HIIT and SS Cardio

Hello everyone,

I do not know if this has been addressed already but I just wanted to know if it's wise to combine both SS cardio and HIIT into the same workout routine while cutting. I'm a 19yr old male, currently 195lbs. So far I've been doing 30mins of steady state cardio 5 times a week maintaining my HR at about 70-75% throughout the workout, but I'm getting barely any results. I also do weight training; concentrating on hypertrophy. I'm eating healthy as far as I know (starchy and fibrous carbs, natural lean proteins, healthy fats, and only 2 cheat meals in during the weekend) I'm consuming a total of 2600 cals a day since I'm aiming for fat loss and my total daily expenditure is around 3100. Like I said before I just wanted to know if it's wise to combine HIIT and SS, to do HIIT alone, or even just increase the time spent doing SS cardio.

Thanks in advanced.

When HIIT is done correctly, you should be wiped out with nothing left for SS cardio. If you have the energy for SS cardio after HIIT then you are not doing it correctly. HIIT is very stressful so it should only be done a few times a week and never with other cardio.

When HIIT is done correctly, you should be wiped out with nothing left for SS cardio. If you have the energy for SS cardio after HIIT then you are not doing it correctly. HIIT is very stressful so it should only be done a few times a week and never with other cardio.

Horse ****. The only time you won't be able to do anything after HIIT is when you're very deconditioned, and/or you haven't eaten properly before training (and seriously, don't ever do HIIT on an empty stomach, unless you like being unconscious). A typical HIIT session lasts about 20min, and in that time only contains about 5min work, give or take. If you can do heavy squats and still be able to continue training afterwards, you can do HIIT and still be able to continue training afterwards.

Anyway, OP, I seem to recall reading in one of the NROL books that a good way to go is to do 20ish min of HIIT, then rest for 5min, then do another 20ish min of SS cardio. Apparently in the 5min rest after HIIT, a lot of triglycerides get released into the blood, which you can then use efficiently for aerobic energy during the SS cardio phase. Don't know if this is backed by the scientific evidence, but either way it sounds like the sort of protocol that would be the most manageable way to put HIIT and SS into the same session.

Last edited:
I stretch before on lift days and cardio after. Im trying to gain and not too worried about abs so cardio is at a minimum for me. Stretching I never skip.

Back