Liza's diary

Cate

Support crew
Nice weigh in, Liza. I didn’t track yesterday & had forgotten to charge my Fitbit but think it was ok. It was good to have a break after a month. I like your goals xo

LaMaria

Congratulations on the cooperative scales!

liza

Thanks Cate and LaMa :)

Not sure what happened yesterday--I went WAY over goal for calories!!
Was that because I saw a scale drop and decided to not worry??? Not sure. But yeah was 640 calories over target! yikes!
Not much exercise either--I did manage to do the strength training in the morning and walked for 20 minutes.
Oh well-let's hope just an off day...I wil aim to do better today.

LaMaria

Not sure what happened yesterday--I went WAY over goal for calories!!
Was that because I saw a scale drop and decided to not worry??? Not sure.
Sounds like something I would do... Psychology never ceases to fascinate me.

Cate

Support crew
Our brains :svengo:
Mine works the other way. If I have gained I stuff something into my face! Less logic there…

liza

Glad to hear I'm not alone with some messed up logic! haha

Yesterday was better (hard to do worse than 640 calories over goal!) but still went over goal and didn't do much for exercise really. I did manage a HIIT video in the morning and sweated A LOT, but after that it was a lot of sitting around...Went over calorie goals again--but only 150 over this time...
I did manage to get a bunch of boring household chores done too so that's a positive.
I struggled for much of the day with a low-grade depression. It's still with me. I'm going to try for a walk after doing a few things around the garden this morning...

Cate

Support crew
I hope you get a walk in, maybe even a run & that boosts your mood.
I went looking for an image of something silly, like a runners hug. Who would have thought there was a hug a runner day? I liked this one-

1627338830589.png

liza

Thanks Cate and LaMa--I like the runners hug :)

I opted for a walk yesterday. I think I did something to my calf muscle during the HIIT video--it keeps seizing up on me and hurting generally...I hope to get back running tomorrow if it's feeling better though.
The walk was nice and helped my mood, but now today I'm back to anxious. argh.
Spent the morning in the garden just doing very gentle work which helped calm me, but everytime I sit down the anxiety starts again...
so it goes.
Yesterday calories were over goal again--over by 276. Not too worried about this trend yet as that is only 26 calories over what would be maintenance...Maybe I'm not ready to go down further yet--would be fine with maintaining for the next few weeks if need be.
So far today having trouble with eating...which might mean an over-indulgence later on.

Cate

Support crew
I'm glad you took things easy, Liza & I really hope this anxiety goes away. Not being able to run wouldn't be helping. Hope that calf muscle is better tomorrow xoxo

liza

Thanks Cate and LaMa
The anxiety stuck for most of the day and night. Feeling pretty worn out from it all this morning. Not sure whether to try for a run or not. Maybe will head out in running gear and be open to either a walk or a run...i just feel so exhausted.

Sucks about the calf. Is it ok with normal walking?
It is ok with walking and seems to feel better as I walk with it. It seems worse after a period of sitting so movement seems like a good idea. It's still with me today but much less than yesterday.

I did my best to count calories but may have missed some. i had a deficit of 170 if I caught everything... Not the healthiest of days. The only vegetable i had was sauerkraut! No fruit either--all just carbs and then some cheese, almonds and yogurt...

For activity it was walking and gardening.

LaMaria

I'm sure you've slready made your decision but I'd say warm up thoroughly first (ideally including an incline and a decline) then try a very slow run. No speeding up until you've given your body a day to react to the experiment.

liza

I'm sure you've slready made your decision but I'd say warm up thoroughly first (ideally including an incline and a decline) then try a very slow run. No speeding up until you've given your body a day to react to the experiment.
That's pretty much exactly what I did LaMa. My calf felt fine during and today seems to be fine as well. Can still feel it but it's definitely improving.
I hope you're not sickening for something, Liza. Please take care & be gentle with yourself. Walking sounds like a good idea :grouphug:
Thanks Cate. Not getting sick--this is just how my anxiety typically plays out. Trouble eating (esp veggies-- seems way too hard to digest), trouble sleeping, exhaustion...I haven't had this high a level of anxiety in a while and it seems to be continuing on...

The run yesterday went pretty good. I did take it slow, took time to stop and look at things, and I appreciated how my runs these days feel more and more like my walks do. Not overly challenging for the most part, enjoying stopping and looking at things as I go, able to re-start the run with ease...
I did decide to stop after 40 minutes, walked another hour after that, got some time in the forest, so was a good morning outing altogether.
The anxiety did come back for another round in the afternoon butI managed a nap using a guided meditation to calm me, and it subsided for a while, though it made its return in the evening but in a lesser way. At least I could sleep.

I didn't eat very well again. Still didn't want veggies, went heavy on carbs, probably too little protein. Didn't track calories either.

I guess I should head out for a walk this morning...should do strengthening...kind of wish I had another garden project but can't think of one...

LaMaria

Right now just getting through the day ok sounds like enough of a goal, health-wise. Good to hear you got that run and walk in!

Cate

Support crew
I'm sorry your anxiety has come back. It does seem to have been much better lately. Have you finished with your new garden project? I hope you feel better soon, Liza :grouphug:

liza

Thanks LaMa and Cate. Yes just playing it through day by day through the bigger waves of anxiety. I think the whole uncertainty around covid is hitting me again. The reopenings combined with outbreaks, combined with everyone taking different measures personally , combined with variants taking off, all has me a little frazzled. And then the on-going heat might be adding to things...that all combined with my anxiety disorder I guess is a pretty easy recipe for heightened anxiety levels...
Have you finished with your new garden project?
yes all finished! I was hoping it would be a longer term project for the rest of summer but as it happened I just kind of threw myself into it for a week and got it all done. I LOVE how it looks. It adds a circular flow to an area that was looking too rectangular before. Now it's flowing curvy paths through the space. It should get even better too as it fills itself in with the plants I've added to the re-done areas. I'm letting a lot of red clover and comfrey fill in spaces, combined with flowers that tend to thrive easily like calendula and snapdragons and some others that I don't know the names of but are around the yard everywhere already and thriving well. I want drought/heat tolerant plants to suit the summers here.
I love visiting my garden but it lacks work for me now. However, I have found a community garden that is in need of help so will be starting to help out with that soon. It needs as much love and attention as one could give it so I should have more than enough gardening to do there...
Yesterday felt a little better again. Went for a longer walk in the morning, followed by a short strengthening session. And, maybe even more importantly, I managed to cook a proper meal. A lentil stew that included good veggies so i was happy to fill myself properly with that.
I met my calories goal of 250 deficit too.
Let's hope today is as good or better...

LaMaria

Well done on the food - lentil stew is delicious! Sounds like you'll have your hands full with that community garden; make sure you don't get railroaded into doing and worrying too much, please.

Cate

Support crew
Well done on the food - lentil stew is delicious! Sounds like you'll have your hands full with that community garden; make sure you don't get railroaded into doing and worrying too much, please.
I was about to say almost exactly the same thing xoxo