Gender and Gyms!!

Why do you really go to the gym?
What may stop you going to the gym?
Is your reason for going a social gain?
Do more men or women go to your gym?

1. Look better, feel better, enjoyment!
2. Not much. A serious disease? Death? I dont know...
3. Nope.
4. More men, but more and more women are starting to show up :D

1) I started going because I was out of shape... I want to live past 45.
2) Death. Or a study that proves a sedentary lifestyle is healthier :yelrotflmao:
3) Nope, it was half social half personal at first, now its all personal baby.
4) Women... I use a Planet Fitness (sadly, its the closest and cheapest gym in the area, and mine is actually very nice)

I go to the gym mainly because I think it is fun to workout and see myself get stronger. Then there are the obvious health benefits.

I sometimes postpone a gym day if there is some big social even, etc. I don't want to be the guy who sits at home with no friends because training is his life.

What do you mean by social gain? I don't go to the gym to make friends, although it sometimes does happen. I do notice though that in becoming bigger more girls are interested. (more men too, mainly Tom and Kraken)

I think it is pretty equal between the sexes in my gym.

I go to the gym to clear my mind acheive a better body and to get away from stress.

I will never stop exercising but may stop going to the gym, Im starting to get into outdoor training.

I dont go to the gym for social gain but I have met a few good sorts there as I go at nearly the same times.

There are wayyyyyyy more females than males that go to my gym.

Why do you really go to the gym? to look good naked

What may stop you going to the gym? death or serious injury

Is your reason for going a social gain? no- i live in Manhattan- our idea of outdoors sports is dodging cabs on sixth avenue.

Do more men or women go to your gym? men

I go since I figured what the heck, might as well get into some shape. I never exercised while in college so I figured it was time.

Many things might stop me from going to the gym. My gym is right next to my place of work, so if I don't go to work, I don't go to the gym. I do have a pass to my rec center which is by my house, but I only go for the pool. I am sort of finding outdoor sports are fun during the summer time.

I rarely talk to anyone at the gym and I rarely talk about it outside unless asked.

Women. I wish to speak to one of these strange creatures one day. Until then I will sit and observe.

Why do you really go to the gym? to be the best version of myself physically and to smash the stresses of life away on the heavy bags - very theraputic!!

What may stop you going to the gym? death or serious injury

Is your reason for going a social gain? No - I get in my zone when I work out so I dont really connect with people at the gym at all. Its my time for complete sweaty solitude.

Do more men or women go to your gym? at the boxing studio I go to I would say its fairly a even 50/50 and the normal gym I go to seems to fluctuate re ratio of guys to gals....

Meow:D

To get in shape and feel/look great (im workin on it lol)

What may stop you going to the gym? death injury just like everyone else

Is your reason for going a social gain? nope just for me once i put my ipod in, its game over!

Do more men or women go to your gym? i go to lifetime fitness so its a mixture of both, just depends on the time you go there

1. Get my fitness on track-- look good naked?

2. Injury or life events beyond my control

3. No--not much of a sociable "creature" (shy)

4. Men..I'm in the service, ratio of men to women are prolly 5:1

1. I love the gym. Any gym. It's my home away from home.

2. As long as I get in my 3-4 workouts a week, I'm happy.

3. In general, I tend not to socialize that much at the gym. But I always say hello to everybody.

4. Way more men. There are two sides to the gym I go to: (1) a lady's side with small, shiny DBs, girly machines, tons of aerobic equipment, and an area for the aerobics classes, and (2) the "other" side, which has tons of free weights and far better machines/equipment. That's the side I use. The most women I've ever seen on that side is 3 (and that included me).

1. To spend time increasing my fitness level. Whether it be weights or cardio, I can be more focused at the gym.

2. Not a lot. Only if I'm the only one around to take care of the kiddo. Then I'll do my workout at home.

3. No, but I do like the comeraderie between regular gym goers.

4. More men but more women are coming down more regularly

ILM, glad to see you weren't intimidated by the mens side (not that I can see you being intimidated by much!). I so much respect the women that aren't afraid to workout with the boys, work hard and sweat a little or a lot. I'm sure you were so much more part of the "gym family" than most of the other women in the facility. I never really understood the seperation issue but I guess it works for some. Maybe it's a tactic used by the gyms to get more females to join? What do you think?

Apparently, a lot of women prefer to have their own area, even if the equipment is lame.

And after talking to a lot of the women that workout on that side, they really have no interest in trying to figure out how to use the equipment. They also said the men really intimidate them. When I ask "Why? What do they do that intimidates you?" their reply is usually something like "they just make too much noise, they sweat a lot and I'm not comfortable in that atmosphere."

I usually reply with "What type of atmosphere is that? Serious exercise?" Needless to say they just say they don't want to workout around men.

ARE THEY CRAZY?!!!

So I suppose it is a marketing ploy, because from what I can tell, many women are super intimidated by super fit men/women, so having their own flaky little area serves their purpose. I have seen women on that side whose "workouts" last 15 minutes and then they leave. Or their workouts last an hour, but they NEVER break into a sweat. To each his own.

1) Initially to quit a bad habbit but now for strength and how I look. Yes I am a little narcasistic and vain like that.

2) Injury or lack of time.

3) My workout partner is my brother so we talk a little bit but we do not stand around an equipment for hours chatting and doing 2 sets. Sometimes, I see my neighbor or family members in there and we catch up briefly, 5-10 minutes pre / post workout.

4) Men in the free weight, Women in the classes and about equal on the aerobic machines.

To ILM's post:

Some women think that its not sexy when they sweat; yes I knew a few of them before. They workout and the moment that they sweat, they reduce the intensity. Additionally, some men at the gym might be on steriod as they walk around with a frown on their face. I mean they might have had a bad day or what not but omg, they look like they are going to shoot someone.

Also, I don't know about you guys but there are some unique people at the gym. I've noticed some usual behavior such as: using the same equipment all the time and waiting for it even though there are 5 exact same machines free or using the same locker or locker location all the time. To some, it may not be odd but women tend to be more concern about attract "eccentric" men and being stalked so they may be avoiding the "men" section.

To ILM's post:

Some women think that its not sexy when they sweat; yes I knew a few of them before. They workout and the moment that they sweat, they reduce the intensity. Additionally, some men at the gym might be on steriod as they walk around with a frown on their face. I mean they might have had a bad day or what not but omg, they look like they are going to shoot someone.

Also, I don't know about you guys but there are some unique people at the gym. I've noticed some usual behavior such as: using the same equipment all the time and waiting for it even though there are 5 exact same machines free or using the same locker or locker location all the time. To some, it may not be odd but women tend to be more concern about attract "eccentric" men and being stalked so they may be avoiding the "men" section.

I think I'm totally sexy when I sweat! But I don't wear makeup to the gym so I really don't care what I look like. I'm there to work out ;)

When you're working out and sweating, your skin gets that beautiful glow, you get that pump, and your body never looks as good at home as it does at the gym. Period. So I get to check out the guys, and they get to check out me. It's a win-win scenario :)

Some guys have that psycho look, but most are OK once you acknowledge their existence. There was this one guy at the gym who never talked to anybody. He would just work out, and he kinda had that look -- very focused, no talking, no smiling. I decided to talk to him one day because we were both doing pecs/shoulders and bumping into each other getting our DBs. I just smiled and said "sorry". That's all the encouragement he needed. He talked my ear off. He was a really nice guy. Just very, very shy :)

Unusual behaviours at the gym? I think if we all took videos at the gym, we could turn our vids into a sit-com :D

As for stalking, etc., I've never had any problems with guys at the gym, probably because I don't look or act like a "victim". Predators have a tendency to pick easy prey, i.e., the weak and fragile. I'm definitely not easy prey.

1. To get myself in better shape and looking healthier.
2. I have a number of commitments that take my time. Biggest problem is the FD/EMS responsibilities. A call can throw a wrench into my plans for the gym that day. Luckily firefighting is a nice workout when it is something.
3. I don't speak to anyone at the gym nor to I know anyone that goes to the gym.
4. More men by far. There's a few regular women who come in, but you never see more than 3 at a time. There's usually at least half a dozen men in the gym.

Back