Liza's diary

Cate

Long-term member.
I'm glad you eat yoghurt every day. I have had significantly fewer gut issues since eating yoghurt regularly. It will be interesting to follow your gf experiment.

liza

Thanks cate and LaMa!
Yesterday decided to start logging all the food into cronometer along with notes on mood, gut issues etc. I figure I may as well log it in there so I can also see how I'm doing with calories and protein and nutrient levels at the same time.
Food and gut were good yesterday. Energy was ok. Did a 45 min run, followed by about an hour's walk. Rest of the day spent home. Cooked up some good food, played piano, virrtual visit with the family...so a good day in all :)
calorie deficit was 250, protein goals met.
Yesterday the fried egg with rice for breakfast was ok gut-wise, but felt a little heavy. This morning I had a boiled egg instead with rice cakes, some oil drizzled over. That felt about right.

Llama

Yesterday the fried egg with rice for breakfast was ok gut-wise, but felt a little heavy. This morning I had a boiled egg instead with rice cakes, some oil drizzled over. That felt about right.
Isn´t it weird how two so similar dishes can have a different effect on your body?

Marsia

Oh, sorry Liza, I think I got my gf flour mixes mixed up. I used to make one in bulk with brown rice flour, but I don't like it because of the texture, but Bob's doesn't have it, you are right! It sounds like you are doing great at logging things to see what helps your gut health and mood. Sounds like a lovely day visiting with family and getting in exercise and nice healthy things! Is chronometer like My Fitness Pal? That's the only tool like that I have used.

liza

Thanks LaMa, Cate and Marsia :grouphug:

Is chronometer like My Fitness Pal?
I get the sense that it is but have never used MFP, so not sure...

The logging is going well and is an interesting experiment. So far the GF is not feeling like it is making much, if any, difference, but will stick to it for at least a couple of weeks before I make any judgements on it.
One thing is that a lot of my go-to junky treats are eliminated so that's probably a positive. I still have chocolate, but no more cookies, pastries, pie etc so that's a lot of junk gone. I am relying too much on snacking on rice cakes, but trying to limit them.

Went running yesterday and was again so tired early on in it, so only lasted 25 minutes. I ended up walking for an hour after that though and it was really what my body and mind seemed to need. The walk was mostly forest trails and it felt so lovely and healing.
I had had such a bad day with anxiety the day before so the healing walk felt very much needed.

The morning here is misty/drizzly and hoping to get out on a walk in it shortly.

Llama

I´m sorry to hear anxiety was so high but great work getting out on that walk. Green stuff really is the best.

Cate

Long-term member.
Hi, Liza. I am really missing my walks. They are great therapy. I'm glad they help with your anxiety :grouphug:

alligatorob

Respected Member
Hey Liza, good to see you still at it. I have always found food logging to be a big help. I use My Fitness Pal, but have looked at Chronometer, I think either is good. Most important is that you do it!

I struggled with my gut for a few months last spring and early summer. Tried a bunch of stuff and nothing seemed to make a big difference, it just kind of got better on its own. Hope your's does.

toodamtall

Food logging... When I do it it works. The trick is making it a habit for me.

I've experimented with GF before. Came up with some really good recipes too, but I'm not sure how diet friendly some of them were. Key lime pie is still key lime pie, even if you use ground nuts for a crust, lol.

liza

Thanks all for your kind words and support.

My anxiety is really bad lately. Getting good breaks from it but it's going super high too often.
I haven't been tracking foods and moods because when i'm like this, all I do is try to get by day to day and tracking just seems unimportant.

Have been keeping up with gluten-free. Nothing interesting to note there in terms of any changes, positive or negative, with mood or gut.

Feeling super sad and frustrated with the anxiety situation.

I am continuing to keep on with the positive stuff--the walking, eating nutitious foods, connecting with people, but just having a really hard time.

liza

:grouphug: I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety. Could it just be the time of year?
Thanks LaMa:grouphug:

I don't think it is the time of year (Fall's my favorite and generally has a calming effect on me) We've been lucky with a beautiful Fall too with lots of nice sunny days. I think it's all just part of having a disorder. There are certain things I can put in place to make it more manageable but it can really just spike for seemingly no reason.

Anyways so far today is much better so one day at a time and all that!
I will try to get back to tracking but just so long as I can at least stay faithful to gluten-free for the next while to see if that will make any positive changes, I will be glad!

alligatorob

Respected Member
Sorry you are suffering from the anxiety thing. I don't know much about the condition, actually pretty much all I know I learned from you, but I do know that when I feel anxiety I don't like it. Hoping yours is getting better girl!
Fall's my favorite and generally has a calming effect on me
I like fall also, but can feel a bit bitter sweet about it. I don't like winter so fall is a kind of warning for that. And there seems to be some deeper thing, maybe it goes back to starting school?? As a kid I did not like school, too much structure for me. I did like college, but fall meant leaving home.... Don't know what, but there is something to it. For me anyway.
I will try to get back to tracking but just so long as I can at least stay faithful to gluten-free for the next while to see if that will make any positive changes, I will be glad!
Sounds good, and it should help. Why do people do "gluten-free" diets? Just showing my ignorance here. Never hard to find...

Marsia

Hi Liza, so sorry you are struggling with anxiety. I have been too lately, and I am wearing my little mala bracelet that I use to do breathing meditation. I put my finger on the next bead every exhale, and that helps me focus on belly breathing which calms me down. So I wear the bracelet lately as a reminder to stop and breathe out the tension I am holding in. I also like the symbolism of the mala, how there is the Buddha bead to remind us of Buddha-nature, and there are the other beads representing all the struggles in life and how they are all connected to the Buddha bead - they are all part of the path of maturation and growth. Anyway, I hope the anxiety lifts quickly.

Rob, I do gluten free baking for my daughter who gets stomach aches if she gets too much gluten. I use flours with different nutritional values like garbanzo flour, and it actually tastes better to me, too, having nuttier or richer flours in recipes. It is harder to bake gf though. Everything wants to stick to the pan!

toodamtall

Hi Liza! Its strange how anxiety can kind of sneak up on us sometimes. I sort of had a piece of one of those days today. I just realized that my head wasn't in the right spot, I was pacing, nervous energy, didn't know what to do with myself. Even felt a little shaky. I did recognize it after a while and did some breathing and a little self affirmation. After a little bit it subsided. I hate the feeling.

liza

Hello everyone,
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and kind replies. I've gotten behind with posting so will try and post here and then make my way round to everyone else's diaries in the next couple of days. Last few days I have been coming round and just reading some of people's posts but didn't have the energy or something to reply. Sometimes too it's just frustration with my computer as it will often freeze in the middle of my posting.
Sadly true. Glad you had a better day though and kudos for sticking to your gluten-free experiment despite the anxiety.
Thanks LaMa. Yes I'm kind of proud of sticking to it! At first I was trying to be a bit more healthy along with being gluten-free. I figured since I couldn't eat cookies and pie, it would be a good opportunity to stop eating junk, but with the anxiety, I decided to allow myself junk so long as it didn't have gluten. So I've had more ice cream in the past few days than I had all summer long! Sugar and chocolate help me cope in the short-term. Not the best choices but maybe better than my old crutches of cigarettes and alcohol...
And there seems to be some deeper thing, maybe it goes back to starting school?? As a kid I did not like school, too much structure for me. I did like college, but fall meant leaving home.... Don't know what, but there is something to it. For me anyway.
I agree Rob, there's definitely something sweetly sad about the Fall. I imagine it is because so much of nature is facing the end of its life, or going into hibernation etc. I find it's definitely an introspective time. Sometimes a little sad, but it's soothing too and usually helps my anxiety calm. I prefer sadness to anxiety...I hated school too and I still get so happy that Fall no longer means 'back to school' for me :)
Why do people do "gluten-free" diets? Just showing my ignorance here. Never hard to find...
For me it's just to test if I do have a sensitivity to gluten, since it's a fairly common sensitivity. I've had gut issues my whole life. I've also read that sometimes a sensitivity to gluten can play a role in anxiety so I was hoping I might see positive changes there...so far no changes...
sorry you are struggling with anxiety. I have been too lately, and I am wearing my little mala bracelet that I use to do breathing meditation
So sorry you are struggling to Marsia. I love the sound of the mala bracelet. I don't have mala beads but I do have rosary beads (Catholic prayer beads) They are wooden and lovely to use. I don't pray the actual rosary, but have used them at times--just have them in my pocket on my walks, as I finger the beads and do my own sort of prayer/meditation with them.
It is quite grounding to have the beads to ground myslef in touch.
I was pacing, nervous energy, didn't know what to do with myself. Even felt a little shaky. I did recognize it after a while and did some breathing and a little self affirmation. After a little bit it subsided.
So good you were able to ground yourself in self-affirmations and breathing. My anxiety doesn't manifest so much as nervous energy but more a deep dread sort of feeling. But yes, none of those feel good!

Anyhow my anxiety seems to be subsiding a bit the last couple of days. I have gotten more serious about my CBT work again. But will I stick to it? That's the problem is when it starts to subside, I stop doing the work--very much like weight-loss! So I will try to do a bit of CBT book work each day. The other thing I remembered is that my anxiety can get worse with PMS, so that probably played a role this time.

I haven't been running this past week. Just not up for it, but have gotten out walking regularly and some really nice long ones (not long by LaMa standards but by mine!)

Anyways the experiment goes on.

With gratitude for all of you:grouphug:

toodamtall

Gratitude is a wonderful thing.