was official weigh-in day and back up to 136. sigh. oh well. I don't mind too much. At least I'm feeling more on track lately with making more of an effort to eat better and get my exercise in. This week has been kind of tough all round emotionally.

Was happy to get my run in this morning despite feeling like skipping it. My nerves weren't good again and even though I know a run, or at least a walk, can do them good, I often don't feel like heading out. I also expected it would be too hot. But anyhow headed out and did ok. My calf muscle is all better too.

Goals for this week--
  • run 3 times
  • strength 2 times
  • walk or garden on non-run days

Cate

Support crew
The community garden sounds like it might be a good fit for you. There's a strong chance you will meet like-minded people & it would be good to get back into the community again. I become a bit of a hermit in Winter I must admit & have been feeling like I should make more contact with people, other than my family. I don't want to lose touch.
I'm glad your calf muscle is ok now. This week's goals sound good. I need to work on mine.

liza

Yes I hope the gardens will be fun. I used to volunteer there and I always enjoyed it. A lot of work always and always more that can be done, but it is a nice way to connect with community--both with the other workers and with the people passing by who all like to stop and chat. Spent a couple of hours there this morning and it felt good to be back. I cut myself off when I could start to feel my energy wane, knowing not to push too hard. I can see a bunch of stuff I could do there so hope to try and get there a few days this week. It's struggling as it's been such a hot year, and not many people helping out.
I become a bit of a hermit in Winter I must admit & have been feeling like I should make more contact with people,
Yeah it's weird. I'm a really strong introvert and feel I've done pretty good being cut off by covid, but suddenly I am feeling the lack of community and the need to connect. i think it's partly that before I always thought there would be a decisive end to the pandemic and I would just hole up until then, but now it seems like we will have to live alongside covid for a while. I realize I don't want to continue on as cut off as I have been.
I've always really valued this place for its strong community so to lose that connection just feels too sad. Gardens seem a perfect place to begin to renew that connection.

Yesterday and today not good food days again. Back to eating canned soup. I did at least add canned beans to the soup to add protein and substance but finding it hard to get back to cooking proper meals. Filling up a lot with crackers and cheese, or crackers and nut butter...
Also haven't tracked calories either.
i will try again to get back to proper meals and proper tracking. I just feel out of things a bit...
It's hot and muggy lately too so that has me not wanting to cook.

liza

This time we’re back!
Hi, Liza 😘
at last!
Continuing to try with my goals for the week. Can't be bothered to write them out again but I know what they are. Another good run today. Loving our cooler weather for it. Makes such a difference. Still having trouble getting back to tracking calories. Part of it is that my weight is staying in a good enough range and I'm enjoying my current lifestyle choices. (like the maybe too many sweets...)
I would like to get back to strengthening though eeven if I don't track calories--the strengthening seems more important for me right now.

LaMaria

If your weight is doing well enough tracking calories isn't the most important thing. The weather's cooled off here as well: marvelous!

Cate

Support crew
& it's getting warmer here, which is also marvellous. I am heartily sick of Winter, especially all the rain!

toodamtall

I feel like my last few posts in everyone's diaries went missing. Hopefully no more time warps coming up. Hot and muggy where I am right now. I don't mind that much. I'm looking forward to fall riding though on crisp days when you smell wood smoke from fireplaces and wood stoves

liza

If your weight is doing well enough tracking calories isn't the most important thing. The weather's cooled off here as well: marvelous!
yeah I really need to focus on strength and just eating healthy. I keep wishing my gut to flatten out more...not sure how best to achieve that. I have an on-going pondering of trying some elimination of various foods....but still not overly motivated for that...
& it's getting warmer here, which is also marvellous. I am heartily sick of Winter, especially all the rain!
yes either way, the seasons are always lovely to have that change!
I feel like my last few posts in everyone's diaries went missing. Hopefully no more time warps coming up. Hot and muggy where I am right now. I don't mind that much. I'm looking forward to fall riding though on crisp days when you smell wood smoke from fireplaces and wood stoves
Yes all our posts that we made after Aug 2nd disappeared as they worked on the new format...it sure was worth it for all the extra pink in our lives :confused:
I don't do well with hot and muggy--had a lot of that this summer and all the extra sweating doesn't work well for me!
We also had too many heat waves and not enough rain, and on-going drought conditions affecting the gardens...so yes, very ready for a nice cooling off and very ready for some rains to return ☔
I shouldn't really complain too much though because it wasn't too bad a summer really and now I find after running in those hot conditions it was kind of like good training because now the running feels so much easier!

LaMaria

I shouldn't really complain too much though because it wasn't too bad a summer really and now I find after running in those hot conditions it was kind of like good training because now the running feels so much easier!
Silver linings! I like those :p Oh, and I just noticed that the smilies are easily visible on my laptop. If they add a "night" option I may get used to the new look of the forum. I´m a shadow plant, not a sunflower...

EDIT: And the normal formatting for smilies still works as well: now I just have to work out how to type the more complicated ones properly and I´ll be able to use them all the time again!

Cate

Support crew
I'm glad it doesn't get so hot & muggy here, then I would not be looking forward to Summer at all. Good to hear that you are enjoying your runs 🏃‍♀️

liza

Thanks cate and Lama :)
Skipped my planned run yesterday. I'd gotten too far behind with housework and it was just pouring rain (thank goodness!!) so was a good excuse to catch things up inside a bit.
I had a really great walk a couple days ago which i should do more often. A brisk 20/25 minute walk up to the forest trails, a very slow meditative meander around the trails (maybe about an hour or so?) and then the 20/25 minute brisk walk back.
Still can't seem to get back into strengthening...hard to motivate on all these things lately.
Eating is going ok...last few days, tofu as my main protein, lots of salads...the greens have run short in the garden with the heat and drought so picked up a good amount of greens shopping. Always the easiest for me to eat since it involves no prep and just add it to whatever meal I'm having.

Cate

Support crew
It sounds like you are still doing well, even though the motivation may not be there at the moment for running or strength training. Food sounds good too :)

Marsia

Hi Liza! I just re-joined the forum and read the last page of your diary. Sounds perfect joining a community garden. I'm very introverted, too, and make friends best while doing activities and slowly getting to know people. Nice the rain broke the heat and your running's going well again. I think it was a hot summer here, too, but I have been holed up remodeling and finishing packing, so not exactly sure. Can't wait to be done moving and then we'll have some money to travel and lots of time to hike and get in shape. So nice you are still on the forum and doing so well!! :)

LaMaria

the greens have run short in the garden with the heat and drought so picked up a good amount of greens shopping. Always the easiest for me to eat since it involves no prep and just add it to whatever meal I'm having.
It's funny: I rarely crave the flavor of greens but I definitely crave the feeling of having eaten them. I can't quite describe it... like an exuberance in my stomach?

liza

So nice to hear from all of you! :grouphug:

even though the motivation may not be there at the moment for running or strength training
Well i'm still mostly motivated to run--just not on that super rainy day!...however it did make me realize that soon we will be entering into that cold wet weather and I will have to remember how to run in the ran! But yes, the strength training is an on-going struggle/challenge for me!
Can't wait to be done moving and then we'll have some money to travel and lots of time to hike and get in shape.
Oh yes that will be great! Especially after having worked so long and hard with the house remodeling and packing up!
So nice to have you back to the forum-- I have thought about you while you've been away and wondering how your move has been going. I'm glad you returned :)
It's funny: I rarely crave the flavor of greens but I definitely crave the feeling of having eaten them. I can't quite describe it... like an exuberance in my stomach?
Oh I love that idea of exuberance in the stomach. I find I really feel the effect of eating greens in my brain--an equally lovely feeling! And far better for me than an over-indulgence in sugar!
I love having a rainbow on my plate 🏳️‍🌈
:)

Well back to our sunny (but now delightfully much cooler) days and I had a lovely run yesterday. I was surprised to see my leg muscles were tiring before my endurance though...not that usual for me...but it still went well.

Weight yesterday for official weigh-in was 136, today it's back to 135, so that's where things are bouncing around. If I really want to get it back to more around 130, I will have to pay more attention to my eating and strengthening...
However, while I do want it there, I also really want to do more focus on my anxiety issues, which will take a bit more time out of my day as I work on CBT stuff. So I'm going to try and balance the work on weight with the work on mood and maybe drop the idea of goal setting around weight stuff too much while I do more goal setting around anxiety issues.

I definitely want to keep the healthy life-style going as it does help with mood, but just will lighten the approach and goals I think.
I'm also more seriously considering cutting out wheat for a time to see if I do have a sensitivity to it. So maybe next shopping trip will add in a bunch of gluten free options and take the plunge.