Llama

Thanks Liza. Was very tempted to binge again today. Brain tried the "if you start this group thing you'll never be allowed to binge again so you should do it while you still can" angle. But I don't want to ever binge again. Because I don't ever want to feel sick due to my own stupidity again. I'm sure it'll come round if I stick to my guns for a couple of days but for now it's whining and pouting and distracting me whatever I do.
Good for you recognizing the brain's tricks and not falling for it. I hope the group feels like a good fit for you.

Thanks Liza and Cate. I was on surprise groups both yesterday and today plus overtime today. Which I begrudgingly agreed to yesterday only to discover they scheduled me for longer than the max I'd said 🤬 By accident, of course. Either way I feel like crap today, I overate both days, and I didn't attend the meeting. Really I don't even want to go visit a friend after work tomorrow like I promised: I just want to hole up in my apartment all weekend with a mountain of meat, chips, and chocolate. But I've done enough damage to my goals already this week so I'm going to be sensible instead. It just gets harder to right the ship the longer I let things go on. And let's face it: I feel like crap when I overeat on processed stuff and skip the veggies. Surprise: I don't enjoy feeling like crap. so lemme do the things that make me feel good instead.

Being on surprise groups 2 days in a row & overtime really sucks, Llama. Doing what you can to feel good instead is probably even more necessary than usual. I hope you visit your friend & have a lovely relaxing time xo

Thanks Cate. Doing well today so far - easy when I have sushi for lunch and am otherwise busy all the time. BUT I just walked down the Mariahilferstraße and ignored the sweet and/or fried crap on offer on all sides.

A shame I decided to have a tube of Pringles for dinner... At least I didn't add a dip and a chocolatey dessert, I guess. Had frozen grapes instead. Any other positives this week? Not a lot. But I did resist the urge to guzzle unlimited amounts of Pepsi Max rather than water, so that's something. And I'm no longer constipated, which a real relief. Here's hoping I can keep things moving without excessive amounts of fat or the irritation caused by large amounts of diet soda. Not allowed to add no-binge money to the fun fund this week but at least the slate is clean now and I have fresh motivation to do well.

And to me :) I feel a lot better this morning and my hands are no longer inflamed so I guess my body agrees. It woke me up at exactly my weekday time as well - except for winter time. Will have to be very consistent with my bed time for a couple more days and maybe set my alarm even on lazy mornings. Both regularity and solid sleep lower stress levels and lower stress levels mean it's easier to eat well.

I feel a lot better this morning and my hands are no longer inflamed so I guess my body agrees. It woke me up at exactly my weekday time as well - except for winter time. Will have to be very consistent with my bed time for a couple more days and maybe set my alarm even on lazy mornings. Both regularity and solid sleep lower stress levels and lower stress levels mean it's easier to eat well.
Good to hear!

Nice to hear the motivation to start again--that's all we can ever do!
And excellent about your hands being better as well :)

Thanks Rob, Liza, Cate, and Jojo!
I did well today and I made it to the guided tour. Which was a bit disappointing but at least I made it to the garden and now I can just do my own tour every other week or so, using my phone, books, and of course the signs. And I did learn some cool stuff about the gardens.

I'm glad you made it to the tour, even if it was a little disappointing. It will be another place that you can explore.

Exactly. It really isn't that far away and it's a beautiful place. And with all the signs and a bit of practice I'm sure I can figure most of it out on my own. It's really all about carefully stretching out that comfort zone.

I had next to no sleep and was not at all motivated to do anything other than eat this morning. But I still got on a train and left the city for a proper walk. Didn't dare venture into unfamiliar territory with no brain function so I walked from Baden to Mödling over the Anninger. Weather was windy, cool, and damp so the rocks were extremely slippery in places and I was glad I took the steep way up so I could take the easy way down. Lots of lovely wildflowers, one of which almost made me give up on identification but in the end I pulled out my old-fashioned paper plant guide and had it in 5 minutes: Cardamine enneaphyllos.

I had next to no sleep and was not at all motivated to do anything other than eat this morning. But I still got on a train and left the city for a proper walk.
Good for you, we all have mornings like that, unfortunately not all of us do as well as you did today! There are occasionally mornings I don't feel like going to the gym, but I try to follow a friend's advice. Just go anyway, tell yourself that you can always leave quickly if you want. I do that and rarely find that I "want".
Lots of lovely wildflowers, one of which almost made me give up on identification but in the end I pulled out my old-fashioned paper plant guide and had it in 5 minutes: Cardamine enneaphyllos.
Nice! We have no wildflowers yet, still too cold and snowy. I am impressed with your ability to identify the flower so quickly. I took a plant taxonomy class in college, it was in Utah so I should know all the wildflowers. But I don't...
Cardamine enneaphyllos
Looked it up, nice flower.
5a388551f1eb129e48278ef0974ca28b.jpg

now I can just do my own tour every other week or so, using my phone, books, and of course the signs.
That sounds like it should be really fun--maybe even more fun than having it all offered at the guided tour. i am hoping to do similar at that nature reserve i went to last week--should be lots of interesting changes to note over the changing seasons too!
Lots of lovely wildflowers, one of which almost made me give up on identification but in the end I pulled out my old-fashioned paper plant guide and had it in 5 minutes: Cardamine enneaphyllos.
Very cool. Do you normally use that app for identifying plants? I have found it useful at times but still usually takes a bit of research to narrow options down I find.

Very nice getting out when tempted to stay home and eat.

I try to follow a friend's advice. Just go anyway, tell yourself that you can always leave quickly if you want. I do that and rarely find that I "want".
:p You do have the strangest friends :p
I am impressed with your ability to identify the flower so quickly.
A flowering plant and a good guide book really help. Don't ask me about shrooms though..
i am hoping to do similar at that nature reserve i went to last week--should be lots of interesting changes to note over the changing seasons too!
It really is lovely to see things grow and develop over the weeks!
Do you normally use that app for identifying plants?
I do have an app but I try to figure it out for myself first. Generally I can start with half-remembered remarks from my mom but anything growing here that doesn't occur at home is a lot harder. The app gets it perfect about 50% of the time and is clueless the other half. One of its guesses for the plant Rob posted a pic of was a red-eyed frog! It doesn't help when I wander outside of cellphone reach so it can't use location (which tends to happen when you go uphill a lot).

I tried uploading some pics from today's walk but the quality isn't much.

20230402_180138.jpg

Something in the prunus family, probably a garden escapee peach tree.

20230402_180201.jpg

Quite far gone but a somewhat rare find: Daphne mezereum.

20230402_180219.jpg

Clueless about bugs but I assume it's a dung beetle.

20230402_180323.jpg

Baby beech.

20230402_180238.jpg

And probably lathyrus vernus, one of our prettiest spring flowers.

Great pictures, thanks!
A flowering plant and a good guide book really help.
I learned plant taxonomy using a text key. One of the characteristics I recall was "leaves once to many times decompound" that was when I gave up...
:p You do have the strangest friends :p
Maybe I do, aren't you one of them? ;)

Did not know there was a flower or plant id app, I'll have to look. Do you have a recommendation?

Plant Snap comes highly recommended but it has failed me almost every time. I would be interested to know what you use too, Llama.

Maybe I do, aren't you one of them?
That's why I can say it confidently :p
Did not know there was a flower or plant id app, I'll have to look. Do you have a recommendation?
From what I hear they're all pretty similar in their pros and cons but I use Obsidentify, which will give you a guess for animals as well as plants. Speaking of which: I just asked it about the beetle in that one pic and it's 99% sure it's Geotrupes vernalis known sometimes by the common name spring dumbledor. a) I didn't know Harry's headmaster was a dung beetle and b) that's no longer the official name (Trypocopris vernalis is) so the app is out of date on that front, which has happened with plants as well but I always google and check what it tells me anyway. Never blindly trust an app! Here's a video by a Youtuber I like to illustrate the point:
Plant Snap comes highly recommended but it has failed me almost every time. I would be interested to know what you use too, Llama.
I think you might have an extra disadvantage, living in an area with very specific flora and fauna. I assume the results are better the more pics from your area they have to work with.

Meeting with the boss and all therapists after work tomorrow (meetings are always overtime, because reasons) and it promises to be volatile so I'm super stressed. Probably one of the reasons I couldn't sleep over the weekend and part of why my binge urges are currently so high. But I also realized I'm undereating on my protein goals again. By quite a bit. I really am not in the mood for significant amounts of meat/eggs and protein powder/protein-added foods don't agree with my stomach so it's kind of a struggle sometimes and I just get sick of it.

Back