Breast Implants

what is your overall impression of them?

when i was a child in the 80's and early 90's, there was a lot of negative press and also questions about safety. there was also a lot of debate about how they might affect a woman's self esteem.

however, nowadays things seem to be different. breast implants don't seem to viewed in as much of a negative light in general and relating to the reasons listed above. even people who have obvious, unnatural looking implants, like pamela anderson and carmen electra, and who use/used their body and blatant sexuality as the primary means of becoming famous are crossing over into a more positive light and into the mainstream.

what do you all think about implants (any impressions) and have your impressions changed over time? :confused:

I think its honestly sad. I think plastic surgery outside of reconstructive work is a bane on our society.

I agree!

Also, I think the idea of having some foreign object in one's body for vanity's sake is scary. There is still a lot that is unknown about implants.

hey guys, thanks for offering your insight. seems to be a consensus that they are still not a good thing whether based on impressions/society.

i'm actually a little bit surprised and i'm thinking that my own impressions in my initial post may not be accurate after all.

i'd appreciate if you all could elaborate a little more on your ideas. this is just a really interesting issue to me!

also, what do you think about celebrities with implants (any celebs, even the ones with good looking implants)? do you have a negative impression of them based on the fact that they have implants?

I want the real things. If i wanted to grope artificial breasts i'd bust out the jellow from the fridge and play with that.

its sad that theres kids and people starving in other countries and here in america people are worried about their nose or their breasts so they get the expensive surgery

Well, looking at me, people would think that I would be the type who would be insecure about my size. I'm barely an A, but I like the way I am. When I was younger, I do admit that I thought I would get more attention from the guys if I had larger breasts. It's now that I realize that there's so much more than appearance involved. I am beautiful just the way I am. I'm considering going into fitness modeling because everyone says I should be a model or an actress or something. Yes, I know a lot of models get implants to make their fit and thin bodies look more feminine, but here's so much more to femininity than breast size. Sadly, I think very few women get implants for themselves. They get them to look good to other people. Implants obviously feel fake, and look fake and can lead to scarring, infection and loss of sensation in the surrounding area. I certainly wouldn't want to do that to my body just for the sake of looking like a girl out of a playboy magazine. With my body, I've learned to fix what I can change, and accept what I can't. There are advantages to small breasts that are often forgotten. I don't have to worry about back problems, sagging, or discomfort during exercise. Believe it or not, women used to bind their breasts to achieve the "flat" look. It used to be "in" if you can believe that.

So, now, I have dropped my insecurities. I get plenty of attention from men even though I don't have large or even average breasts. It just goes to show that there's much more to a woman than the size of her breasts.

the same could be said about you buying equipment to grow your muscles, pb.

There's a big difference between buying workout equipment and getting bicep and pectoral implants (which some men actually do). Muscle implants for men are the equivalent of breast implants for women. Both are ridiculous.

Saying you like them natural is the politically correct thing to say. But the reality of it is that the majority of guys are all eyes for the girl with the implants - it's just an instinctive response. Or try talking to a girl who has implants and ask how it changed male response for her.

It's a pretty big operation though, and sometimes there are some nasty complications. I know a girl who got sort of wound hole that wouldn't heal, it took a long time and additional surgery to fix it, and I'm guessing it left some bad scarring. It's not just pay $6000 and it's done. There's also the longevity to consider, they supposedly only last up to 15 years, then you have to redo it. Willingly placing yourself in a situation where you have to fix your body 3 or more times with major surgery is a bit extreme imo.

I've had a gf with implants and it was great, and she was very happy about having it done too. My current gf doesn't have implants, and I don't think she should. Won't make me love her more if it goes right, and if the surgery went wrong that'd just be terrible.

So I'm in the strange position of admitting to liking them, but not really recommending anyone getting them.

well, my equpmnt was really...cheap, and i got it for fitness

breast surgery is for fixing something you cannot accept about yourself

and plus my eqpmnt was 100 times cheaper, but i understand your point.

i do eat more just to gain muscle, where on the other hand, the kids are starving...
we all have a lot to be thankful for :]

The rampant consumerism, where all the rich people are focusing a lot on getting fancier cars, bigger houses, designer clothing, nose jobs - that's what's driving the economic forces that are currently in the process of getting 3 billion people out of poverty. The globalized capitalism is the most benevolent force ever seen on the planet. All the foreign aid or humanitarian projects in the history of the world comes not even remotely close to achieving that.

if you had a huge nose that made you feel insecure and wanted to nose job to make yourself feel better, is that wrong? if so, what is wrong about it?

and, if you have really small breasts that in some ways make you feel less feminine or attractive, and you want implants, what's wrong with that?

what i'm saying is, what is the real issue that people have with implants? if you don't like them aesthetically, well, there are probably a ton of people who have them who have nice looking (or feeling) breasts and you don't know so that argument is a bit tough. but, if there is a technically safe procedure that could boost someone's self esteem, and someone has made the decision to have implants, what exactly is the harm and who are we to judge?

leave out all the plastic surgery freaks and obviously insecure people. i'm talking about someone who takes the time to decide to have them for the sole purpose of increasing their breast size because it's their decision. what is wrong with that, if anything?

Nothing wrong with it, on the contrary. Wishing selfimprovement is in general a healthy psychological trait in my book, and succeeding in it improves quality of life.

There's just the risk to consider. But then I've done several parachute jumps, I guess that's a lot worse in terms of benefit-to-risk ratio.

I had my ears laid in when I was 19. Me ears weren't really sticking out that much or bothering me, tbh psychologically it wasn't any different of the other things I did for looks, like working out, dieting, clothing. I just wanted to look better, and it worked, and I was very happy about it. There certainly wasn't any insecurities or anything involved there or harm done. Totally worth the cost and pain. But then, I didn't really get any complications.

Er, they're just breast implants, if you don't like them then don't get them.

Why do people get such strong opinions about things that don't effect them?
If you can find the ability to be happy in your body then that's great, but if some people want to get something changed then that's their choice and good luck to them IMO, I hope it makes them feel better about themselves. They aren't harming anyone

I think implants should be like makeup-the trick is to not make it obvious you have them.

Sometimes it isn't just about size, I had a buddy whose wife got them after breastfeeding because she had that "deflated" look.

and I have to agree with Nicolasd that capitalism is good and drives positive changes in the world economy....I never expected a European to be the one to agree with me though LOL

Not to mention that having small breasts isn't the only reason for a woman to get breast implants. As any mother who has breasfead a child will tell you--or even a woman who has had kids can tell you--sometimes they're just not the same. Also women who have lost a lot of weight could find benefit from a boob job. Or how about somone who has had a mastectomy...

Breast implants can feel and look natural, it all depends on the look you're going for. I wouldn't judge any woman who is confident enough to want to get them knowing that she'll be judged for her choice.

Most women who are against it feel that way because they themselves don't have a 'need' for it. And what about other procedures like tummy tucks? I'm sorry but if I were an obese or even slightly overweight person who, through natural means, lost her weight but ended up with sagging breast and a pouch for a tummy, I'd be doing something about it...no amount of exercise will fix those things...

Edit: LOL Gooch, we were thinking along the same line

Not to mention that having small breasts isn't the only reason for a woman to get breast implants. As any mother who has breasfead a child will tell you--or even a woman who has had kids can tell you--sometimes they're just not the same. Also women who have lost a lot of weight could find benefit from a boob job. Or how about somone who has had a mastectomy...

Breast implants can feel and look natural, it all depends on the look you're going for. I wouldn't judge any woman who is confident enough to want to get them knowing that she'll be judged for her choice.

Most women who are against it feel that way because they themselves don't have a 'need' for it. And what about other procedures like tummy tucks? I'm sorry but if I were an obese or even slightly overweight person who, through natural means, lost her weight but ended up with sagging breast and a pouch for a tummy, I'd be doing something about it...no amount of exercise will fix those things...

Edit: LOL Gooch, we were thinking along the same line

Great minds think alike

I think there are good reasons and bad reasons to get cosmetic surgery. I also think there are good and bad mental states to be in when considering it.

Many women after pregnancy/breastfeeding would consider it reconstructive

I'm so glad some more people have spoken out defending cosmetic surgery, after the first page I was starting to despair.

On list of problems with our society I think boob jobs come in at about number 3 billion, that's about a billion places below people with ginger nasal hair.

There are so many reasons someone might want to have cosmetic surgery and I don't think anyone has the right to judge another on such a private issue that doesn't harm anyone

Some perspective please people

I agree with Nicolasd... its true.... lets fasce it guys... its attractive... but I personally, dont really like it..... you know what I'm trying to say? I prefer natural! But its still attractive....

Back