General Training Tips For Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.
First things first, yes, as teens your bodies are different from adults. But the difference isn't huge, so it's not as though a 15-year-old training has to have some obscure, crazy program.

A couple of the major concerns people have regarding teens and training are injuries and stunting of growth.

Here's the deal: IF you train with good form, pushing progression but at an appropriate pace, leaving a little bit left over at the end of each set (eg ending a set 1-2 reps before you might fail), have supervision from someone who knows how to lift properly to ensure you are training safely, you eat properly and you sleep properly, the risk of injury or stunting your growth is very low.

If, however, you have a crappy, unbalanced program that focuses on your mirror muscles, you train with substandard technique, you push yourself to failure (and then some), don't have supervision from someone who knows what they're doing, have a piss poor diet and don't sleep properly, you can almost count on ending up short and injured.

Good technique is too much to cover in this post alone. I highly recommend anyone wanting to train read the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, even if you never do the program itself. It will teach you how to squat, bench, press, and pull safely and efficiently. If your older brother or dad teaches you things about training that drastically contradict this book, then you're probably being raised by a fully qualified bro scientist (AKA someone who knows next to nothing useful about training; is probably educated via fitness magazines). There is also an importance to technique in cardio and in any sport you play. If you play a sport, your coach has probably nailed down technique for your sports skills with you already. With cardio, I can't think of any good written resources for good technique, but I assure the flailing about that 99% of people do on treadmills or along the side of the road ain't it. Watch an Olympic sprinter in action for a better idea of good movement patterns. (Also, please note that running is not the only form of cardio, nor is it necessary to have good cardiovascular fitness).

Your exercise program, from a strength point of view, should contain deep knee bends (squatting), lifting weights above the head (eg bench press, overhead press), picking weights up off the floor (eg deadlifts, rows), and bodyweight exercises (eg dips, pull ups). Your exercise program should also emphasise the back half of the body at least as much as the front.

Most of you probably have body composition goals. You want to build muscle, or you want to lose fat, or both. Strength is the bottom line for all these goals. Strength stimulates muscle growth if you eat for it. Strength also maintains fat-free mass when eating for fat loss.

You need to eat. Yes, YOU. The western world's gotten very paranoid about food lately, to the point that a lot of people (and I would say this is especially true for teenagers) feel guilty about eating. This mentality has to stop. Now. Obviously the following advice won't apply fully to vegetarians or vegans (who need nutritional advice from someone more qualified than myself), but you should be eating meat, eggs, fruit, lots of vegetables, and grains. You should also be drinking milk and fresh juice. If you need to decrease bodyfat, eat less grains and drink less milk. If you need to build muscle mass, eat more grains and drink more milk. Avoid artificial sweetners and preservatives (that means pretty much anything with "diet" on the label, longlife juice, and 99% of fitness nutritional supplements (yes, seriously)).

As growth is an issue, if you're under 18, I recommend against aiming to lose more than 1lb/month - which you won't even be able to measure on a scale for several months, as your scale weight will fluctuate by 5lb easily every day due to water weight, food in the stomach, etc. So don't even worry about losing weight. Just eat healthy foods like the ones I mentioned above. Also, if you don't NEED to lose weight to be in a healthy weight range (or more importantly, to have a healthy bodyfat%), I advise against even thinking about having weight loss as a goal until you know you won't be growing any taller.

Normal recommendations for weight gain, maintenance or loss are as follows:
- 500kcal/day = 1lb/week.
- Therefore to gain 1lb/week, consume 500kcal above maintenance, and to lose 1lb/week, consume 500kcal below maintenance. As I said above, if weight loss is the goal, do it slower than that. You can probably eat the same number of calories, just do half an hour of strength training 3 days/week, and eat healthy foods, and you'll be right.

Don't max out. When you train, as I said earlier, always leave some gas in the tank. You shouldn't know what your maximum weights are for certain rep ranges on exercises. Just work up to a weight that's challenging but not impossible, while focusing on good form. Then add an extra rep or a little more weight next time.

Finally kids, get to bed and go to sleep. Typically you'll need 8hrs/night. What time do you have to get out of bed in the morning so that you can be READY for school by the time you walk out the door at 8:30? For 9/10 kids, that's about an hour earlier than they actually are waking up. You should have plenty of time to shower, eat breakfast, make lunch, pack your bag, do your hair, brush your teeth, etc. If you leave home at 8:30, you should probably be getting up around 7-7:30 (of course, this will be variable depending on how long it takes you to actually get ready). Say you need to get up by 7, that means you need to be asleep by 11pm, which may mean going to bed at 10:45, or it may mean going to bed at 10, depending again on what you have to do to get to sleep.

So, eat healthy, sleep properly, train safely and efficiently, progress while always focusing on form, leave some gas in the tank, train frequently (3 days/week wholebody is best for most people), live long and prosper.

Last edited:
....And sticky this thread :p

Your exercise program, from a strength point of view, should contain deep knee bends (squatting), lifting weights above the head (eg bench press, overhead press), picking weights up off the floor (eg deadlifts, rows), and bodyweight exercises (eg dips, pull ups). Your exercise program should also emphasise the back half of the body at least as much as the front.

As for deep knee bends, that's really a training-specific sort of thing. Squats are a useful exercise, but in reality, squat depth should be determined by activity type. For example, football linemen and catchers need to utilize a deeper, fuller range of motion during their sport-specific activities and should match their squatting form to that.

There is also a lot of solid research out there that shows that chest press in general is not an exercise worth the risks to the shoulder joint. It rarely has any sort of legitimate carry-over into an activity and pretty much always (regardless of good form) places the shoulder at a relatively high risk of stabilizer muscle (internal and external rotators) injury, when compared to lifts involving other joints.

Definitely like the rest of the post though!

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know of too many situations in which footballers actually need to utilise the full dpeth of a squat on the field, but then I don't follow football anyway. I'd be more concerned about getting full ROM on the use-it-or-lose-it basis. Plus, articular cartilege gets nourished through cycles of compression and decompression, so deep squats have that advantage for knee joint health. Furthermore, good form through the full ROM of a low-bar back squat has a lot of hamstring involvement (compared to other squats, at least), improving knee stability. Of course, this all hinges on using GOOD form through the ROM - if your form goes out the window when you reach a certain depth, then you either need to work on improving technique, or you need to avoid that depth.

Regarding chest pressing exercises, the research I've seen (and the word I have received from high performance strengtha nd conditioning coaches and physiotherapists alike) is that done correctly the risks are fairly low and it's a good (but not perfect) exercise, but 99% of people are clueless about what good technique is. Issues such as hand position, whether or not the elbows are held in, what part of the chest you lower the bar to, and elevation of the chest can have drastic influences on the safety of the exercise. That being said, for functional/carry-over purposes, the overhead press trumps the bench press anyday. It's always better to err on the side of caution, so if the bench press (or any variation thereof) is a risk factor for someone, it's usually going to be better to omit the exercise. For shoulder safety purposes, the chest press isn't very different from chest stretches, so that should also be taken into consideration (in fact, chest stretches can be even more dangerous, as you're trying to relax the muscles rather than keep them active to support the joint).

Is it true that you need to eat around 500-600 calories above maintenance to gain muscle, or can i just eat at maintenance to gain muscle.

Muscle contains mass. Mass is made from calories. So you cannot increase body mass without eating above maintenance calories. In the very initial stages of training, if you maintain bodyweight/calories you will build some muscle and lose some fat, but this will typically taper off to a hault very quickly. If you want to get bigger, you must eat at a calorie surplus. If you want to build muscle for more than a couple weeks, you must eat at a calorie surplus.

I see, and whats your opinion on cutting at my age of 15? Is it normal, or safe? Just want to know.

Refer to the original post. Unless you're morbidly obese, don't worry about cutting, just eat healthy and be active, and your body fat will more-or-less take care of itself. Trying to cut bodyfat while still growing height-wise can be problematic for maintaining normal growth, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Great tips, thanks a lot for posting.These guidelines are truly basic in nature but often missed

Thankyou. It's astonishing the way most people miss the basics. Everyone wants to do complicated, fancy, advanced stuff, but few people have patience for getting the fundamentals down first, which really just holds them back.

Exercise is also known as physical activity and includes anything that gets you moving, such as walking, dancing, or working in the yard, making the body do a physical activity which results in a healthy or healthier level of physical fitness and both physical and mental health.

Bike Exercise can Optimize the cardiovascular system, Strengthening muscles and Controlling body-weight. Exercise Bike features a easy to real LCD monitor that displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and more; a comfortable recumbent seat, handlebars with integrated heart-rate grips and bio-fit pedals.

Great tips for teen.I just show it to my youngest brother who is 17 year old and ask him to follow these superb tips.Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back