Liza's diary

liza

Hi There, New to the forum and it seemed best to start here from what I read...I've copied the questions from the intro post and answered them. So begins another attempt of mine to lose weight...

How much weight do you want to lose?
20 pounds (current weight 151 pounds, height 5"3)

-- What is the timeframe for reaching your target weight?

1 year

-- How do you want to accomplish your goal (what methods do you want to use)?

calorie reduction/exercise (or whatever method someone might suggest is better!)

-- Who or what can support you in reaching your goal?

Not sure. I've been trying to lose weight for a year or more and all I've done is gained. I'm hoping that joining this forum might give me some extra support and motivation that I need.

-- How realistic is your goal?

It seems very realistic to me except that all my attempts at weight loss in the past has failed so feeling discouraged about how realistic weight loss is for me in general.

-- When will you start?
Today

liza

Some additional questions answered
  • Why do you want to lose weight?--because I seem to be gaining so much lately and I don't want it to get out of hand.
  • What obstacles could get between you and your weight loss goals?--My love of sweets. Also I have an anxiety disorder and I find I eat for comfort. Also stress triggers my anxiety so when i stress my body through calorie reduction or intense exercise, the anxiety tends to get out of hand.
  • Why do you think that you now have a weight problem? My metabolism seemed to change in the last few years. maybe partly age, partly anti-anxiety meds?
  • What lifestyle changes do you think would help you lose weight? I think I would do best with lighter changes in my lifestyle. More walking, gentle exercise, fewer calories but not complete abstention from sugar. I do wonder about giving up gluten...
  • Have you lost weight in the past? No
  • Would you try writing down all food and drink consumed for a given period of time? Can do--Have done that in the past and it didn't seem to help, but will try again.
  • Do you cook at home often? If so, what do you cook? Yes. Usually a starch (rice or pasta) with vegetable and a protein. I am vegetarian.
  • What are your two favorite foods? Lasagne and brownies--sums it all up I guess!
  • What are three things you can do differently when it comes to food? Eat more lower calorie stuff--fruit, salad, vegetable. Less dessert.
  • If you woke up tomorrow and your body was exactly the way you want it, what would be different? Flat stomach, stronger arms, less fat on legs
  • Do you eat when you are not hungry? Yes
  • Do you binge eat (large amounts at a time)? Yes
  • Do you hide your food or eat in secret? No
  • Do you eat when you are sad, nervous, or depressed? Yes
  • Do you eat while watching TV or using the computer? Yes
  • In terms of exercise, what, if anything, are you currently doing? Walk 20-40 minutes a day
  • What, if anything, are your three favorite types of exercise? Walking is favourite. Don't mind some weight training

LaMaria

Hi Liza and welcome! You goal sounds very doable to me but as you say: if you´re having time losing weight anyway it may not be quite as easy. I think writing down every bite you eat and sip you drink for a week or so to see where you´re starting from sounds like a great idea. I´m not going to suggest any anti-anxiety stuff because I´m sure you´re on top of all you can do on that front with your doctor/therapist but it´s definitely true that food and anxiety have a sometimes unhealthy relationship :confused:

Best of luck in your endeavors: I´m looking forward to watching your progress.

liza

Thanks :) Actually I think answering all those question was a good start for me. I realize one easy thing i could probably add right away is more walking. In the summer I do landscaping so get some natural exercise there that dies off for the winter months. So I will set as my goal to add 30 minutes to my usual walking every day. And I will post my calorie intake and exercise here every day. Thanks so much for your welcome and support!

LaMaria

Looks like you´ve already discovered one of the great things about these diaries then: just writing things out can often help spot things you wouldn´t normally think about. You´ll see we´re a friendly lot around here and everyone has their own approach to weightloss so browsing through other diaries may give you some more inspiration as well :)

alligatorob

Respected Member
Hey Liza, welcome to the forum!

I like the detailed honesty in your introductory posts, shows that you are focused, I am sure you will do well here. I have found posting my food daily to be a great help. I suggest you try it, for a while anyway.

landscaping
That can be great exercise. I spent the day today in the yard getting things ready for winter, raking leaves, cutting limbs, etc it was good hard work. But you are right, its a seasonal thing in most places anyway.

I look forward to reading about your progress.

overlandflyer

hi Liza... your ht/wt puts your BMI at just under 27... midpoint of the overweight range. good for you for taking action now. be aware that the closer you get to a stable healthy weight, the slower the lbs will come off and even now you're really only ~12lbs away from a healthy BMI. frankly i think your "one year" schedule is a bit pessimistic. then again, if i had to pick the hardest month to start a diet, hands down it would be December. ... good luck.

Cate

Support crew
Hi, Liza & welcome to the forum. I have regained weight in the last year & will join you in trying to lose about 20 lbs. I love walking too & will up my daily walking with you. Starting tomorrow I am going to start tracking what I eat on My Fitness Pal again. We can do this!

liza

Thanks all for the welcome and advice :) I've looked around at the site and am impressed with a lot of people's success--it's encouraging!
Still getting to know the site a bit and hopefully will gather some tips as I go. I don't know much about dieting, so am hoping to learn about good ways to get healthy!

I love walking too & will up my daily walking with you
Lovely--We can motivate each other!

I spent the day today in the yard getting things ready for winter, raking leaves, cutting limbs, etc it was good hard work
Yes I love that kind of work--good fresh air, nice exercise...I tend to hole up a little in winter so will have to watch that.

rankly i think your "one year" schedule is a bit pessimistic.
I hope you're right but so far weight just doesn't seem to come off for me at all so even if i could get there in a year I would be pleased!

I've recorded my calories today at 1276, though I'm not into measuring my food exactly so definitely could be off. Also walked for an hour. I have recorded my exact meals with measurements for myself but to give a general idea here:

Breakfast--2 pieces of toast with tahini and butter, yogurt and fruit, half an energy bar
Lunch--quinoa, stir-fry veggies with chickpeas, salad, yogurt and fruit
Snack--2 ginger cookies, coffee with cream, 2 tbsp of chocolate chips
Supper--veggie dog, 2 pieces of bread (with butter) and some more of the veggie stir fry

LaMaria

Looks like a pretty healthy and balanced day to me. If those were my portion sizes I´d be well over 1276 kcal but I´m going to guess you´re not as big an eater :p

aiminglow

Hi Liza - good to meet you! I'm another person who likeswalking for exercise - not my only exercise, but it's the kind I enjoy the most! :)

liza

Looks like a pretty healthy and balanced day to me. If those were my portion sizes I´d be well over 1276 kcal but I´m going to guess you´re not as big an eater :p
lol! yes normally my portion sizes would be much bigger than that too. I'm making a real effort to cut the portion sizes so that i can have as many meals/snack times as I'm used to without all the calories. I will try to be more exact with my measuring of food though as i know it's easy to fool myself!

liza

Hi Liza - good to meet you! I'm another person who likeswalking for exercise - not my only exercise, but it's the kind I enjoy the most! :)
Great--yes! I like walking for me as it also lowers my anxiety levels unlike some other higher intensity exercise that seems to make my anxiety levels worse. I am thinking i would also like to add a bit of strength training though, so may try to do that within the next few days.

LaMaria

lol! yes normally my portion sizes would be much bigger than that too. I'm making a real effort to cut the portion sizes so that i can have as many meals/snack times as I'm used to without all the calories. I will try to be more exact with my measuring of food though as i know it's easy to fool myself!
Very easy. I find tracking my food super-annoying but even in maintenance I realize I have to do it at least some of the time or I veer off course over time.

bensanon

Active member (Rob)
Hi liza, Welcome to the forum! I think your plans to increase your walking and introduce some strength training are great ideas and good first steps to make. I'd suggest you give yourself time to adjust as you go along, on the order of weeks, and introduce and make changes a little at a time. Avoid overwhelming yourself in the beginning and you'll be humming along soon.

liza

Hi liza, Welcome to the forum! I think your plans to increase your walking and introduce some strength training are great ideas and good first steps to make. I'd suggest you give yourself time to adjust as you go along, on the order of weeks, and introduce and make changes a little at a time. Avoid overwhelming yourself in the beginning and you'll be humming along soon.
Thanks! Yes I was thinking maybe I'm trying to do too much too fast as I was already feeling a little overwhelmed. I don't want weight loss to be my main focus in life and be thinking about it all the time. Maybe will try just calorie reduction and more walking for now and let myself get used to that first. Just read a bit through your diary--you've had really great success--what an inspiration!

liza

Today's calories 1444--and this time I measured properly :)
Walked for 90 minutes.
Breakfast--tahini on toast, half an apple
Lunch-chickpea/quinoa salad with pizza
snack--cupcake with frosting
supper-- veggie tomato soup
snack-- half energy bar

Still trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating to lose weight. I think I will aim for 1330 on average for this week and see how that goes. According to on-line calculator I would be eating 1674 calories to maintain current weight.

LaMaria

Is it possible those 1674 cal might be your basic metabolic rate, or the amount you'd burn just to keep your body going even if you slept all day? Otherwise it sounds a little low. You'll find out soon enough though. Food sounds delicious again, though breakfast and dinner seem low in protein.

liza

Is it possible those 1674 cal might be your basic metabolic rate, or the amount you'd burn just to keep your body going even if you slept all day? Otherwise it sounds a little low. You'll find out soon enough though. Food sounds delicious again, though breakfast and dinner seem low in protein.
The calculator has my basic metabolic rate at 1308. A different calculator i used said to maintain would be 1570, slight weight loss at 1320.
It depends on how active one is, but i put myself at sedentary for now. So i guess we'll see if I lose at my 1330 goal...
I did have chickpeas in my vegetable soup so not so low in protein. I'm logging my food into an app that calculates protein and my total for the day was 47.6 grams which was over the recommended amt for me on that site.
I found myself tired last night and hungry going to bed. Wondered if I would sleep ok as i hate going to bed hungry but slept fine and very ready for breakfast!
Trying to start the morning with lemon juice in water before i eat. Also trying to increase amt of water throughout day along with green tea.