Is the calorie counter on treadmill accurate?

How is everyone doing? I have a question about the calorie counter on treadmill machines. Are they accurate? Does an overweight person burn more calories than someone with normal weight for the same intensity and duration?

Thank you,
Malay

Those calorie counters are just estimates. The number of calories you burn is dependent on your body weight, fitness level, what percentage of your maximum effort you are exerting yourself at, ...

Remember, the real benefit of exercise is not how many calories you burn while doing it, but how long after you stop your exercise session that your body continues to burn an elevated number of calories, a proper exercise session may increase your metabolism for many hours or even days afterwards.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your point. However, how one's metabolism gets activated and for how long after the exercise, can't be measured. I mean, for someone like me, whose goal is weight-loss (loosing fat) and building moderate muscles, the only way to measure if I am on track is to see if I am actually loosing weight. I will have to create calorie deficit for that and that's why I was depending on that counter. I will just have to wait and see if it works. Actually, there is just so much information out there and so many contradicting views that for a person who is not getting the desired results (even after following some method), it becomes very confusing and frustrating.

I hear what you are saying about frustrating. Unfortunately, everyone's body is different and responds differently to similar programs. Your body may even change over time and respond differently to the saem program today then it did last year. All you can do is try different things until you find what works for you...of course, you should only try things that a little research and common sense tells you are reasonable, there are a lot of crazy people advocating all kinds of crazy things (especially now that the internet makes it easy for almost anyone to easily publish whatever they want without any restrictions!).

The only time 'calorie counter on treadmill' and the word 'accurate' should be used in the same sentance is when you are saying...

'I set fire to my treadmill and launched it off a bridge to make the calorie counter more accurate'

Back