Aerobic Training 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
* due to this thread http://weight-loss.fitness.com/weig...st-beginners-cardio-exercises.html#post269327
I posted this.*

Aerobic Training 101

The definition of aerobic training is in short movement that increases the need of intake of oxygen. The higher you increase that need for oxygen the harder your body organs (lungs, heart, etc.) are going to work to provide a catch up, if you will, to aid in helping your body function to continue the movement you are doing.

When it comes to style of movement you can do in aerobic training the choices are endless really. You can run, you can dance, you can hop, you can bike, and you can walk. The only thing that stops your options is imagination. As far as how hard, how long, what is best for fat loss, and more, well read on.

Heart Rates

You heart rate is the number of “beats” of your heart usually charted within a period of a minute. Resting Heart Rate is the amount of beats you have while at rest. Maximum Heart Rate is the highest amount of beats a person should achieve while engaging in physical activity. Keeping a check of your heart rate during physical activity can be very important when determining your rate of needed exertion in training.
It lets you know if you are working to hard or not hard enough (the latter is usually the case). You can monitor your heart rate by taking your pulse or using electronic monitoring devices easily available to the public.

To find the your resting heart rate-
· Lightly place two fingers on the neck, just to the side of the larynx.
· Once the pulse is identified, count the pulses for 30 seconds and multiply by two.
· Record the 60-second pulse rate and average over three days.

Points to consider-

· The touch should be gentle. Excessive pressure can decrease heart rate and blood pressure.
· Take when calm at the same time every morning.

Resting heart rates can vary. On average, the resting heart rate for a male is 70 beats per minute and 75 beats per minute for a female.

Finding Max Heart Rate using the Miller formula-

MHR=217 - (0.85 × age)

You can make adjustments and subtract and add depending on current health but for the most part this number is going to be close enough.

For example if you are 43 years old then the formula would look like this.

217- (.85 x 43)=MHR
217-36.55=180.45

Maximum Heart Rate is 180.ure 5-7: Carotid Pulse

Heart Rate Zones

Below listed are different training zones measured by heart rates.

Warm up/Recovery Zone:
50% -70% of Max Heart Rate
Aerobic Zone:
70% to 80% of Max Heart Rate
Anaerobic Zone:
80% to 90% of Max Heart Rate

The “Fat Burning Zone”

Oh how I cringe when I hear some fluffy cardio cheese ball talk about the fat burning zone. You might be saying “it has to come from somewhere”. Yes, it does, but the fat burning zone is an illusion and really just a way for people to not have to work out harder. Let me explain why.

I recently explained this to someone using drawing of a turtle, a bunny, some fat cells and scary stick figures. I will not put you through my failed art course, I will however, try to break this down as simply as possible.

When you perform exercise different intensities of heart rates use different fuels. When you are at a state of complete rest you are burning mostly fat as fuel, the more you up your heart rate the more you start to split fuel usage between fat and stored glycogen. The basic idea is that if working at a 50-70% heart rate you are going to be burning mostly fat as a fuel source while still active enough to be burning a large amount of energy at the same time. Sounds like a good idea but here is the problem with that.

First off this is the worst state to be in for protecting your muscle glycogen. What do we want to do during a cut? We want to protect our muscle glycogen. Second remember that losing fat is about an overall energy deficit.

H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training)
The best of both worlds? The king of fat loss? The king of increasing better overall health? Tired of the rhetorical questions!?

Okay, okay so I am a fan of HIIT. That being said it is perhaps the most misunderstood form of exercise that exists right now, and chances are it is only going to get worse. If you Googled HIIT you will get a massive amount of wrong answers on the subject, more wrong than right most of the time. I am going to provide you with a simple run down and end your confusion on HIIT.

In short it is exercising in intervals of extreme high intensity (85 to 90% of max heart rate) mixed with bouts of low intensity. You alternate these periods for a maximum of mins. The purpose and benefits of HIIT are really just endless

-Increasing your VO2 Max oxygen intake by pushing your aerobic and anaerobic threshold (in short increasing lung capacity and use).
-Lowering resting heart rate.
-Longer increase of metabolism over more extended periods of time.
-Higher levels of energy used in a single training session
-Better protection of muscle tissue over standard aerobic practices.

The list goes on.

A standard HIIT program layout is like this.

· Warm up-Dynamic stretches (lunges, walking kicks, side bends, toe touches)
· Warm up-5 mins walk to brisk walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
· Repeat for a maximum of 15 mins.
· Cool Down-5 mins
· Post Workout Static Stretches

That is it, pretty simple, or is it?

Here is where the confusion comes in. Notice the 10-20 sec sprint aspect. Notice the 85-90% of your Max heart rate. These two aspects are very important to understand. Now don’t get me wrong you can do HIIT in any various styles or methods you want, be it elliptical, cone training, running in place, etc. However when it is time to “sprint” to go all out, that is exactly what it means. When the first interval kicks in you need to go at an ALL OUT SPRINT for 10-20 secs. Unless you are a highly trained athlete you will not (if doing it correctly) be able to do more than this, period. This isn’t running, this is sprinting or better put running for your life as hard as you possibly can. I have seen people fall flat on there face before. You are working at an 85 to 90% of your heart rate. You cannot physically move and go much higher than this. I see a lot of people trying to time themselves or their heart rate during these sprints, it isn’t possible. You can’t do anything else other than pray and run for that 10-20 secs.

After that sprint you will then walk at a very light pace (you really have no choice but to) for 1 min or even a little longer depending on what you need for recovery time when you are beginning this type of training. After 1 min you will then do it again for 10-20 secs.
You will repeat this for a MAXIMUM of 15 mins. Most people however starting out will do this for about 10 tops.

After you are done with your interval sessions you will then cool down your body for 5 mins at a light walking pace.

This is a very extreme workout. Afterwards you may even get sick. This isn’t for beginners, you have to work up to this style of programming, but it is perfectly safe and wonderful for your health if you build up to it in the correct manner.

A way you can build up to HIIT is by doing regular interval training, working at a moderate level of intensity or throwing in a sprint here of there as time goes on. Take your time with it, if you have major health problems talk to you doctor about what it is and if it is right for you.

What is right for me?
Increasing intensity is #1 importance for fat loss AND health. If you are doing cardio while reading a book then close the book and get to work!

Depending on your level of health and experiance will depend on how long and intense your workouts will be, but I assure you that you can work you way up very easy to higher and newer levels.

Remember this, aerobic training, no matter what form is good for you. Start out simple, do what you can, and progress as needed.

How long should I workout for?

Only for as long as you need to!

Losing fat is about a caloric deficit. If you have a good diet and resistance training to go with some aerobic work only do as much as you NEED to do!

You also need at least 1 rest day a week. Period.

Do not guide by some cookie cutter guideline, guide by what gets you the right results.

To give you though a base to work on though...

If you are training for fat loss and have a resistance routine in place and a caloric deficit diet then I recommend some form of aerobic training at least 3 times a week for no less than 20 mins and no more than 60. Ideally HIIT or aggressive interval training ranging from 25-35 mins.

In the next section I am going to give you some various ideas for different cardio workouts.

Last edited:
Home Aerobic Options

You can get the body of your dreams without having a gym membership. While I personally think having one makes things easier, for some going to the gym is the make or break point. Here are you options for home cardio and their pros and cons.

Machines- (Treadmill-Elliptical-Bike)

Pros-
*The get the job done, they are the standard in the cardio world.
*Allow you to do a favorite activity while doing a not so favorite activity. The ability to be able to read or watch TV is important for a lot of people.
*Safe and easy to use. In general just punch some buttons and on your way.
*Easy to increase ability. Not getting the same workout anymore, turn it up and notch and are at a whole new level again.
*In the long run will be much cheaper than paying a gym.

Cons-
*Expensive. You can’t go cheap on this kind of equipment. It’s a short run high expense.
*Because you can watch TV, people don’t always focus as they should during their workouts and can cause injury or not obtain full workout desired.
*Take up room in home. If it is a good piece of equipment not matter what they say, it’s going to be big and it’s going to be big in your home.
Suggestions: Buy Used! People are always selling their new years resolution machines. Hop on ebay or look in the local paper to save tons of money. If you go on ebay search by area close to you and do local pick-ups only. Also check out local used sporting goods shops.

Videos-(Home video workouts)

Pros-
*Cheap. For the most part you can get a solid cardio video for under 20 dollars.
*Fun. Its perfect for those easily distracted or those who count down the minute till their workout is over. Having someone working with you, even in a vitural sense makes doing it a lot easier.
*Challenging. Most cardio videos provide a real challenge to the user and makes for a more focused workout.

Cons-
*So many videos to choose from and some are just not worth your money. When you get a cardio video it needs to be just that, cardio. No strength training, no great abs in five days. It should be just you bouncing around at a good energy level for 30-40mins. If it has lifting or “toning” move on to the next one.
*Plateaus. It is easy for your body to adjust to these workouts, so you need to change out your videos at least every 4 weeks.
Suggestions-If you have a netflix type service get your videos that way. It is much cheaper; you can keep the video for 4 weeks and then get another one! And remember get ones with just cardio. No resistance, weights, core ball movements. Just you and movement.

Random objects (jump ropes, trampolines, step ups)

Pros-
*Cheap- Most of these kinds of items are very cheap and easy to find.
*Small-They take up little to no room and make it easy to work with in a small setting.
*Effective-What are two of the highest caloric burning pieces of gear? Jump rope and trampoline.

Cons-
*Not easy for beginners-because they are highly effective exercises it can take awhile to build up to them. Especially jump roping as it takes cardiovascular strength and a degree of coordination.
*Can be boring and drawn out for some and repetitive. If you aren’t enjoying your exercise, then chances are you wont do it.

The Great Outdoors

Pros-
*It’s Free! Can’t get any better than that really.
*Constant challenges being hills, turns, slopes and all kinds of new distances to travel.
*This also includes sports, which can be a lot of fun and take away from the boredom of working out.

Cons-
*Because there are different inclines it can be a little hard for beginners.
*Running outdoors isn’t for everyone and proper stretching is often ignored.
*For some can be boring so bring some music to keep you company.

In the end the choice is up to you, just pick something you enjoy doing. The hardest part of working out is getting in and staying in a routine. If you enjoy what you are doing and if it is easy to fit into your life then the chance for you to stay in it is much higher.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I've been loosing gaining & loosing weight for years. Whilst there is a lot of truth to what you say about HIIT...I think the comment about steady cardio being no good for weight loss shows just how people can get to hung up on the one thing. Thankyou to the person for pointing out that people should have a good grounding on rest & recovery before flogging the body like so. I do like HIIT, but feel for those just starting out like myself (yet again) that the walk/jog walk /jog is extreamly effective, which only gives credence to the concept of HITT, yet as many of us progress to a steady beat, you can be assured weight loss still plays it's part. I also agree that zoning can and is all to often used an exscuse to burn fat without any real effort, but I've come across to many profesional body builders that swear by low intensity workouts to lose Fat...Therefore whilst I take onboard the importance of HIIT, I think it is more effective used along side other forms of working out. It's really great to help people get to the next lvl...that's for sure...but then again, somthing I tend to overtrain myself with. Guess it all comes down to experiance...being a yo yo myself...I best be going with the steady method for now :)...Thanks again...Good Read.

For general health and fitness, nothing works quite as well as aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise has been proven to help mental and emotional well-being. Anxiety, depression, panic attacks, phobias, attention deficit disorder, and many more mental and emotional problems can be virtually eliminated with exercise. When you exercise, your body produces many different types of hormones. These hormones can make you feel better and help your body rebuild itself.

During aerobic exercise, your body releases beta-endorphins. These beta endorphins are the body's natural painkillers sometimes known as opiates. These endorphins are what are responsible for the feeling known as quote runner's high quote which is experienced by long-distance runners and marathoners.

Aerobic exercise also stimulates the production of norepinephrine. This body chemical may help eliminate depression. People who are depressed typically have low levels of norepinephrine so aerobic exercise may help combat this type of depression.

Aerobic exercise also causes the body to heat up and sweat. Body heat helps to calm the muscles while sweat moves toxins out of the body. Large accumulations of toxins in the body are known to cause many health problems. By sweating out these toxins, you are improving your health.

You should strive to perform aerobic exercise at least three times a week for a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes. It used to be widely believed that you would have to exercise for 20 to 30 minutes at one time. However, new research shows that three 10-minute workouts throughout the day can achieve the same effect of one 30-minute workout.

Aerobic exercise does not necessarily mean going to the gym and a Lycra leotard and performing a routine to music. This is the most familiar form of aerobic exercise. However, any exercise that elevates the heart rate can be considered aerobic exercise. Be creative. Aerobic exercise can include walking, hiking, running, biking, swimming, jumping rope, and even a vigorous mowing a lawn. It really doesn't matter. Just get out and start moving. In fact, if you change your aerobic exercise every couple of days, you are more apt to stick with it. Most people give up their aerobic exercise because they get bored with doing the same aerobic exercise day after day after day. By combining walking with swimming or by hiking one-day and jumping rope another, it will become less routine, more exciting, and more fun. For added fun and excitement, include a friend or family member to do your aerobic exercise with you. Having a friend exercise with you not only makes the time go faster, but also provides some accountability. You are far less likely to skip your aerobic exercise if you know you have to meet a friend for a walk in the park.

So for the next four weeks, commit yourself to aerobic exercise at least three times a week. Keep a daily journal of how you feel. At the end of the four weeks, I guarantee that if you have stuck with your aerobic exercise you will feel more energized, less anxious and stressed, and be in a better overall mood.

hello,
The definition of aerobic training is in short movement that increases the need of intake of oxygen. The higher you increase that need for oxygen the harder your body organs (lungs, heart, etc.) are going to work to provide a catch up, if you will, to aid in helping your body function to continue the movement you are doing.

When it comes to style of movement you can do in aerobic training the choices are endless really. You can run, you can dance, you can hop, you can bike, and you can walk. The only thing that stops your options is imagination. As far as how hard, how long, what is best for fat loss, and more, well read on.

Healthy adults between 18 and 65 should aim for 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, a guideline supported by the American Heart Association, American Council on Exercise, and the American College of Sports Medicine.

Your article is one the good and apt on aerobics. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us. Also I would like to add is our body adapts amazingly well, and quickly, to the stress of exercise. So once you are consistently exercising and can do so for at least 30 minutes at a time, try adding some interval training into your routine. Just mix some short bursts of effort into whatever you’re already doing. It’s a great way to get more out of your workouts without making them longer.

Unless there's a medical reason you can't do heavy lifting, if you're trying to lose weight I'd do cardio in conjunction with heavy lifting. But as far as a cardio program that works, any cardio program will burn calories. HIIT is really good because you get more intensity in less time, and it targets visceral fat. A lot of people claim good results with HIIT compared to regular cardio.

The thing about cardio is that if you aren't doing any kind of strength training as well, you'll lose muscle, not just fat. There's a really good sticky on HIIT in this forum, I believe in the workouts section or something. Basically, for something like running, you'd run at a moderate pace for a minute or two, then for 10-20 seconds go all-out, (if you're really going all-out this is as long as you could do) then switch back to a moderate pace, etc. Keep doing that for like 15 minutes (more isn't recommended). What I'd do then is just continue at a moderate pace after that for as long as you can.

And of course no program will work unless you are using more calories than you're taking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back