Liza

That's a very nice sentiment Liza. We're all just passing through so it's definitely important to be kind to one another.

That's a very nice sentiment Liza. We're all just passing through so it's definitely important to be kind to one another.
So true....and I know so many older people nowadays so the idea that anyone can just slip away at any moment is so much more apparent to me these days...really aware that I need to make the most of my time here...

I like my shift away from being too focused on weight and calories and stuff...i am at a generally healthy weight and want to keep that up, but do want to have more focus on other areas in my life that seem more important for me right now.
I do want to keep up the running and yoga and strengthening and healthy eating though...so will try and keep that up.
Yesterday was stretch and strength and the yoga portion felt so good after a week of being mostly away from it.
I ate too many cookies yesterday but that was after 2 days of not having any...so maybe it balanced out...hard to say.
Anyways off for a run this morning.

I like my shift away from being too focused on weight and calories and stuff...i am at a generally healthy weight and want to keep that up, but do want to have more focus on other areas in my life that seem more important for me right now.
I do want to keep up the running and yoga and strengthening and healthy eating though...so will try and keep that up.
Sounds excellent to me. No good spending too much time on something that wouldn't actually make much of a difference to your life anyway. Leaves more time to make memories with the people who are still with us.

Sounds excellent to me. No good spending too much time on something that wouldn't actually make much of a difference to your life anyway. Leaves more time to make memories with the people who are still with us.
Yes!
It sounds like your change of focus is working well for you :)
Yes it's so nice to not feel too caught up in it all...i just need to be a little careful that the scale doesn't just start creeping back up...will have to find a good balance...
Oh God, I really need to get back into yoga. I was so into it a few years ago and it's so good for you.
Yes I think yoga is so easily forgotten but man it just feels so good when it's included. I skipped it yesterday again...it's one of those things that is so easily put off for me for some reason.

My mood's a bit all over the place lately. I'm feeling a little down this morning, but will be going running so hopefully that will make me feel better. Will have to slow my progress with that a bit as my foot was really hurting after increasing the distance the other day...it's a hard thing to track as the pain mostly comes on a few hours after the run...
Have a bit of a health thing going on. Nothing serious, but annoying...and that always gets me down when stuff like that comes up.
Getting bored with my same old meals again...so I'm reminded that I was supposed to be choosing at least one new meal a week to try out...i just really don't enjoy cooking so it's tough to get motivated on....
Yeah so I guess I'm just feeling unmotivated and a little down. But it's a beautiful day here and soon I will be running and I've been slowly getting into the garden more...so it's definitely not all bad...just need to lift my spirits a bit.

Health stuff, even when it's comparatively harmless, does have a habit of bringing you down. Trying new recipes always gives me a bit of a boost, even though actually deciding to do it right now, today, for the very meal that's coming up is often a bit of a struggle.
Seeing the days get brighter and longer is so lovely!

But it's a beautiful day here and soon I will be running and I've been slowly getting into the garden more...so it's definitely not all bad...just need to lift my spirits a bit.
I need to make a conscious effort to do that when I know my spirits are getting low. I'm feeling it a bit after our holiday away & will have to push myself out the door. I'm going to enjoy hearing about your garden, Liza xo

Aw, I'm really sorry to hear that you are a bit down. I'm a very emotional person and can go up and down on a whim, but what often cheers me up is just getting really engaged in whatever it is that I am doing. So playing piano or gardening or whatever it is - just get stuck in.

Trying new recipes always gives me a bit of a boost,
I really struggle with keeping up with cooking. I have never enjoyed cooking and so it doesn't really come at all naturally to me to experiment either. i usually just want to make whatever's easiest and fastest. I have tried many times to get into cooking but it's just not my thing...it seems like it should be fun, but it's just not for me...but I have managed to make a couple of different things this week and I think my meals are a bit more on track...
I need to make a conscious effort to do that when I know my spirits are getting low. I'm feeling it a bit after our holiday away & will have to push myself out the door. I'm going to enjoy hearing about your garden, Liza xo
yeah it's hard to not just sink into the mood. At least the garden gets me out without much effort. I spent pretty much all day yesterday doing garden stuff--walking to the garden store to pick up soil amendments, working it into the soil...was a beautiful sunny day and it just naturally boosts my mood.
Aw, I'm really sorry to hear that you are a bit down. I'm a very emotional person and can go up and down on a whim, but what often cheers me up is just getting really engaged in whatever it is that I am doing. So playing piano or gardening or whatever it is - just get stuck in.
Yes that's so right about finding something to get completely engaged in. Running or gardening are usually the easiest for me. The running is tricky with my foot lately so I guess it will need to be more gardening!

My mood has been better last couple of days. The garden helps. Also been continuing to push myself out of my comfort zone socially which is a bit anxiety provoking, but good for me I think...

I do sort of think that with my not tracking calories I may get into trouble with my weight going up...i don't think it has yet, but I can see that I'm eating bigger portions, and going back to over-doing sweets. I don't know if I can manage even maintenance when not tracking...

My arms are feeling the garden work today...i guess it may be different muscles than I work with my usual strengthening stuff...
I skipped the run yesterday so may do it today...Will probably have to take it even easier than I have been with it as my feet were not happy after last week's schedule...and need to buy new running shoes...

I disliked cooking so much for so long and I'm so glad I managed to mostly get over my frustration. I don't think it'll ever be a hobby and I probably don't repeat more than 20% or so of the new recipes I try but at least the resistance against it is mostly gone and it feels kind of nice to be able to do something positive for my body. Still: I fully understand that you don't enjoy it!

It's good to hear that you're getting out into the garden. It's almost time to tidy ours up for the winter. Our tomatoes are still green!

I disliked cooking so much for so long and I'm so glad I managed to mostly get over my frustration. I don't think it'll ever be a hobby and I probably don't repeat more than 20% or so of the new recipes I try but at least the resistance against it is mostly gone and it feels kind of nice to be able to do something positive for my body. Still: I fully understand that you don't enjoy it!
yeah it's so funny. When I hear people moaning about garden tasks I can't ever relate as I think of it all as fun...but cooking geez, I just can't seem to get into it...Years ago I even tried where I would meet with a friend and we'd cook a new recipe together to see if we could get into it, and while the get togethers were fun, it never really changed my attitude towards it...I'm going to pick a day to do this though and just do it, no matter my mood! Maybe I'll ask a friend of mine (who is really into food and is vegan) to send me one suggestion a week to do...that might help me stay on track.

It's good to hear that you're getting out into the garden. It's almost time to tidy ours up for the winter. Our tomatoes are still green!
Too bad about the tomatoes, but you have a way to use them right? I am grateful for the gardening and for having so much space to work with. I'm helping a friend out with hers too so it should give me lots of opportunity to get in lots of garden time...Is it bad though that I'm already worrying about another hot summer? I need to appreciate the now more!

Well I decided to track calories yesterday to give me a sense of how I am doing. I think that will be a good idea to do that a few days a week, just to remind myself of portion control (esp when it comes to sweets!) Yesterday I ate at about maintenance. I did very little movement, but I did do my yoga session and did get about a half hour of walking in, so not terrible. Food choices were pretty good. I do see that i am using sweets as a mood booster...so that needs to be looked at...and back to having a day too low in protein, so yes, another thing to remember to have that protein drink daily...

I messed up my running schedule this week...and not sure whether to go today...I would happily go but i have plans for a walk tomorrow with a friend and I'm not sure i should risk triggering the plantar fasciitis issue with running today...maybe will keep it to a walk today and tomorrow and then try and get back to the walk-runs after that. Yes, that's what i'll do.

I did order some new runners so hopefully that will help...

Maybe I'll ask a friend of mine (who is really into food and is vegan) to send me one suggestion a week to do...that might help me stay on track.
That sounds like an excellent idea. As does keeping track of what you eat a couple of days a week if you know you're inclined to raise your portion size over time.
Hope you have fun walking with your friend and your feet don't complain about it.

Hope you have fun walking with your friend and your feet don't complain about it.
Friend cancelled the walk as she has come down with something...

I won't do the same distance that we would do together but I hope to get some strengthening in this morning along with a shorter walk...maybe another short walk-run session...I'm still trying to find the right approach to these walk-runs without aggravating the condition...yesterday I ended up doing walk-run but back a few stages so as to include very little running. That worked well in that the running portion still gave me that burst of energy I appreciate but hopefully without over-doing it...anyhow will continue to work at it.

Also after writing here about meal planning I realized I should just get a start on it. So I soaked some peas before my walk so they would have a shorter cooking time when I would cook them up later. Made a really nice pot of hearty pea soup and still have some left over for today so that was a good beginning...I have falafal burgers planned to make either tomorrow or Thursday and will get the ingredients for that probably today.

I noticed that with my mood being a bit down lately I have let a lot of things slide. Like my piano and my writing, so am going to make a conscious effort to get back to it all...yesterday it was so difficult getting myself to the piano, but I did it, and got my dishes done and the kitchen cleaned up so that it is easier to face cooking today.

It's so easy to stop doing the long-term helpful stuff, and so hard to get started again... Yay for good food though!

I think if I had to cook for myself I would have to push myself to do it. I would definitely cook largeish portions & freeze lots for when I wasn't motivated. I love soups, curries & slow-cooked food & they are perfect for freezing.

It's so easy to stop doing the long-term helpful stuff, and so hard to get started again... Yay for good food though!
Yes I might have to bring out my chart again where I check off my healthy things to do each day....I was getting so good at it that I thought it was unnecessary, but yes, slipping back into old patterns again!
I think if I had to cook for myself I would have to push myself to do it. I would definitely cook largeish portions & freeze lots for when I wasn't motivated. I love soups, curries & slow-cooked food & they are perfect for freezing.
Freezing is a great idea...unfortunately I don't have a proper freezer...it's just a small fridge with a small freezer space that i only trust for things like frozen berries...But I can cook for a few meals at least rather than just one meal at a time. I'm pretty good for not minding the same meal for a few days...

I did a good shop yesterday for ingredients that will cover my next couple of meals. Two friends seem excited to send me meal ideas...I may have trouble keeping up! Today will be a sweet and spicy noodle dish which looks simple and tasty...I had planned falafal burgers to be my next meal but I need to use up some tofu and that will go well in the noodle dish.
I bought a good salad mix again as well which always helps me bulk up my meals without adding to the calories...and I bought a couple of spices and condiments I don't normally use which is sort of fun. I really get into same old routines, and those same olds will be nice to have still, but good to change things up a bit.

I stuck to just walking yesterday and my feet did well, so hopefully will get out for a walk-run this morning and just keep it easy again. I think I have to let go of the idea of a half-marathon distance this spring, and that's ok...i really need to heal properly.

Got about an hour of walking in along with my strength and stretch session. And ate well....so a good day!

I have the same freezer space issue. Three portions of a meal is about the most my pans, fridge, and tastebuds can deal with. But three meals in one go still means a lot less cooking so I'll take it.

I can happily eat the same thing 3 days in a row too. Having a salad mix is an excellent addition to so many things, without adding calories. I always have spinach. I'm glad your walk didn't cause any issues with your feet, Liza.

Back