Liza's diary

Cate

Long-term member.
I was so exhausted that the stress of it all resulted in a horrible bout of anxiety. Dreadful feeling!
:grouphug:
I hope you got that run in, even though it was raining. Running is your best "medicine" xo

liza

Hi Cate and LaMa,
Well I did get my run in yesterday and glad I did because today is even worse for rain!
And it was actually a really lovely run anyhow.
I got completely drenched even with my rain jacket. I headed out with that attitude of even 10 minutes is better than nothing, but as I ran and felt the joy of it, I continued on for a nice long loop. I especially enjoyed one stretch where as I ran up the hill I ran up into foggy conditions which made me feel as if I were running inside a cloud. Was so nice!
I'm sure the whole run did my body-mind a lot of good and I felt much better all day yesterday.
I had some dairy in chocolate yesterday so haven't begun dairy-free yet, but I think today may be the beginning.
Hope to get in a bit of a walk in this morning once there's some light out.

liza

Thanks Cate--I feel so lucky to have running work for me. I tried so many times in the past to take up running and just couldn't ever get the good feeling going with it and it would just result in hurting knees and ankles!

I'm now officially dairy-free. I don't think it will be hard at all as I love dark chocolate and mostly eat that anyhow so that won't be hard. I figured the hardest thing would be missing the easy protein/fat fix of cheese, but so far the niut butters are serving me well for that. So far not missing yogurt either and that is my other easy dessert fix--yogurt with berries. But the berries (or other fruit) on their own is fine too. Not sure how reliant I was on the yogurt to help my gut be healthier so we'll see if that makes a difference. I do eat sauerkraut regularly so that is supposed to be helpful too...
I am expecting some improvements with dairy-free as I do see signs that I don't tolerate dairy well so we'll see...

The stress is still coming and going. I'm definitely feeling more caught up and did some good cleaning around my place and things feel a little more orderly overall. Hoping for a run this morning, but it is frosty out. A little concerned about slippery sections but will hopefully give it a go.

Llama

Careful with that run when it´s slippery! I think it´s awesome how you built up your running from back when you were concerned about your feet and knees. More proof that slow and steady winds the race.
I figured the hardest thing would be missing the easy protein/fat fix of cheese, but so far the nut butters are serving me well for that.
I like that. Fake cheeses are generally pure carbs and fat and they don´t even taste good!

liza

Fake cheeses are generally pure carbs and fat and they don´t even taste good!
Yes I really like to stay away from the artificial substitutes as much as possible when it comes to meat and dairy. Best to just eat the natural alternatives I think. I did consider trying one cheese substitute to sprinkle on pasta (rice pasta that is), but so far haven't bothered to buy it.. Actuallly so far haven't even noticed the lack of dairy at all. I missed cheese a little one day for its instant protein/fat fix but really overall it's been a super easy switch.

I hope the stress continues to fade away as you get on top of things :grouphug:
Thanks Cate. Things really are feeling a lot better now thankfully.

I did a longer run today. I experimented by adding some distance after finishing what would be my normal longer distance. I'm not sure how long it would have been but i felt it was good for me to start adding some distance, both to increase my endurance, but also to just start to open to the idea of longer distance runs.
After the run, I continued on for about another hour of walking, much of it on the forest paths which was really nice.
I did feel tired afterward and can already feel it in my legs but I dont think I'm overly tired and I feel good about making a posible step toward the half-marathon distance (but maintaining the happy non-pressure feel about it!)

Llama

Yay for a possible more positive road to longer runs!
What I see whole-food vegans use instead of parmesan to sprinkle over dishes is a mixture of cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder, blended up very fine. Doesn't melt, of course, but the flavor is there. I prefer crushed fried onions with nutritional yeast, salt, and a bit of garlic powder but of course the oil in the (store-bought) onions makes it non-vegan.

liza

mixture of cashews, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder, blended up very fine.
Oh yeah I forgot about nutritional yeast--I used to like that even just used on its own as a topping...maybe will take a look for that again.
I wonder if those cashew mixes come pre-made too. I should take a look around.

Marsia

Wow, I love hearing about your running in the clouds and walking through the forest trails! And so glad the dairy-free trial is going so well. I found this shredded mozzarella fake cheese that is mostly olive oil and it melts well. Got it from a big box store. I've tried that cashew/nutritional yeast/garlic thing, and I don't like it, but I am not a big fan of cashews. I think the nutritional yeast by itself or maybe with the garlic would be nicer for me, and I think I'll try again with it that way - and I just got fried onions, so will try LaMa's mix. My skin tends to break out if I have too much dairy, but the yogurt doesn't bother me. That's great you are doing fermented things for gut health! Anyway, now that I get to have a life again, I am going to start walking and doing yoga again and join you in alleviating anxiety through exercise. It's wonderful to read how much it's helping you!!

liza

I forgot to look for the nutritional yeast when I went shopping yesterday! I remembered in the middle of it and then forgot again. I wasn't sure where I would find it, but was going to ask someone. Oh well I will live without cheesy flavor for another week.

Good runs on Tuesday and today. Was a bit shorter than I planned for today because I miraculously slept in--something I never do. So had to shorten the time. It was super rainy and pretty cold so I wasn't too disappointed to come back early :)

So far not seeing the improvements I had hoped for with excluding dairy. Was hoping and expecting to have a less boated gut, but so far it's all the same. Interesting to at least experiment with this and see if things I suspect are problematic actually are or not.

Llama

Yay for extra sleep! Are you doing the standard things like making sure you eat slowly/while relaxed, chew well, and drink enough water? Bad habits can cause as many gi issues as bad food.

Marsia

Sorry the gluten and dairy did not resolve the GI stuff. But at least that means you don't have a really restricted diet. I hope it ends up being something small that you don't mind giving up. Nice you got to sleep in. Glad you are enjoying runs even in the rain and cold. Love your dedication!

liza

Are you doing the standard things like making sure you eat slowly/while relaxed, chew well, and drink enough water?
After I read that I did a day of stopping myself from my usual method of inhaling my meals and chewed. I will really really have to try to remember to do that! I am terrible for eating while doing other things and really gulp things down. I remember noticing that while at retreat centers where mindful eating was encouraged I would eat way less too. I am honestly going to try and do better in that regard.

For water, I have been continuing to at least drink one glass before breakfast. I should try and make myself drink one glass before each meal I guess. It being colder nowadays I feel a lot less tempted to drink water. I don't really know what my fluid intake overall is--maybe will try and track that more.

Thanks for that reminder--sometimes it's the simplest things that make the biggest difference!

That's a shame about your gut issue not being resolved, Liza. I hope you do work it out soon xo
Yeah my gut has been a lifelong issue- was much worse when I was a kid. Had a stomach that looked like I was 9 months pregnant much of the time and was always constipated. Things got a lot better in my teens. Gut flattened, regular bowel movements. Now things feel somewhere between that. There are a lot of serious gut issues in my family so would really like to have a healthy gut so it doesn't become something serious and chronic.

Sorry the gluten and dairy did not resolve the GI stuff. But at least that means you don't have a really restricted diet
Well I am not ready to re-introduce those yet. I want to do at least 6 weeks dairy-free and by that point I'll have been 12 weeks gluten free.Then at that point will reassess. The diet is easy and I don't feel all that restricted. Just eat differently.

Glad you are enjoying runs even in the rain and cold. Love your dedication!
Yes sometimes hard to get out in it when I am looking at it from the cozy inside of my place, but I think my whole self knows what good it does for me. Yesterday I had to miss my run as I had to deal with a clogged drain at my place and all day I felt just that much crappier for having missed it.

Llama

For water, I have been continuing to at least drink one glass before breakfast. I should try and make myself drink one glass before each meal I guess. It being colder nowadays I feel a lot less tempted to drink water. I don't really know what my fluid intake overall is--maybe will try and track that more.
Nothing wrong with having a big mug of (herbal?) tea instead when it's cold.
Yesterday I had to miss my run as I had to deal with a clogged drain at my place and all day I felt just that much crappier for having missed it.
Oof, that stinks. Hope you managed to resolve it.

Cate

Long-term member.
I think slowing down your eating makes a big difference. I used to but had slipped back into my old bad habit of wolfing down my food. For the last week, I have practised eating really slowly & it helps me to eat less.
Do you like herbal tea. Liza? I can't remember.

Cate

Long-term member.
Hi, Liza. I hope you have had a lovely Christmas & are keeping well. I wish you all the best in the New Year & just wanted you to know that I am missing you in the forum :grouphug: