Do chin-ups & push-ups build mass?

Do chin-ups and push-ups build muscle mass? What part of the body does these exercises benefit?

I'm 5'10 and 145 lbs... will these kind of exercises (and others that involve chin-up bars) benefit me without going to the gym? I don't want to become too buff, I want to continue being slim but with bigger chest and triceps. Like a fashion model physique.

I hope someone could help me.:confused:

Depending on how may repetitions you can complete, yes. These exercises target the back and biceps. You will sollicit the biceps more with the chin-ups due to the greater range of motion into elbow flexion when compared to pull-ups.

You can perform many body weight exercises to stay "toned"...If you really want to stay at home and out of the gym, you may eventually want to consider a weight vest to add some resistance to your exercises. A stability ball is probablynot a bad idea either.

Is it possible to get ripped faster with bodyweight exercises than free-weights? In most ways, they're a lot harder than free- weights.

I'll be more than happy to have this kind of physique:

Attachments

• swimwear.jpg
    swimwear.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 9,861
well, patrick_paul, if you ever find a routine that doesn't involve 2-3 hours a day of training to get this, then give me a holler ... cuz, as far as i know, that's what it'll take ...

Patrick...I honestly wouldn't see the point in starting a routine like this because you will adjust to it very quickly and as the guys said if you're not gonna head to the gym you won't really be able to progress any further. You will stay in tone but not get any bigger.

You need to be constantly upping your weights and progressing your workouts and with bodyweight you just cant do this (yes i know you can vary positions/ limbs/ etc but still not a big difference)...even with the vest I still think you're gonna be sooo limited. Course the fact as well that you've posted a pic of a guy with ripped abs and you're asking about pull-ups?..i kinda think you're looking at working the wrong area. also to get ripped you gotta look at your bodyfat also.

sindydoll said:
Patrick...I honestly wouldn't see the point in starting a routine like this because you will adjust to it very quickly and as the guys said if you're not gonna head to the gym you won't really be able to progress any further.

I think that's harsh. There is always a point in starting a routine. If you enjoy it, or if you notice even slight gains in strength, tone or fitness. just the fact that you are willing to put in the effort is commendable.

The bottom line is that to get a body like the one in the picture is difficult, otherwise forums like this one would not exist, and evereyone would be buff as hell!

Simple example of the use of a weight vest for pull-ups and a simple progression(for simplicity's sake, I used a 3 sets/12 reps scenario):

1- pull-ups w/ BW 3 x max reps
2- pyramids: 1 set w/out vest (12 reps), 1 set w/ vest (max out), 1 set w/out vest (12 reps)
3- pull-ups w/ weight vest 3 x 12 reps
4-drop sets: 12 reps pull-ups w/ vest followed immediately by max number of reps pull-ups w/out vest

And not only that, but if you were willing to buy just a pair of light dumbbells or some rubber tubing, you could use pre and post-exhaust supersets and achieve gains in hypertrophy with just that: your body weight, a weight vest, and some dumbbells. If you don’t want to buy db’s or tubing, you can use an isometric contraction in your supersets…If you can’t afford a weight vest, well lol, a fishing shirt with pockets filled with cans does the job just as well (granted you don’t have the exact weight, so you go by number of cans).

If you want more info on the supersets, let me know, I will gladly oblige ;)

I agree that you can build quite a good amount of muscle with pullups and pushups. There are many different variations on pullups: palms facing, palms away, close grip, wide grip, one handed, etc. Show me someone who can do 15+ pullups and I'll show you someone with a very strong back and biceps, and a relatively low bodyfat level (a good horsepower to weight ratio for you gearheads). You also mentioned pushups. These can be done in many different ways as well: wide hand spacing, close hand spacing, on fingertips, on knucles, handstand, on chairs, reverse, Hindu, etc. If you also have access to dipping bars you can build a lot of strength just doing dips with body weight. As with pullups show me someone who can do 10+ handstand pushups and 20+ dips and I'll show you someone with very strong shoulders, chest and triceps.

i agree, u may not get size, but u will get strength and definition ... there are so many different variations of these exercises that u can get a good body workout ... the people that i know that are the closest to that picture, do those kind of exercises on a very regular basis (on top of the gym)

i know twas harsh...but really ye all went on to say the same thing...that he needs to use other exercises etc to get on the right road...ye just said it in a more helpful way!

"(on top of the gym)" exactlly

sindydoll said:
Course the fact as well that you've posted a pic of a guy with ripped abs and you're asking about pull-ups?..i kinda think you're looking at working the wrong area. also to get ripped you gotta look at your bodyfat also.

Ok... the abs. My waist line is 31". It's quite flabby, with no form at all... a 1-pack. How about hanging leg raise (or the lesser hanging knee raise which I've been doing for a week now)? How big the effect will it have on my abs? Will it get ripped?

And what do you mean by "getting definition" and "on top of the gym"?

Last edited:
While for gaining mass weights are the best you can still get some results with bodyweight exercises. When you do pushups do different variatys here is a list of some to get you started

Hip Pushups these are done with on a soft surface such as carpet as you should do them on your fist. Tuck your hand in to your body and have them at the waist area near your hips. These are great for hitting the upper chest.

Varry the width of hands. Normal pushups are done with hands slightly wider than shoulder width. Close pushups are done with hands in a diamond or triangle shape right next to each other, commonly known as the diamond pushups. Wide pushups are when your hands are wider than normal. Usaully the closer the hands are together the more they hit the triceps the further apart they are they hit the chest more.

One leg pushups these are good to do to work up to a one hand pushup simply do them with one leg.

One hand pushups place legs far apart about twice shoulder witdth and use one hand.

clap pushups these are great for explosive strength you push yourself up into the air and clap. Be carefull when doing these and don't try them first up.

When doing Pullups vary the grips under hand grip (chinups) great for biceps
Overhand grip when doing this vary the width of hands.

You can build a good 15 - 20 pounds with these variations if done about three times a week and you can use vest for added resistance. Remember to eat lots of protein to build muscle.

I think a lot of people have a misconception on body composition and fitness.

Doing situps will not "tone" or "rip" your abs. Having a low body fat will. You cannot lose body fat in one area by working it with body weight or weights. You lose weight according to genetics. Muscles dont "own" the fat around them.

Also, doing bodyweight movements will not "tone" you. The word "tone" comes from a greek word "tonus" which means the amount of tension in a muscle. Most people mistake the word "tone" and "define" for having a low body fat level, revealing muscle tissue. This look, however, is achieved through energy expenditure and a reduction in total kcals to reduce body fat levels.

If youre looking to add muscle mass, then you can achieve it by any means of progression, including bodyweight + a stiumli. But its important to note that you will need additional kcals to see dramatic improvements in muscle size. Of course, some people will add body fat this way so eventually you will need to devote a period of time to focus on pure fat loss while you retain LBM.

So to answer your question, pullups are one of the best back movements you can do. Simply invest in a dipping belt to add weights. For pushups, try incline one handed pushups. Or throw a couple 45 lb plates on your back. Buy some sandbags if you dont have them. The body doesnt know if youre at the gym or not. It only knows a progression of stimulus.

7 years..

Anyone here tried the 100 Pushups program (hundredpushups.com)?

Back