Llama

I get really anxious about 'all things medical' so I can completely understand how you are feeling LLama! Hopefully you can still enjoy the long weekend!

"Still doing groups once a week. Planner said it was only temporarily until we found a new colleague but they've been with us for a month now and don't want to do groups. Had my first go-round with the new group schedule this week (less time between groups) and it went ok." What kind of group work do you do? Hope you had a nice walk!

Glad to hear you got a good night's sleep. yeah sometimes with these nerve-wracking things it's just kind of getting through, and then it's over and we can relax again! Too bad about the eczema --the stress wouldn't be helping that I imagine...
Hope you had a lovely walk.
Thanks Liza. Yesterday's walk was only short (although when the linden trees are in bloom all walks are glorious) but this morning's was kind of amazing.
I get really anxious about 'all things medical' so I can completely understand how you are feeling LLama! Hopefully you can still enjoy the long weekend!

"Still doing groups once a week. Planner said it was only temporarily until we found a new colleague but they've been with us for a month now and don't want to do groups. Had my first go-round with the new group schedule this week (less time between groups) and it went ok." What kind of group work do you do? Hope you had a nice walk!
Thanks Jenefer. I'm sure I'll love the long weekend regardless and the more time I can spend outside the less I worry. I'm a physical therapist and the groups we currently offer are: neck, shoulder, lower back, hip, knee, foot, and relaxation. Generally two for neck because it's so commonly needed. If the participants are well-selected (able to move well enough to not need a lot of individual attention and able to hear/understand instructions) it's actually good fun but doing 8 in a row with barely enough time to pee or drink water is kind of rough.

Woke up at 5 this morning and couldn't sleep anymore so I was out on the trails by 6:08 am! Repeated the super steep hike I did 6 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that my Achilles' tendon didn't hurt this time. Guess the mobility work is paying off! Really wasn't sure it would because my ankle mobility has been restricted for 25 years 🙈 Nice reminder that bodies really are adaptable. I even managed to use my extra mobility on the descent (during which I didn't get lost, unlike the last time) and I think it'll make me more sure-footed in the long run. Which is sorely needed.

My youngest nephew turns 11 today. I sent him money and congratulations and since he'll probably be busy all day I might spend some time grinding for shiny, perfectly enchanted gear for him in Minecraft.

Your constant battle with dealing with some clients is just a reminder of why my focus is on performance coaching rather than clinical. I am forever reminding people they need to see a physiotherapist (physical therapist) for things I cannot help them with. Scope of practice is soo important.

It sure is and I wish there was a way for me to find good personal trainers for my patients. So many people would do better if they had someone qualified by their side to help them get into the joy of movement. And sadly quite a few "personal trainers" don't have what it takes to keep things safe and fun.
I imagine the battle with clients to be quite similar to the battle with patients though: what you gain in motivation (because someone who doesn't want to move probably won't hire a trainer) you likely lose to entitlement (My patients really can't get onto the high horse of "I pay your salary!")

Thanks Liza. Yesterday's walk was only short (although when the linden trees are in bloom all walks are glorious) but this morning's was kind of amazing.

Woke up at 5 this morning and couldn't sleep anymore so I was out on the trails by 6:08 am! Repeated the super steep hike I did 6 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that my Achilles' tendon didn't hurt this time. Guess the mobility work is paying off! Really wasn't sure it would because my ankle mobility has been restricted for 25 years 🙈 Nice reminder that bodies really are adaptable. I even managed to use my extra mobility on the descent (during which I didn't get lost, unlike the last time) and I think it'll make me more sure-footed in the long run. Which is sorely needed.

My youngest nephew turns 11 today. I sent him money and congratulations and since he'll probably be busy all day I might spend some time grinding for shiny, perfectly enchanted gear for him in Minecraft.
Lovely to hear of the excellent walking and being pain free on the steep hike, as well as the increased mobility!

Llama it seems like your education/profession would be super helpful in staying healthy, that's wonderful. My father has had both hips replaced (2 separate surgeries) and he adored his physical therapists, totally credits them with helping him walk well again! I need to keep doing some mobility videos I found on YouTube, really is helpful and I need it too! Glad that things are going well for you, it is nice to remember that bodies are really adaptable! :hurray:

Oh, Llama. Doing groups for a day sounds exhausting! It's great to hear that you went on that steep hike & managed it so well. Good for you. Your mobility work is definitely paying off. I love hearing about your walks xo

Lovely to hear of the excellent walking and being pain free on the steep hike, as well as the increased mobility!
Things really do seem to be looking up ❤️
Llama it seems like your education/profession would be super helpful in staying healthy, that's wonderful. My father has had both hips replaced (2 separate surgeries) and he adored his physical therapists, totally credits them with helping him walk well again! I need to keep doing some mobility videos I found on YouTube, really is helpful and I need it too! Glad that things are going well for you, it is nice to remember that bodies are really adaptable! :hurray:
Glad to hear your dad had a positive experience with my colleagues :) While it's partially true that what we do is keep people busy while their body heals itself I really do believe that paying close attention and changing small things can make a huge difference.
Oh, Llama. Doing groups for a day sounds exhausting! It's great to hear that you went on that steep hike & managed it so well. Good for you. Your mobility work is definitely paying off. I love hearing about your walks xo
I'm back in "my" room today and I'm genuinely looking forward to my shift :rotflmao: Does that make me a weirdo?

Made it to the gym yesterday and did much better than expected but also ate a bag of chips after work 🤷‍♀️

I'm sure I'm a weirdo regardless, but aren't we all? Made it to the gym this morning and struggled but did what I'd set out to do so I was proud of myself anyway. Did chores, grocery shopping, and a bit of food prep and still had time to play some Minecraft. Little nephew of course fell into a spiky pit, had his shiny new gear despawn on Tuesday, and was inconsolable so I wanted to at least get him an excellent pickaxe again. The rest he'll have to do for himself or he'll never get more careful...

Work is feeling good so far today.

Thanks Cate, I did. Starting out with a short hike today and visiting a friend after. It rained buckets yesterday and the same is expected later today so I got up early (it's 6:15 and I'm waiting for the subway already) which means I have time for more games with Sis2 and Neph3 later.

Had a gorgeous hike and the rest of the day was lovely as well. I did sit down too much after getting home and ate too many chips. But I ended the day with celery&cheese, aka food of the gods, and it made me feel both better and less inclined to eat crap.

Colonoscopy prep diet (mostly no nuts and seeds) starts tomorrow and I should put a note in my wallet to remind myself because I had a poppyseed bun today without even thinking about it. A week without tomatoes :eek: Well, I could have them if I scooped out the seeds but the pulp's the best part of fresh tomatoes! Also: no berries and I just realized I still have a punnet of blueberries and one of raspberries in the fridge. :cuss:

Last edited:
I just realized that due to my moved appointment I could have my leftover berries for breakfast today and stay within the rules 🤔 Think I'll do that, with some yogurt. But first it's gym time! The best part of having Fridays off is having an extra morning gym window.

Gym was fun: I sweated so much! Didn't find any of the stuff I went shopping for though, and while I was crunching my way through my day's celery ration I realized I didn actually know why I'm not allowed to eat nuts/seeds/pips/kernels this week so I looked it up online and apparently it's all hard-to-digest stuff, so fibrous veggies are out as well, and no beans or lentils :eek: I guess I don't look like someone who eats their greens or they might've told me... This is going to be an even more boring week than I thought and it's going to be VERY hard to keep my hands out of the cookie jar - unhealthy stuff seems to all be allowed..

I have a shirt that says: "I'm not weird, I am a limited edition." I also have one that says "I'd like to help you out, which way did you come in?" So yes I totally get the 'I am happy to be on my own working and not in a group feeling' after you have been in a group environment for a bit! For me that is like 2 hours :) You really really do eat healthy, I can't stand celery, if I aspired to half of the good things you eat, I would be so much better off! It is ironic unhealthy stuff is allowed, I have a friend with Crohn's Disease and it really is amazing what is allowed and what is not, the healthy stuff often is not!

Thanks Jenefer and Vic :)

I have a shirt that says: "I'm not weird, I am a limited edition." I also have one that says "I'd like to help you out, which way did you come in?" So yes I totally get the 'I am happy to be on my own working and not in a group feeling' after you have been in a group environment for a bit! For me that is like 2 hours :)
That first quote I've seen (and chuckled at) before but the second one is new and I need it in my life. Maybe as an undershirt at work so I can flash people with it :p
I'm good with groups... up to about 4 people. Any more that that and 2 hours start to sound very long!

You really really do eat healthy, I can't stand celery, if I aspired to half of the good things you eat, I would be so much better off! It is ironic unhealthy stuff is allowed, I have a friend with Crohn's Disease and it really is amazing what is allowed and what is not, the healthy stuff often is not!
I do love my beans and other veggies, although celery is a recent addition. I used to loathe it but my sister convinced me to stick with it for a couple of weeks to see if it helped my eczema and I think it has, at least somewhat. It's definitely done away with my dislike of celery, so that's good :) I don't know a lot about Crohn's but for IBS I think you're supposed to have a good bit of fiber during the good times and then go very low fiber during the bad times to give your intestines a rest and not get particles stuck in the inflamed bits of gut? For colonoscopy prep that's how I read it as well: you don't want indigestible bits/insoluble fiber hanging around obscuring the view.

So I'm 100% avoiding the stuff mentioned in my own prep plan but the general recommendations I found online seem to make additional sense and I find the idea of having someone sticking cameras into my body gross enough to want it to be effective first try. I think I can use up my basic-ass lettuce for a day or two yet if I chew well, steamed carrot and kohlrabi should be fine and if I grill and skin my peppers those ought to be ok as well. And I'm going to do my very best to keep the unhealthy stuff to a reasonable amount to avoid irritating my stomach and gut lining: I'm sure they'll be able to see better without inflammation.

I started back eating celery today because of your post. Forgot that it was such a great snack food!

Back