Liza's diary

LaMaria

Mental health is definitely more important than a handful of extra pounds. At the same time I agree that eating well and moving (things that tend to keep my weight stable) also help with my mood and anxiety a lot. So it sounds like as long as you take care of yourself you´ll be ok either way.
Do remember that if you want to get tested for gluten issues you need to keep eating the stuff. If you´re just looking at minor differences you can of course do anything you want!

liza

Do remember that if you want to get tested for gluten issues you need to keep eating the stuff. If you´re just looking at minor differences you can of course do anything you want!
Yeah I don't really think I have a proper allergy to it, so it will just be testing to see if I feel better without it and if I have less bloating. I've done full on elimination diets before and I usually feel better on them but have never identified which foods are the actual issue because I never do the proper slow re-introduction of the foods. So this time I will try a different approach to just eliminating one food that is often problematic for people...we'll see how it goes...

I had a lovely start to my day yesterday with the lovely walk I mentioned in an earlier post--the 25 min walk to the trails, an hour walk thru the trails, 25 min walk back. It's a wonderful walk and very good for body and mind.
Came back and made a good lunch of rice, chickpeas and greens with miso and ginger for flavor.
But after that my energy completely left me and it never really returned...
It was ok in that I had a quiet evening of piano, a chat with the family, some chess and netflix...but not so good in that I keep getting behind in housework stuff because I just feel too tired to do any of it. So this morning waking to a kitchen full of dishes, and laundry that I should have done yesterday...
So now do I use up my run time to catch up on that, or do I run and hope that my energy won't leave me again so that the housework keeps piling up...
My muscles are also sore...
Anyways maybe will do a compromise, like maybe a short run, or just a walk, and try to get at least the dishes done this morning...

LaMaria

If your muscles are already sore taking a break from running and doing a little housework instead sounds sensible!

Cate

Support crew
I had a lovely start to my day yesterday with the lovely walk I mentioned in an earlier post--the 25 min walk to the trails, an hour walk thru the trails, 25 min walk back. It's a wonderful walk and very good for body and mind.
That walk sounds lovely!
Hope you find a balance with your day, Liza & get some housework done in there. I hate housework, but it can get you down when it builds up.

Marsia

Oh yes that will be great! Especially after having worked so long and hard with the house remodeling and packing up!
So nice to have you back to the forum-- I have thought about you while you've been away and wondering how your move has been going. I'm glad you returned :)
Thanks, Liza! I'm glad I returned, too! I have the same problem either getting housework done or packing. Some days I just do a tiny bit of the dishes at a time, and other days I want the house to be clean and take the day off from packing to get things all nice again. I just do it by mood. Maybe you can go for a brisk walk on days you do a lot of housework just to keep the pattern of going out and doing something aerobic? Are you doing CBT with a therapist? I did a Buddhist version of CBT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, ACT, with a friend who also has bad social anxiety, and it did help just to do a workbook with her. We still email each other and bring up the concepts we learned in our workbook at times. I'm not cured of social anxiety, but am much better at interacting with people and don't tend to freeze up like a deer in headlights anymore or panic and blurt out something that makes me sound weird or inappropriate.

It sounds like you are doing great with piano, running, and eating well!

liza

If your muscles are already sore taking a break from running and doing a little housework instead sounds sensible!
Thanks LaMa--that makes me feel better about taking the break :)
I hate housework, but it can get you down when it builds up.
It sure can Cate. And it just seems so easy for me to fall behind on. I wish housework ( and cooking too actually) could feel more like gardening to me, where I am excited about getting to it and can just get absorbed in such a delightful way. I remember my Grandma telling me how she could spend hours in the garden, but hated the housework, so seems i come from a long lineage of this attitude :)
She did love to cook though, so I missed out on that part...
Are you doing CBT with a therapist?
No therapist at the moment. I wish I could organize one, but just can't seem to. I have had group therapy with CBT in the past and have workbooks on it, so now when I find my anxiety is getting out of hand, I just pull the books out and work on it on my own. Definitely not as fun as it was with the groups tho!
I've heard of ACT but never looked much into it. That's excellent that it did help you a lot. I really like the practical aspects of CBT and have found it has made a big difference with my anxiety, but it does seem to be an on-going journey with me!
I do find, too, that a lot of stuff I learned through studying with Buddhists has also helped the anxiety, so not too surprised that someone figured out a way to meld the 2 systems together. Maybe I'll have a look at ACT at some point.

Was glad to not do the run yesterday and just catch up a bit around the house. I got a short walk in later too so that worked ok.
Then was able to fit my run in this morning so it all worked out. I'm trying not to get rigid around goals, but I do have it in mind that I would like to aim for 3 runs a week. I like the pattern I have set and don't want to fall out of that good habit. And now that we finally are getting the cooler weather I really should take advantage!
Got a bit done in the garden this morning as well.

LaMaria

I wish housework ( and cooking too actually) could feel more like gardening to me, where I am excited about getting to it and can just get absorbed in such a delightful way.
Housework is just so repetitive. There's a lot of repetitive stuff in gardening as well but it's all alive so it doesn't get as same-y.

Marsia

I agree about housework vs gardening. If housework were in a house where you could flip up the roof and be in fresh air and sunshine, that would help a lot.

ACT is good because you do like in cognitive behavioral therapy and replace old behaviors with healthier ones that fulfill the same goals you were trying unhealthily to fulfill (like eating for entertainment can be replaced with reading your favorite genre of books while sipping tea.). It also brings in values clarification, which I like because it focuses you on what you would like to be doing with your life - how you would like to be spending your time instead of fighting frustrating old habits. So it gets you channeling your energy into life affirming things that you look forward to.

Happy gardening. Are you getting in any winter crops now?

liza

Your day sounds pretty good, Liza. ACT does sound interesting. I must check it out xo
Yesterday ended up to be just a great day all round. My energy was good for the afternoon and evening so got all the cleaning up done. And got my piano practice in. Then went to bed early with a lovely guided meditation and slept beautifully. So nice to wake to a clean apartment :)
There's a lot of repetitive stuff in gardening as well but it's all alive so it doesn't get as same-y.
So true--and with gardening, there is a real creative element always involved, along with being able to meet a new bug or a new plant or whatever :)
Happy gardening. Are you getting in any winter crops now?
I haven't sowed any winter crops yet. I will wait for the rains to begin in earnest. I will keep my chard and kale in place through the winter too so they will be good for quite a while and should be good in the spring too. But I will interplant some soil feeding crops--probably the winter peas I did last year. I would like to get in a manure or something to feed everything too but not sure if I'll be able to get that going...

how you would like to be spending your time instead of fighting frustrating old habits. So it gets you channeling your energy into life affirming things that you look forward to.
Yes definitely an important aspect of CBT. My current books do cover that sort of thing as the motivation end to keep at the work. Important to know one is moving toward something positive, rather than just trying to move away from the negative.

Hoping to go shopping today and hoping to stock up on gluten free stuff to get ready for gluten-free experiment. i have a couple of wheat-y things I want to finish up before I begin so as not to waste them, but then will begin.

Cate

Support crew
Yesterday ended up to be just a great day all round. My energy was good for the afternoon and evening so got all the cleaning up done. And got my piano practice in. Then went to bed early with a lovely guided meditation and slept beautifully. So nice to wake to a clean apartment :)
Lovely :grouphug:
I am always interested to read any CBT books that others find useful. Can you recommend any?

Marsia

I love waking up to a clean house, and the guided meditation, piano, and nice sleep sound nice and fulfilling. It's really nice to live vicariously through you reading about your gardening. I hope I'll have time to get soil in my new big cloth raised beds at our new place. I may buy some 6 packs of chard and start some kale from seeds I gathered from my garden. Can you eat winter peas, or do you just plow them under in the spring? I haven't heard of them.

Good luck with the gluten free stuff. I researched what tastes good of store bought breads and pastas and things before going to the store. Gluten free can be really bad when it's bad. I like that some of the gluten free flours are more nutritious and tasty than the wheat flour. I like the taste of millet flour in baked goods a lot.

liza

Only just noticed: congratulations on page 100! You sound content and focused :grouphug:
:) Thanks LaMa! I think I am feeling more settled into myself this last week

I am always interested to read any CBT books that others find useful. Can you recommend any?
I don't have any in particular I would recommend Cate. I really like the workbooks and find that there seem to be lots out there where it will address particular issues one is struggling with. So I would just say good to get one specific to your issues. The workbooks are great for me as I really like working through worksheets rather than just reading about the ideas.

Can you eat winter peas, or do you just plow them under in the spring? I haven't heard of them.
Yes, the winter peas are just a cover crop to add nitrogen to the soil. I used them last year and still have seed left. I think mine were called winter field peas. I'm trying to do a lot of easy feeds for the garden rather than buying manures and stuff. I think the use of comfrey tea for the garden actually did a lot more good than the cover crops, but will do a mix of everything. I've actually added a bigger area for the comfrey to grow to use that more abundantly in the garden.

ood luck with the gluten free stuff. I researched what tastes good of store bought breads and pastas and things before going to the store. Gluten free can be really bad when it's bad. I like that some of the gluten free flours are more nutritious and tasty than the wheat flour. I like the taste of millet flour in baked goods a lot.
Thanks for the tips on going gluten free! I did do a big shop yesterday and stocked up on lots of stuff. I'm hoping to not rely too much on flours, but have been considering using some for pancakes or something. I also bought some rice crackers for an easy snack. I don't eat bread so don't have to worry about finding a replacement for that. Hoping to mostly just stick to rice and quinoa for carbs, and the rest probably won't need to change much in my diet.

I wish I didn't have so much wheat flour left to get through before I begin...I feel ready to start now but don't want to see the flour go to waste...

LaMaria

You know you´ll have to try eating wheat again after being off it for a while to figure out if it really makes a difference, right? nothing wrong with using up your flour then if you pack it away nice and dry in the meantime.

Marsia

Thanks for explaining winter peas and comfrey tea. I tried seaweed tea and the plants really seemed to like that. When I move I plan to make a nice comfrey patch. I was just going to chop and drop the leaves, but I think I'll try the tea and see how that goes.

I like gluten free pancakes with a lot of eggs in them. Otherwise they tend to be fattening because they need a binder, and that is often tapioca flour. I also bend up gluten free oats in the blender for oat flour pancakes. Those are really good! And almond flour pancakes are nice, too. Have fun with the gluten free stuff. I hope you like it!

liza

Tried to post here this morning but my computer froze...will try again!
Good day yesterday--really nice run and good energy through the day with good healthy meals :) Yay! ...(ok well i did have my fair share of sweets too, but I don't think I overdid it.)

You know you´ll have to try eating wheat again after being off it for a while to figure out if it really makes a difference, right? nothing wrong with using up your flour then if you pack it away nice and dry in the meantime.
That's a good point LaMa. I don't want a whole lot of wheat stuff waiting around for me due to space reasons--(both physical and pyschic)-- I like having things cleared out...However, it might be a good idea to save some flour for post gluten-free. Maybe just save about half of what I have now. I'm trying to eat all the wheat I can in the next few days to a week to try and get rid of as much as i can. It does seem a little counter-intuitve since I do suspect I might be sensitive to it, but whatever, hard to get it right and surely an extra week or so of gluten shouldn't hurt when I've been having it daily for the past however many years!

I just remembered that the counsellor I saw recommended a book & wrote it down on her card. Now, to find that card....
Ah yes I have encountered just such predicaments myself...or finding a card with a book recommendation (or a phone number or someone's name or some other type note) and trying to remember what that was for in the first place!

Thanks for explaining winter peas and comfrey tea. I tried seaweed tea and the plants really seemed to like that. When I move I plan to make a nice comfrey patch. I was just going to chop and drop the leaves, but I think I'll try the tea and see how that goes.
yes i like the chop and drop approach as well, but I did find the fertilizer tea sort of stretched the leaves further for what they could offer the garden. I do hope to have such an abundance of comfrey soon enough that I can do a good amount of both fertilizer teas and chop and drop :) But yes I've heard great things about seaweed for the garden--never tried it myself--will be interesting to see how your comfrey compares.

toodamtall

Floating through here a bit. Looking at some of the information along the way. Funny thing, I was for years resistant to an assortment of therapies. In my own mind everyone else was always the problem, lol.

In the process of having to truly reach deep into my issues in order to cope with the damage done to both myself and the people around me in my alcoholism I ended up doing a lot of grounding exercises, meditation, CBT. I just looked up ACT after the references above and kind of started chuckling. As a regular of AA and someone who has read the main book (we call it the Big Book), I realized that ACT is actually pretty well described throughout. Funny, I've been doing it for a while now!