Liza

:) I like that you thought of us and still had it anyhow--I hope you raised your glass to us! too bad you didn't enjoy it though...but I guess that might help not having one in the future.
I think I didn't enjoy it because I had it for the wrong reasons. I can be very stubborn & resist even my own rules. I like that most of us are trying to find moderation & balance, rather than restricting severely & that we focus on nutrition & good health.
Once again, you had a lovely-sounding, well-balanced day, Liza :)

Spitting out that one mint might've made me question your relationship with food. So yay for stopping at one!
haha yeah--when I went to spit them out, I realized how dumb and weird that would be. i can be such a rule stickler much to my detriment.
Well done on the no sugar day Liza!
Thanks Emily! I made up for it yesterday though haha
I think I didn't enjoy it because I had it for the wrong reasons. I can be very stubborn & resist even my own rules. I like that most of us are trying to find moderation & balance, rather than restricting severely & that we focus on nutrition & good health.
Once again, you had a lovely-sounding, well-balanced day, Liza :)
Yes I realized I was a little tempted to go for the 'let's see now how long I can go without sugar' but then I realized that was the exact trap I didn't want to fall into. I've done the 'no sugar' thing many times and then i just go back on it and am no better at moderating amounts. So now I just want to enjoy it and not over-do it.

Yesterday was pretty good. I decided to skip the run and did a bunch of garden clean up in the morning. I cleared out an area that will allow for better storage of our bikes and garden tools. It looks really nice. The work was nice as it was all in the shade. Whenever I would step out of the shade into the sun, I was shocked by the heat. Really not as bad as what many have been dealing with but hotter than what I'm used to lately. It's also pretty muggy so I'm sweating easily.

Food-wise did fairly well all day. Enjoyed some treats with my afternoon tea...but interestingly my anxiety spiked soon after that. I was wondering what role the sugar played. Maybe none though. By afternoon the heat was obviously getting worse, I was tired...so that all plays in. When i got home in the evening, I did a bit more garden cleanup, ate a good healthy meal, skipped the drink I planned when my anxiety spiked, but did snack on a few of those jelly beans...

I was quite depressed in my dreams and the depression stayed with me into waking. It's feeling a little better now that I've begun the day.

I didn't track calories yesterday, but some estimates below for movement and sugar
garden--3 hours
walk/bike-30
sugar--667--so yeah made up for sugar free day! haha

Super humid here as well but otherwise ok as long as I can stay out of the direct sun.
Kudos to you for realizing that too much restriction only leads to extremes in the other direction. If only moderation wasn't so hard though!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's done the 'no sugar' thing many times but always gone back to it. I'm sure this is actually the norm. One system that worked for me was to say I could eat anything I wanted, as long as it was in context of a proper meal (not a snack) and that the first thing could not be sugar. I could have dessert if I wanted it. Most of the time I didn't want it. My big problem is eating ONLY sugary things. It's like I'm still rebelling against my mother: "I'm an adult now! You can't tell me I can't eat a chocolate bar for a meal!".

I think it's really good to play with things like how much sugar is too much and how much of a lack makes you eat it all back the next day. I like how you experiment. Glad you are finding good things to do in the shade, too!

Your garden clean-up sounds great! Well done finding something so positive to do despite the heat. You have inspired me to get stuck into something productive today, despite the rain. Thanks, Liza.

Super humid here as well but otherwise ok as long as I can stay out of the direct sun.
Kudos to you for realizing that too much restriction only leads to extremes in the other direction. If only moderation wasn't so hard though!
yes moderation sooo tough!
It's like I'm still rebelling against my mother: "I'm an adult now! You can't tell me I can't eat a chocolate bar for a meal!".
haha yeah...maybe there is a bit of that in me too. I do try and eat healthy stuff before my sugar but as soon as I start the sugar there is no stopping it--that may be my rebellious side as now as an adult I'm 'allowed' to eat as much as I want! The kid in me says--'yeah go for it!" But also I'm wondering if part of it may be that I only eat sugar when I'm out so it's like I want to fit it all in while it's there...maybe I would do better if I had it at home too? That would be an interesting experiment...
Sorry to hear about the muggy dreams. My dreams can affect me sometimes too. Hope you got back into life as the day went on!
The day definitely got better...I wonder if being depressed in my dreams just helped process some of it...
I think it's really good to play with things like how much sugar is too much and how much of a lack makes you eat it all back the next day. I like how you experiment. Glad you are finding good things to do in the shade, too!
I'm blessed with my yard space being so nice and cool to work in. So much lovely shade areas!
Your garden clean-up sounds great! Well done finding something so positive to do despite the heat. You have inspired me to get stuck into something productive today, despite the rain. Thanks, Liza.
It's actually kind of good that I don't feel like running in this heat--I can see I've been neglecting the garden a little so it's good to have that motivation to stay close to home and get the shady work done!

Well yesterday I thought I was doing better as the day moved along. I got another good amount of gardening done, ate well, and then ate a reasonable amount of sugar in the afternoon...
But when I got home and logged my food, I saw that I was already over my goal and I hadn't eaten my supper yet...And then it just seemed I wanted to keep eating, and anxiety hit, and I ate some jelly beans, and then I opened a cider...I don't know...i didn't feel too bad but it was just that sort of evening.

So far this morning I am doing ok. I got some gardening done already. But anxiety's already going up--I think it might be the heat. I don't know...anyhow on with the day

Yesterday (i stopped counting when I kept eating in the evening as I didn't want to see how high the numbers were getting so I did my best to just add them on this morning)
Garden--3 hours maybe?
short bike ride
protein-82%
carbs-171%
sugar-582
calorie surplus-424

But when I got home and logged my food, I saw that I was already over my goal and I hadn't eaten my supper yet...And then it just seemed I wanted to keep eating, and anxiety hit, and I ate some jelly beans, and then I opened a cider...I don't know...i didn't feel too bad but it was just that sort of evening.
Oh, I know that one. First there's the disappointment and frustration of apparently not having done as well as I thought and then the feeling of "well I need to eat dinner regardless and if I'm going over my calories anyway I might as well make it count". Which is silly, but it's how my brain works.

Well yesterday I thought I was doing better as the day moved along. I got another good amount of gardening done, ate well, and then ate a reasonable amount of sugar in the afternoon...
I sure know that feeling, once the diet is blown why not go all the way... but its not right. If I am over before dinner I try hard to tell myself the best thing to do is to go ahead and eat a normal dinner, more important than meeting a calorie goal. Wish I could tell you it always works...
calorie surplus-424
That ain't terrible, at the 3,500 calorie per pound of fat rule of thumb its only a bit more than a tenth of a pound, noise level really.
yes moderation sooo tough!
Absolutely! When it comes to eating it is the hardest thing I can do... But it is important, and most days you are pretty good at it.

You did inspire me to get moving yesterday, thanks Liza & I'm glad I did as my anxiety for the rest of the day was through the roof. I actually had to do some deep breathing to stop my heart racing. Anxiety sucks!
Your yard sounds so lovely & a real oasis.

Oh, I know that one. First there's the disappointment and frustration of apparently not having done as well as I thought and then the feeling of "well I need to eat dinner regardless and if I'm going over my calories anyway I might as well make it count". Which is silly, but it's how my brain works.
Good to hear my brain is not the only illogical one!
I hope the day went better and the anxiety eased off again. It could be the weather for sure.
Yeah I think the heat really does me in...it's cooling off now so hopefully the anxiety will ease off a bit!
Absolutely! When it comes to eating it is the hardest thing I can do... But it is important, and most days you are pretty good at it.
Well at least I'm getting better with the healthy food--I can also really overdo that if I don't watch it...the sugar is just so hard with how it satisfies so much of what I am looking for...
You did inspire me to get moving yesterday, thanks Liza & I'm glad I did as my anxiety for the rest of the day was through the roof. I actually had to do some deep breathing to stop my heart racing. Anxiety sucks!
Your yard sounds so lovely & a real oasis.
I'm glad you were able to do productive things as well Cate. It really helps to do stuff while anxious instead of just sitting and fretting!

Yesterday was pretty good. Starting to cool off which is really nice. I could possibly go running this morning but so far it doesn't look like it. I've spent the first hours of the morning in the garden and got my essentrics done. (my back was starting to whimper yesterday--a good reminder to keep doing those essentrics!) So a good start.
I am already so tired though as I was awake way too early!

yesterday:
garden-2 hours
walk and bike--around 30 mins
protein-56%
carbs-113%
sugar-447
calorie deficit-330

Glad you have something so good for taking care of your back, especially after all the hours of gardening you've been putting in. Nice it got a bit cooler, too.

I've never heard of Essentrics before. Sounds good, and necessary (just looked it up).
Well done on doing the essentrics and looking after your back!
I am definitely going to check out essentrics. Yay for more gardening, Liza :)
The essentrics was really such a lucky find for me. I don't know what it is, but just the specific movements seem to be exactly what my back needed...the video I follow is one that is for connective tissue for the whole body, so not just the back which is probably good considering that i had that plantar fasccitis a while back as well...
Wish it was here, the official temperature right now is 104 F (~40 C). Its probably a degree or two cooler here at my house, but not much...
I used to live in place with such hot summers. I really feel for you. i am so glad that where I am now the summers are generally quite pleasant with just a heat wave thrown in here and there.
Glad you have something so good for taking care of your back, especially after all the hours of gardening you've been putting in. Nice it got a bit cooler, too.
Yes I think that gardening did my back in a bit. It's been so lovely getting in there but definitely a bit of a strain on the back at times.

A good day yesterday. i wasn't sure about getting out on that run as I wasn't sure if I really had the time as I needed to get an earlier start to my afternoon...but I fit it in and it felt soooo good to be out there again. First 10 minutes were a challenge but after that I got into the lovely rhythm and flow of it. It was definitely a sweaty run but not too hot at all. Great to be out on the trails especially.

I ran into my friend who just got her bike a while back. She hasn't been out on the bike since she first got it as things have been busy but she is hoping to get out soon and I really hope we can go together on some little rides. I have a mini bike ride planned with another friend for Saturday. So far I still don't have anyone to do hilly/more intense rides with, but these little rides with friends should be fun :)

I've been really enjoying the short little rides around town that I normally would just walk. Biking them is just so pleasant. It's way cooler and way faster and it's just fun.

Ate well yesterday for the most part. Forgot to fill in cronometer so tried my best to do it this morning.

walk-run : 1-20, 1-15, 1-10 (total run time 45 min)
extra walk and bike time-50 min
essentrics-30 min
protein-65%
carbs-125%
sugar cals-472
calorie deficit-280

Sounds like Claire was a great investment! I love reading how much you're enjoying your regular exercise.

Back