Hello Everyone

WilliamT7422

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member to these forums and found them while looking for information about fitness and exercise machines.

I live near Chattanooga, Tennessee in the southeastern United States. This is a great place for outdoor activities and recreation.

I am trying to live a healthier life that includes weight loss and more mindful self-care.

Thank you,
-William

Hi William and welcome to the forum :) Mindful self-care sounds like a great goal and living in an area that has a lot of outdoor options would be a big bonus! What's your current plan for change?

Hi William and welcome to the forum :) Mindful self-care sounds like a great goal and living in an area that has a lot of outdoor options would be a big bonus! What's your current plan for change?
Hello Llama,

I've been working with a program called Omada. Initially, I felt let down by the program because I wanted to see a radical change. I've been dissatisfied with my weight for a long time. The emphasis of Omada is making small changes that add up. One thing I now do that I would never have thought of on my own was slowing down and giving more thought to what I was eating during meal time. I now put the fork down at just about every bite and give myself a chance to really chew and savor the flavors of whatever I'm eating. This slows me down and I end up feeling full faster in part because I'm trying to listen to those hunger and fullness cues. I used to be the person who would quickly shovel down a salad and then gobble up a steak and potato or something like that. By the end of the meal, I would be stuffed to the gills, somewhat uncomfortable, sluggish feeling, and likely trying to cover up that I was breaking wind tremendously lol. I had a meal similar to that not too long ago, and took over half of the steak home. I ate the entire salad and sweet potato, and felt satisfied. No sluggish, sickly feelings. The leftover steak went well with scrambled eggs for breakfast the next morning.

Things like that along with increasing activity levels will add up. I'm also trying to keep my carbohydrate count below 50g per day. It's working. Maybe not fast, but change is happening, and I'm hoping it will be healthy and sustainable.

-William

Slow, sustainable changes are definitely your best option. Things you can't see yourself doing for the rest of your life are just going to lead to weight regain. Sounds like you're on a great track!

Welcome William!

One thing I now do that I would never have thought of on my own was slowing down and giving more thought to what I was eating during meal time. I now put the fork down at just about every bite and give myself a chance to really chew and savor the flavors of whatever I'm eating. This slows me down and I end up feeling full faster in part because I'm trying to listen to those hunger and fullness cues.
Good for you! That is a great habit to develop. I am not real good at it, but try when I think about it. Wish it was just a habit, but not yet for me.
Maybe not fast, but change is happening, and I'm hoping it will be healthy and sustainable.
Slow change is usually both more healthy and more sustainable.

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress!

Hi, William & welcome to the forum. I'm in Tasmania, Australia & it's now 8.15 on Friday morning & was sound asleep when you joined up. It's great to see that my forum friends have already welcomed you. Slow, sustainable changes are the best. I lost a lot of weight very quickly years & years ago & have really struggled to keep them off since. I think it stuffed my metabolism. I'm sure that if I had lost them slowly it wouldn't be the battle it is. Eating slowly & mindfully really makes a big difference. I used to wolf my food down too. How much weight do you think you need to lose?

Hi, William & welcome to the forum. I'm in Tasmania, Australia & it's now 8.15 on Friday morning & was sound asleep when you joined up. It's great to see that my forum friends have already welcomed you. Slow, sustainable changes are the best. I lost a lot of weight very quickly years & years ago & have really struggled to keep them off since. I think it stuffed my metabolism. I'm sure that if I had lost them slowly it wouldn't be the battle it is. Eating slowly & mindfully really makes a big difference. I used to wolf my food down too. How much weight do you think you need to lose?
Hello Cate,

I also lost a great deal of weight quickly several years ago, and gained it back over time. I'm not as heavy as I've ever been. That was back around 2010 or 2011. I was a good 20 or 30lbs heavier then. I probably need to lose between 40 and 50lbs. I *almost* don't look overweight, but there's no denying that I am.

-William

Hello! New here as well. I hope to learn more and provide some help too, of course.

Back