Liza's diary

Marsia

It's worth a try taking in the jacket you already have. I have a cold weather coat I love that is too big now and the wind blows up it, so I know what you mean.

liza

so i learned at an early age, you can't get any wetter than soaking wet. once you're there, running in the rain didn't seem like a big deal.
I have a friend who runs in the rain with a similar attitude--no proper rain gear at all--he just gets soaked and loves it :)
But I guess if you made overlapping seams instead of abutting ones (I don´t know the proper terms in English, sorry) it should work?
ok will keep the seams in mind--thanks LaMa
if you have a sewing machine. It's worth a try
I don't have a sewing machine...was hoping just to do it by hand...
I think making do with what we have is always a good idea if we can.
Yes I always like just working with what I have. Partly because I hate shopping and partly because there is just so much waste that I'd rather not add more than I need to!
I have a cold weather coat I love that is too big now and the wind blows up it, so I know what you mean.
with this one the wind doesn't get in but it's really bulky and looks a little ridiculous for my size, but also just the bulk kind of interferes with the running!

Yesterday went ok. Did the week's shopping. Still not ready for gluten-free as I'm still trying to get through all my flour products I have at my place! I can't believe how long this stuff is lasting. That's ok though. I kind of like the oppportunity to try out different gluten-free products while I wait for the full transition. I had tried one kind of rice crackers last week and found them too oily so I switched this week to a more traditional rice cake, but with quinoa and rice. I like them and not fatty so that's good. Also trying to find a good cereal replacement for the granola I like to have as snacks. So far can't find one that isn't too sweet though. I may have to just really limit the amount I have or give it up altogether.

Cate

Support crew
It's really hard to find nice rice crackers. I find them either too thin & moreish like potato crisps or too tough.
If you were planning to take a blood test to see if there are indications that you are coeliac you have to keep eating gluten products for 3 weeks. Well, that's what I had to do anyway. I bloated up like a blimp.

Marsia

I make my own granola with oats, peanut butter I warm up in the microwave so it's easier to mix with the other ingredients, nuts, dried fruit, a little zero calorie sugar, and sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder, coconut, hemp hearts, or a little chocolate chips. It's very easy to make and is much tastier than you get in the store. It's good as a trail mix, too. I get why you'd want to take your jacket in. Running with something obstructing movement doesn't sound fun. I hope the hand sewing goes well! Have you tried Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins? They're very tasty and gluten free.

Cate, I could not eat gluten products for 3 weeks. I recently spent a weekend where a friend dished up our meals, and she fed us all this gluten free pasta and other gluten free carb-filled stuff, and I gained 3 pounds, not even on the hardcore glutenous stuff!

toodamtall

I have exactly zero advice on all things running related. Always hated that sport...
Cycling, we can talk. Any outdoor cardio in cold though, decent quality, moisture wicking base layers make the rest of the gear work better, for sure.

liza

If you were planning to take a blood test to see if there are indications that you are coeliac you have to keep eating gluten products for 3 weeks.
I'm not planning to do the blood test--I don't think I would show up as celiac--I only imagine a sensitivity--hoping it might help with the bloating...although my bloating also comes with chickpeas and lentils so not sure if wheat will make a big difference--just easier for me to give up wheat than beans and legumes!

I make my own granola with oats, peanut butter I warm up in the microwave so it's easier to mix with the other ingredients, nuts, dried fruit, a little zero calorie sugar, and sometimes unsweetened cocoa powder, coconut, hemp hearts, or a little chocolate chips.
Man that sounds so good! Maybe I should give another go at making my own. Do you buy special oats that are sure to not come into contact with gluten? Just wondering if I should be including oats at all...the gf cereal I'm using now is also oat free...
Have you tried Blue Diamond brand Nut Thins?
I haven't tried those--I'll see if our store has them next time I shop--thanks for the tip.
Any outdoor cardio in cold though, decent quality, moisture wicking base layers make the rest of the gear work better, for sure.
Good tip--thanks!

Went for the best run ever this morning--just one of those days when everything came together just right. Beautiful, cool, cloudy day and for the first hour it stayed that way. Then just as I reached the forest trails, the rain started to fall, so just a nice drizzle through the forest--the last 15 minutes of my cool down walk home the rain came down harder. So lovely altogether. Energy was really good too (probably partly because of the coolness)

Made a lovely curried chickpea and veggie meal over pasta (yes still gluten pasta--still trying to get through that as well!) for lunch. (and interestingly no bloat today!)
Will be a restful rest of the day puttering around the apartment and hopefully playing some piano...

Today is official weigh in for me--136...staying stable there for now. Still would like to see that move down one of these days, but not ready to set any strict goals around that. Good enough for now.

LaMaria

Just wondering if I should be including oats at all...the gf cereal I'm using now is also oat free...
That´s the danger of doing these things without medical supervision: many people end up with an unnecessarily impoverished diet. Don´t cut out more than you really need to test please.
although my bloating also comes with chickpeas and lentils so not sure if wheat will make a big difference--just easier for me to give up wheat than beans and legumes!
Her personality kind of grates on me for some reason but her information is often very interesting. As she says though: don´t try without professional supervision.
Today is official weigh in for me--136...staying stable there for now. Still would like to see that move down one of these days, but not ready to set any strict goals around that. Good enough for now.
Stability is good and good enough really IS good enough :grouphug:

Marsia

Hi Liza, we didn't use the truly gluten free oats because my kid only has gluten sensitivity, not a full blown allergy. She can eat gluten, she just gets a bad stomach ache if she eats too much. I have read that wheat grown in the US has been bred to be extra glutinous so it is more fattening than the wheat in most other countries. Not sure if this is true or not, but I just avoid most wheat because of my kid.

I think you have a great attitude about your weight, and I love reading your diary and getting inspired by your running and hobbies and gardening. Happy Sunday!

Cate

Support crew
Hi, Liza. I think that I am sensitive to wheat mostly & restrict that in my diet. I also get bloat with legumes. I don't have any trouble with oats. Like Marsia's daughter, I can tolerate some gluten but get a stomach ache if I have much. As LaMa says, it's best not to restrict your diet unnecessarily at the expense of nutrition.
Your last run in the rain sounded wonderful. That is not something I would expect myself to type. I hope you find some lightweight weather-proof gear. It would make a lot of difference.

liza

Don´t cut out more than you really need to test please.
Yeah I won't. I plan to only cut out gluten. Oats are iffy on that front and since I only eat oats as snack food in granola, it woudn't really cut into my nutrition or anything. I've done big elimination diets before and have never had a problem of cutting out too much nutritious food.
we didn't use the truly gluten free oats because my kid only has gluten sensitivity, not a full blown allergy.
I don't have any trouble with oats.
That's good to know that oats haven't been an issue for either of you--I will keep that in mind as I plan the gluten-free time. I wouldn't mind finding a good store bought cereal that is GF. So far all the granolas I've looked at actually contain wheat too, so I could either go with making my own granola like you marsia, or try to just find a different cereal. It's just for snacking. For breakfast I have other stuff.

Last few days have been ok. I seem to be having more anxiety and depression than usual though so that's been a bit tough navigating my way through that. I am glad that through it all I am mostly eating ok and getting in a fair amount of exercise--mostly walks.
I feel very tired and am not sleeping great.
My weight also seems to be creeping up...so thinking if it is still like that by Saturday I may need to set some new goals.
Other than that...things are pretty good. Loving the autumn weather. Getting rains regularly now and the sunny days are cool and gentle.One of these days i will go out and plant my winter cover crops.

Cate

Support crew
Hi, Liza. Good for you eating well & getting some exercise in when you are struggling. Do you think your anxiety & depression are linked to the changes in seasons? I think mine might be.

Marsia

Hi Liza, glad you are getting walks in, and I hope they help with the stress of being anxious. And I agree with Cate about eating well - it's hard when you don't have as much energy, but so good you are taking care of yourself. Planting cover crops sounds like fun. I'll live vicariously through you, as I probably won't get to garden until spring.

toodamtall

Hi Liza! Gluten is a funny thing. It manifests itself to those with some form of gluten intolerance in different ways. I have an aunt who is a coeliac and it does some nasty stuff to her GI system. I was diagnosed years ago because of a pretty terrible skin rash that was a direct result of the autoimmune aspect of gluten. Then something changed in my system, and it went away... still not sure how that happened. I still try to stay away from it to a degree though because I just seem to feel, I don't know, lethargic I guess?

liza

Hi, Liza. Good for you eating well & getting some exercise in when you are struggling. Do you think your anxiety & depression are linked to the changes in seasons? I think mine might be.
Thanks Cate. Not sure about mine being linked to the seasons--I seem to go through waves of it regardless of the season where it just intensifies sometimes and then goes back down again. I do seem to get heightened anxiety in the spring, but the fall is usually a calming time for me. There are just so many factors in the emotional realm I guess! Hard to know what the cause is sometimes...
Planting cover crops sounds like fun. I'll live vicariously through you, as I probably won't get to garden until spring.
I just planted a round of winter peas yesterday. :)
I was diagnosed years ago because of a pretty terrible skin rash that was a direct result of the autoimmune aspect of gluten. Then something changed in my system, and it went away... still not sure how that happened.
So interesting that it just seemed to go away like that! The body sure is a complicated system though so maybe not too surprising that it could just change its mind like that.
Sounds like you have a solid plan for your glutenfree experiment. I hope it'll help you feel better!
I hope so! Would be so great to see some improvements for body and mind!

The depression and anxiety have eased in the last day so that feels good. We're having some stormy weather right now too and that feels nice and cozy and certainly nice to get some deep rains for the thirsty earth!
I ate well today (good lentil stew) but haven't moved much. So nice to just enjoy the wind and rain while warm and dry inside!

Marsia

The depression and anxiety have eased in the last day so that feels good. We're having some stormy weather right now too and that feels nice and cozy and certainly nice to get some deep rains for the thirsty earth!
I ate well today (good lentil stew) but haven't moved much. So nice to just enjoy the wind and rain while warm and dry inside!
So happy to hear you are feeling better and enjoying being warm and cozy while watching the rains. I love that, too! Do you get a sense of what changes between when you are feeling down and when you are feeling better?

liza

Do you get a sense of what changes between when you are feeling down and when you are feeling better?
Well I know the anxiety goes up with any kind of stressors, but a lot of it is kind of unpredicatble--like sometimes I can cope surprisingly well with extra stress and other times it just completely throws me. But then other times I can't see any extra stressors and my anxiety goes up anyway. I just take it all as livng with an anxiety disorder and try my best to cope...
Autumn is a lovely time. I hope the golden light and warm colors will help soothe your mind.
It really is a lovely time--I am loving the cool weather lately. The walks and runs have been so nice!
I'm glad your anxiety lessened & you are enjoying feeling warm & cozy inside :grouphug:
Thanks Cate :)

I guess it's almost been a week since I posted here! The week's been pretty good. The anxiety and depression have remained low.
Getting out for some nice long walks and good runs. This is really our perfect season--nice and cool, some rain but not pouring every day. I feel like all the land around here is breathing a sigh of relief after that terribly hot summer.

My weight had been going up but is back down to 136 these past 2 days, so as long as it holds to that I won't have to change much yet. Have switched a lot of my foods to gluten-free. Still working my way through the bag of flour though and won't switch completely over until that's empty.

My excema on my hands has been acting up--I really should be noting all these things before I switch to see if there are any changes to anything, be it my skin, my bloating or my anxiety levels. Good thing I have some record of things here in my diary...

I am having some trouble with my computer again so not always easy to get in here and post, but am doing my best to keep up. It's good for me even just keeping up with reading all your posts in your diaries to help me keep in a frame of mind of health.

LaMaria

My excema on my hands has been acting up--I really should be noting all these things before I switch to see if there are any changes to anything, be it my skin, my bloating or my anxiety levels. Good thing I have some record of things here in my diary...
Very important to record these things if you want to make the most of your exclusion diet.

I´m glad to hear you´re doing a bit better, computer problems or not.