HYPERTROPHY (What's your take?)

I personally swear by it now! It has helped my jack up my metabolism back to the point of how it was when I was a teenager...I'm always hungry, like every hour or two!

Hypertrophy is the only weight training that I have done that has helped me accomplish that lean and cut look I've been wanting, including 2 more specific things I have never be able to achieve before:
(1.) More of a wing-shaped back/torso
(2.) More of a peak look on my biceps (see my avatar)

So what do you all think of HYPERTROPHY weight training?
What are your experiences with it?

Jason Salamone

Last edited:
by hypertrophy to you mean, lifting heavy all the time?

i am big on heavy, 75-80 % of max for a few reps.

but I do like to throw down a fast high rep here and there.

with bench as an example.

i will start at like
185 and get 5-8 reps
195 5-8
205 5-8
225 2-3
then max is on
maybe a 240 1 rep
then a 250 1 rep

260 is my 1 rep max.

BUT again-- i also enjoy doing a fast, hyper fast, set of 20 reps at 135. - it just feels good

but I am not real saavy with the word hypertrophy-- explain it please.

sweat daily
FF

and welcome to the site

Last edited:
FF,

Hypertrophy is simply the increase size in an organs cells.

So in this case muscle hypertrophy is basically increased muscle size.

FF,

Hypertrophy is simply the increase size in an organs cells.

So in this case muscle hypertrophy is basically increased muscle size.

really? lol

well then salamone my answer is um yeah- i am all for increasing muscle size.

why does that feel like a dumb question?

duh!

no actually i like my muscles to shrink... :confused4:

really? lol

well then salamone my answer is um yeah- i am all for increasing muscle size.

why does that feel like a dumb question?

duh!

no actually i like my muscles to shrink... :confused4:

I was mainly asking the people who have done it, and what their experiences (good or bad) with it were.
I freaking love it, but it may not be for everybody.

It's always good to shock your muscles with changing up your reps and weight.
I have increased muscle mass with hypertrophy. I have been getting lean and cut NOT bulky, because I'm eating the right things.

What has worked for me, and again it's good to change it up every so often, but any upper body muscle group I work out, I make sure I chose a weight that causes me to fail between the 7th and 10th rep with each set. With legs, it's between 12 and 15 reps.

I choose 4 or 5 different weight training routines to attack one muscle group in order to attack it in 4-5 different ways/angles.
Depending on what it is, I will do anywhere between 2-3 sets of each. I typically do more when it comes to my hams and quads, because those are the most important muscles with regards to weight loss. For example, there are some days (maybe once or twice a month) where I will do 6 sets of seated leg curls. Yeah, legs are most important. Wednesdays are legs and lower back day for me, and therefore is my longest/most brutal day in the gym.

See also my other thread...

http://training.fitness.com/current...ends/current-trends/weight-t...tml#post382053

Jason Salamone

Last edited:
I don't quite get what your saying, is HYPERTROPHY some programme you've been doing? Or is it what you've been training for?

I don't quite get what your saying, is HYPERTROPHY some programme you've been doing? Or is it what you've been training for?

It's a weight training program that focuses on strategic deconditioning, rather than mechanical overload.

The following is from another site, because it explains strategic deconditioning extremely well....

Strategic Deconditioning (SD): As you steadily increase the mechanical load on your muscles, you will eventually reach a point where you cannot add any more weight. At this point, you will have reached your maximum lifts. Because of this, there is a natural limit to the length of time during which you can increase the mechanical loading on your muscles. And to confound things even more, you will eventually become conditioned to these maximal weights, meaning, they will lose their effect on your muscle growth mechanisms. When that happens, any further progress will be phenomenally difficult at best. So, we can either beat ourselves to a pulp lifting heavy weights day-in and day-out, hoping for some sort of progress, or we can find a way to make renewed progression possible. With HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) this is where Strategic Deconditioning (SD) comes into play. Strategic Deconditioning comprises between 9 to 16 days of no lifting to allow the muscles to become deconditioned to the heavy weights you've been lifting for the previous 6 to 8 weeks. After about 7 days of SD, your muscles will be essentially completely repaired from the damage you've inflicted on them up until your final workout. From about the 7th day onward, your muscles will then become unaccustomed to these weights. Therefore, if you do a good job of not doing anything at all, when you return to the weights between 9 to 16 days later, progression of those submaximal weights will produce further growth all over again, so you'll avoid the plateau that would have otherwise been inevitable.

Edit: With doing one muscle group each day, you give that muscle group a whole 7 days to recoup, rebuild, and become deconditioned.
Please keep mind that deconditioned does not mean that the muscle group becomes weaker or begins to deplete. It grows or rebuilds to a point, gets it's rest long just long enough (7 days) to always be shocked again into further growth each time you work it.

Jason Salamone

Last edited:
so you're asking what we think about strategic deconditioning?

I've never heard of it, or seen any research, so this is just what I think:
It sounds counterproductive. When you reach a plateau, instead of going inactive you should just change up your workout to blast past it.

so you're asking what we think about strategic deconditioning?

I've never heard of it, or seen any research, so this is just what I think:
It sounds counterproductive. When you reach a plateau, instead of going inactive you should just change up your workout to blast past it.

You don't completely disregard mechanical overloading, because you can do that within your sets in order to to mix it up and shock your muscles into growth even more. But to your point, that is also why you work one muscle group per day, so you can blast through it and keep going.
By working one muscle group each day and giving yourself 7 days before you work that same muscle group again, you are always going to shock it into growing further or more than what you did the previous week.

Jason Salamone

Last edited:
the method says you train until you hit a plateau, then you don't use the muscle for 9-16 days before you start training it again. Instead of waiting for 9-16 days, you could change your routine, use a different exercise for a while, or something like that.

training a muscle once a week is a whole other discussion..

training a muscle once a week is a whole other discussion..

let's have that discussion

thoughts on hitting a muscle once verses twice, or even three times a week?

why not damage the damaged muscle? say bench heavy 3 days in a row, then take 4 off.

i can't believe i am participating in this discussion, it's just not like me.

you should make a new thread if you want that discussion, so we don't drive this one off topic (whatever that topic may be)

topic?....lol

LOL ... There seems to be severe confusion in this topic because the title is "Hypertrophy" but the OP then moves on to HST/SD(strategic deconditioning). I'm not a proponent of confusionism so I'll leave HST/SD matters alone, though HST/SD geeks may find proponents of it at the HST forums.

Deleted some nonsense posts. Keep that stuff to the BS thread.

I the OP meant strategic deconditioning as the topic.

Back