Ankle Pain / Knee Issues Are stopping me from working out. Please help!

I am a 34 year old female, I work full time, have three young boys and have been trying to work out to lose weight but continuously run into problems with my ankles, and knees.

I used to walk / run 3 to 5 miles 6 days a week with no problem whatsoever. After winter hit (I live in Maine), I didn’t work out for about 4 months. When I tried to get back to my walks, I would have sudden pain in my ankles and archs of my feet. I tried to take it slow, and space out my walks – but the pain would come back.

I stopped the walking and tried to just work out at home. But the jumping around or step ups again aggravated my ankles.

This was so disheartening especially since I was so successful with weight loss prior to this ankle situation.

Recently I bought a stationary bike – the kind where you pedal out in front of you as oppose to below like a regular bike. I was getting awesome results and the weight started dropping – but then my knees started to feel strange. Almost like my kneecap was floating or rubbing – from what I was told – this is what water in the knee is. My ankles have started to hurt again.

I am so depressed that this is holding me back. I have the drive – the motivation – but I don’t have the time to go to gyms or pools.

Is there anything I can do to exercise / get enough cardio to lose weight at a good pace? I am eating healthy – great water intake daily – but I need a burn…. Please help 

You can try Eversion Isometrics
Place your injured foot against a table leg facing out while seated.
Push your foot outwards the object that is against to your foot (take note that your ankle joint should not move) to perform a muscle contraction.
Hold for 15 seconds and relax for 10 seconds.
and if problem persist consult your doctor

That's right, Warm & stretching plays very important role in workout. Practicing it, can help you.
Knee pain can be derived from many different things. The most common cause of knee pain usually comes from an untreated acute injury, but knee pain can also derive from the bone tissue. The knee joint is made up of many different bones, ligaments, cartilage etc. An injury to any one of these components, along with the tissue around the joint, can trigger chronic knee pain.

Hi! I've faced the same issues too. I used to have a shoulder and back pain for quite a while. It used to increase like half an hour into all my workout sessions. I was told that physiotherapy would be helpful. So after some internet searching, I found a good physiotherapy center next to me called Focus Physiotherapy. It was quite good and now, after a year, I feel much better and the problems aren't as persistent as before. Maybe you can give it a try as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing that might help your knee cap is to stretch out the IT band if it’s tight. When the IT band is tight it pulls the fibers in your knee and can move your knee cap around. I dislocated my knee cap a few years ago and stretching out my IT band took away some of the feeling the my knee cap was moving around. Hope this is helpful for you.

Back