Liza's diary

Cate

Long-term member.
I'm glad that you are enjoying the cooler weather, Liza. It really is a good idea to keep track of what you're eating. I should be doing the same as I have lots of inflammation & can't think what's causing it.
It's good that just checking in on people's diaries helps keeps you focussed on your health. I like that :)

Marsia

So glad your anxiety levels are low now. I hoped you were doing well this last week. It's nice to hear you are back on your runs again!

liza

Thanks LaMa, Cate and Marsia,

Yes, would be good if I had been keeping an accurate record of foods and different body and mind stuff going on....at least I have these diaries to refer back to...I think that's about all I'll be able to manage. There are always just so many factors. Like with the excema flare up, I think it's been pretty good lately and then just this last week it's gotten bad again...and I haven't changed anything with diet...actually not true--I had some nori sheets which I haven't had in ages and I think I saw a skin reaction with that before which is why I'd given up eating them before. Interesting--I just googled that and it looks like it could very well be a possible reaction!
...and my computer just started acting up so am going to try and post this and get to everyone else's diaries later.
Heading out on a run now.

Marsia

Great you may have caught the culprit giving you excema. I hope you have good luck fixing your computer, and had a lovely run!

liza

Thanks all! Yes so good to have worked that out about the nori. A little disappointed of course as I thought they would be a nice easy gluten-free addition, but yes, definitely not worth the excema outbreaks. I am already missing some of my easy gluten go-to's.
I know I'll miss my morning pancakes, so maybe will have to experiment with some gluten-free flours for just that. The wheat flour should be finished within 3-4 days I think.

The run yesterday was hard. I had planned for about 1hr10 and had to walk after only 30 minutes! I was so strangely tired--mostly my leg muscles, but can't think of any good reason for that. The walking was fine though.
I have been extra tired these past few days in general. I can't tell if it's more physical or more emotional. But just doing my best to move along with the days and do my best to make healthy choices.

Today was nice. After listening to a Buddhist talk, I headed out on a lovely walk to the forest/park. It was just a nice drizzly rain. Got home and it's been pouring pretty good since. Made a good lentil stew with rice, cleaning up my place a little. Hopefully a load of laundry and some piano tonight.

Marsia

Hi Liza, the lentil stew after a nice forest walk sounds so nice. I had my online meditation class today, so we both had a nice Buddhist teachings day. It sounds like you are doing well with exercise, listening to your body and doing what you can.

There is a nice pre-packaged gluten free flour mix (Bob's Red Mill) you can sometimes get in the stores, and if not, for pancakes a mixture of tapioca flour and millet flour (half and half) works well. The tapioca flour binds things together, and the millet makes it nutty flavored and nutritious. You can add more flours or sub something starchy like potato starch or corn starch for the tapioca flour. Just be careful not to add too much brown rice flour. It'll suck up more moisture than other flours, and is coarser and creates a course texture if you add too much - kinda like adding corn meal. Ok, sorry for all the unsolicited gf advice. I love baking with all sorts of flour substitutes.

Hope you got to have some nice piano time!

Cate

Long-term member.
I have been extra tired these past few days in general. I can't tell if it's more physical or more emotional. But just doing my best to move along with the days and do my best to make healthy choices.
Do you think it may just be the change in seasons? I have been exhausted the last few days too.
I'm going to make LaMa's lentil stew next week when G is away. I just love the idea of it.

liza

Ok, sorry for all the unsolicited gf advice. I love baking with all sorts of flour substitutes.
Advice very much welcome! Thanks! I looked for and found that Bob's Red Mill flour mix. Sort of expensive but nice to have that option.
Maybe I'll just have pancakes less often.
Do you think it may just be the change in seasons? I have been exhausted the last few days too.
Sorry to hear you are feeling exhausted too Cate. My tiredness seems better today--I hope it lasts!

Got out on a good run this morning that went better than the last one. Weather's lovely and sunny after huge rains yesterday.

liza

Today should be my last wheat day! Just finished off the bag of wheat flour so that is it for my stores of gluten. I don't really think the final cutting out of wheat will make a difference as I already cut out so much wheat this last month and haven't seen any changes yet.
...and my eczema is still acting up, so wondering if it was those nori sheets, or something else...
Yesterday I spent the whole day at home. I hardly ever do that. Like no walk or anything! It felt good though. Got a lot done around the apartment that needed doing, rested lots, listened to a good talk by a Buddhist teacher, played piano....it was lovely :)
Today hoping for a run, but after a day of lying about, runs aren't as inviting, so it may turn into a walk instead! Either way I must get outside today.

Llama

The occasional home day can be great! Best of luck with the wheatlessness: on the one hand figuring out a trigger is great but at the same time not having to further restrict is kind of great.

Marsia

Hi Liza, I hope you like eating gf. I agree about the pre-packaged Bob's gf flour being so expensive. I mostly get mine in bulk at the health food store and mix the different kinds together at home. A nice productive home day is always satisfying. I hope you get some nice outdoor time in no matter what you end up doing. :)

liza

Thanks LaMa, Cate and Marsia :grouphug:

The run yesterday went well. Had so much energy I guess after that day in and ended up running longer than I had planned. I did kind of pay for it later though with sore muscles...
Today's beginning to gluten-frree started out good as that flour mix did make really good pancakes....but then my gut didn't seem to appreciate it as they went right through me :( So we''ll see.I know I've done gluten free before and did ok but maybe will just have to do more basic foods.
I will have the next 6 weeks to experiment I guess....

Cate

Long-term member.
Well done on the run! That's odd that GF flour went straight through you. Do you eat much yoghurt, Liza?

Llama

Hehe, kind of relieved to hear that even regular runner get sore sometimes 🙈
I'd say keep recording your attempts and symptoms but don't try to draw conclusions yet. Patterns take time to develop.

Marsia

I wonder if the brown rice flour in the flour mix did that? That's odd. Nice you are doing long runs again. Hope you could get a nice hot shower or bath for your muscles!

liza

Well done on the run! That's odd that GF flour went straight through you. Do you eat much yoghurt, Liza?
Thanks Cate :) I do eat yogurt daily. I did make sure to have some after my lunch later and my stomach stayed settled for the rest of the day thankfully.
I wonder if the brown rice flour in the flour mix did that? That's odd.
hmmm...I must have gotten a different mix from the one you meant (I did notice quite a few options) Mine has no brown rice flour...
First ingredient is garbanzo bean flour, then potato starch, tapioca flour, sorghum flour and fava bean flour. So maybe my stomach doesn't like all those bean flours in the morning!
My stomach is pretty sensitive in the mornings. So I will try the other pancake I made yesterday in the afternoon or evening and see if I have a similar reaction.
I'd say keep recording your attempts and symptoms but don't try to draw conclusions yet. Patterns take time to develop.
Yes for sure will do that! Will try to include foods here along with mood, fatigue, etc

The rest of day 1 gluten free went well yesterday. Anxiety levels lowish, energy ok
My lunch was rice, with tomato sauce including, tofu, onion, cabbage
almonds chocolate and yogurt as snacks
supper was rice tofu and sauerkraut
evening snack rice cakes with cheese
and then cocoa in the evening

Today started my day with a fried egg and rice, with some cheese. Gut ok.

Thought I would record my weight and body fat as a sort of beginning marker too. So weight is 137, body fat at 28.9%