Kata as interval training

I use kata between sets of weightlifting as interval training. I am wondering if anyone else does this and what your results might be. Also, if anyone has seen any research on this please let me know. Looking forward to some feedback.

It's an interesting idea, but these are two things that I think could be issues:

1. If you're tired from your previous set, that could affect your form during the kata, so it's possible you could develop some bad habits.
2. I suppose it depends on what style of kata you are doing, but if you're doing intense katas then you're probably not really resting between weightlifting sets? ... Unless I misunderstood what you're doing?

Btw, have you ever tried using just katas for endurance training? Doing multiple intense katas in a row without rest is a killer :), we used to do that sometimes back when I did karate.

Good reply, thanks. Yeah kata for endurance is good too. Take very little rest between. We would sometimes do 5 different kata in a row for endurance and also for focus and concentration because as you get tired, form and even well learned sequence gets really hard. Great endurance.

But for interval training, I'll do a lifting set, immediately do a kata, another set,etc for 15 minutes. You are correct in that this is not a good way to practice kata per se, but seems to be a great way to do intervals. Also, as with any interval training, the amount of weight used is a little less.
I train karate solo now so this also a way to not forget these forms I spent years learning. When I want to tune up my kata, I just take a day away from the weights and focus kata. I may also use free style nunchucks or Bo staff as interval training.
A slightly less intense way to do this is to do three sets of say military press dumbs with minimal rest and then a kata before changing to another excercise like curls or pull downs. This way the amount of weight you can use is more in the body building range.

I see what you mean - I guess it's a preference thing. I personally like doing one thing at a time (so I can focus on each), but if that works then yeah go ahead. This is kind of unrelated, but I think it's good to see someone who still does stuff like katas regularly. People often don't see it, but drilling that stuff over and over develops amazing skill and body awareness, that can be applied to anything - For example, I currently train at an MMA gym now (no longer do karate), but my ability to learn and master things taught for MMA can be credited to the awareness I gained from drilling katas and basics, even if the movements are different it still helped a lot.

Back to the original topic though: Only issue is that you probably won't progress as fast with lifting compared to if you really focused on adding weight each time and progressing, but idk what your goals are so that might not be an issue for you.

Not sure how I feel about it.

I'm a boxer and I shadowbox a lot - often as a form of "interval training." But shadowboxing isn't just a static exercise; it can be done as an explosive punch-out, or a lighter, technical practice, more like the "katas" I've seen. My problem with your idea is that it seems to accomplish neither goal effectively; that is, explosive, high-speed katas mean your form goes out the window, or your intensity does.

Back