Liza's diary

Marsia

and someone who has read the main book (we call it the Big Book), I realized that ACT is actually pretty well described throughout. Funny, I've been doing it for a while now!
That's cool you find it helpful, too, even though you didn't know you were doing it. I think our society is so addictive that nearly everyone could benefit from either the 12 steps or some other form of learning to let go of addictive ego fixations for something higher and bigger than ourselves.

Hi Liza! I'll let you know how the two garden teas compare once our garden is set up at the new place. Glad you did so well with running and healthy foods!

liza

. As a regular of AA and someone who has read the main book (we call it the Big Book), I realized that ACT is actually pretty well described throughout. Funny, I've been doing it for a while now!
Very cool about the crossovers there. i've often been curious about the AA program--I like the sound of the 12 steps and the idea of peer support. Peer support has helped me through a lot of my stuff.
Well done, Liza 👏
Thanks Cate :)
I think our society is so addictive that nearly everyone could benefit from either the 12 steps or some other form of learning to let go of addictive ego fixations for something higher and bigger than ourselves.
Yes I think we can all afford to do work on ourselves for sure!

Today is my official weigh-in--136

This week has gone by pretty good without setting any official goals for the week. I always have it in mind to aim for 3 runs/week and I did that and I feel satisfied with my food choices as well.
My big hope was to shift time and attention to my anxiety issues and work in a more focused way on CBT stuff while maintaining a generally healthy lifestyle and diet. That's gone pretty well.
I will continue with that in mind. Maybe stepping up the CBT work a little more though. And also focusing on getting better sleeps at night by going to bed earlier. Too many nights of lounging on the couch with netflix and chess!

I had been hoping to switch to gluten free this week but since i want to clear more gluten products from my kitchen first, that probably won't start for another week...

Cate

Support crew
I must find that card with the book name written on it. Your week seems to have gone really well, Liza. We are all a work in progress & I like how you do not put too much pressure on yourself, yet continue to nurture yourself & do the things that you know will benefit your physical & mental health.

liza

Great to hear you´re doing well with your CBT. Anxiety can really mess life up.
Thanks LaMa--yes anxiety can certainly mess things up for sure! It's been a tough journey with it but I am glad to have had a lot of good help and supports along the way to navigate it.
I must find that card with the book name written on it. Your week seems to have gone really well, Liza. We are all a work in progress & I like how you do not put too much pressure on yourself, yet continue to nurture yourself & do the things that you know will benefit your physical & mental health.
Thanks Cate. Yes I think one thing living with an anxiety disorder teaches me is to try and go easy on myself. Not too easy so as to give up, but to try for the healthy things in a light way.

Yesterday went well. Got out into the cold rainy morning for a run. Wow was it chilly out there in my shorts and t-shirt for the warm up walk! But was so nice once I started running and warmed up properly to have the light rain falling keeping me comfortable for the run...I was happy that i could pack up a light jacket and fit in the fanny pack for the cool down wak back home, because yep, as soon as I finished the run, I was super chilly again.
I really like those running shorts and top I bought to keep me cooler in the summer--so far they work well for the rain too since they don't absorb the water the same way cotton does. I'm not sure how long I can keep wearing them as things cool down, but for now they are nice.
The rest of the day I spent at home, cooked a really nice spaghetti dinner, did a fair amount of housework, played piano....all while it poured down with rain outside. So it felt like a cozy and productive enough day all round.

LaMaria

I really like those running shorts and top I bought to keep me cooler in the summer--so far they work well for the rain too since they don't absorb the water the same way cotton does. I'm not sure how long I can keep wearing them as things cool down, but for now they are nice.
The right kind of layers can make SUCH a difference. I´m sure you´ll find a colder-weather alternative as well :)
So it felt like a cozy and productive enough day all round.
Yay for that!

Marsia

Yes I think one thing living with an anxiety disorder teaches me is to try and go easy on myself. Not too easy so as to give up, but to try for the healthy things in a light way.
I really like this a lot! I have been stressing myself out about the move too hard and it wears me out, so I am going to borrow your advice to yourself!

Do they make long sleeved running gear in the same fabric? Sounds really nice cooking and cleaning and playing music while it pours down rain. Glad you had a nice cozy, productive day!

liza

Thanks Cate, LaMa and Marsia :)
I will definitely look into what gear would work well for the colder wetter weather. Not too sure yet what's out there but I'm sure there are good options. Last year I did ok with not great gear but as I see this running habit sticking, I feel more willing to invest in good gear--especially seeing the difference the running shorts made through the hot summer.

Yesterday went pretty good. Did some kind of interesting made up combo of strengthening, yoga and qigong in the morning while doing a load of laundry. I don't think it would count for proper strength training but that's ok. I would benefit from making that a part of my regular routine I'm sure. It gave my arms some resistance work at least and stretched out parts of my body that needed attention. I keep feeling a certain weakness in my back this past week. I haven't felt that in a while so will need to keep an eye on it and try to do kind things for it.
We had more rain and the land is looking relieved and grateful for it. Hope to get out for a run this morning...a little trouble getting motivated for it. Just feeling a bit tired but hopefully will get to it...also have a stack of dishes I didn't do yesterday that should be done this morning if I don't want it to interfere with my ability to cook something healthy later on....
...ok...just took that opportunity to go wash enough dishes and clear enough kitchen space to cook properly later...now can run and come back to a clear eanough kitchen....
happy day everybody!

LaMaria

Take care of that back! Decent layers in cold weather are definitely helpful as well: I love wearing thin gloves while running in winter.

Marsia

Yes, ditto about your back. Hope yoga is helping. I'll trade you some strength training for some of your aerobics. I have enough packing credits so I can definitely give you some!

liza

Thanks LaMa, Cate and Marsia :grouphug:

Yes will do my best to not let my back get worse! And hopefully it will correct itself.
Good tips on running gear LaMa and Cate--thanks! Layers sound good--especially if they are light and small and easy to pack into the fanny pack as I go. I do usually just take a beanie which keeps me warm and then is easily taken off when I'm too hot...I could still use with a better water resistant jacket for running. I have one that helps if it's just a drizzle but when it pours it's not much help... good running jackets are expensive, but maybe worth it at this point.
I'll trade you some strength training for some of your aerobics. I have enough packing credits so I can definitely give you some!

Wouldn't that be great if we could just do some nice trades like that Marsia :) It is funny how it's easier to get some strengthening when it's part of my real life stuff like gardening--I actually enjoy it then, but so hard for me to make myself do strengthening workouts!

Last couple of days have been pretty good. Got a run in on Monday. Yesterday not too much activity, but did get some garden fall cleanup in, along with a bunch of housework. Food has been ok...not great--too many easy fatty snacks supplementing my meals instead of just making more healthy food, but it hasn't been too bad. Supposed to run this morning but it is coming down pretty good with rain so we'll see about that...I could opt to stay inside and maybe do a HIIT workout instead...

LaMaria

I have one that helps if it's just a drizzle but when it pours it's not much help... good running jackets are expensive, but maybe worth it at this point.
I don´t mind rain when running but then I don´t run far and I start and finish at my front door. With your distances staying dry should be a priority!

Marsia

Hi Liza! I really prefer gardening to just weights, too, but if I remember to find a youtube video where I lift weights with a video, I don't mind. Also yoga where I use my own body weight is nice and I like the challenge.

It's great your garden is getting such good rains, even though it makes it hard for you to get a good run in. Too bad you don't have a way to save the rain in big barrels or something for when there are drought conditions. Are nylon lightweight rain slickers ok for the rain, or does it just soak through? I am a cheapskate and buy sporting good clothes at sporting goods outlets. Hope you got some nice exercise in!

liza

Thanks LaMa, Cate and Marsia
Yes will figure out this running in rain thing as I go--last winter I was able to run most days. I just like to have the runs as comfy and easy as possible. I am certainly grateful for all and any rain we are getting at this point as the water levels are still super low so no complaining here if it does interfere with my runs at all. As it ended up yesterday, right after I posted here, the rain stopped and I did get out on my run.
I'm not sure if there are good enough nylon jackets for rain marsia--i will look into it. The jacket I have now is nylon and ok for drizzle but not proper rain, but it's really old--maybe they make them better now.
I did end up getting an ok second hand one last year for running in proper rain and cold but it's way too big for me--I am wondering if I could try taking it in a bit myself. I'm no seamstress but I wouldn't care what it looked like just for running...and that would save me a lot of money if I wouldn't have to buy a brand new one.

overlandflyer

every once in a while i get flashbacks to playing soccer (from 6th grade thru college senior). one thing about soccer, unless it comes with lightening or attached to hurricane winds, there was never a game called because of rain (or snow... twice!). so i learned at an early age, you can't get any wetter than soaking wet. once you're there, running in the rain didn't seem like a big deal.

LaMaria

The problem with taking in raincoats is that the seams are often no longer waterproof. But I guess if you made overlapping seams instead of abutting ones (I don´t know the proper terms in English, sorry) it should work?

Cate

Support crew
Taking in your raincoat should work, Liza, if you have a sewing machine. It's worth a try. They do make amazing waterproof running & cycling gear now, but it sure isn't cheap. I think making do with what we have is always a good idea if we can.