Llama

Hi LaMa! I like us stealing ideas from each other! Your goals for the year are fantastic. I agree about feeling like I don't belong anywhere, but knowing there are other people out there like me. Travel is so wonderful for discrediting that critical voice - I'm often so much more open while traveling and tend to meet others who are the same. Are you learning Turkish to travel there? I read that there is a big expat community in Istanbul that would be fun to visit someday. That's great you are going to train with your friend for a hiking vacation. Sounds divine. Please do some yoga for me!!

I love your last answer LaMa. Sounds great.

I like us stealing ideas from each other!
I once had a patient who said he got his promotions by "stealing with eyes and ears" - ie learning by observing others. I like that.
Are you learning Turkish to travel there?
Mostly to improve communication with my most vulnerable patients. Of course if I could get halfway decent at it that´d absolutely be motivation to want to visit Turkey at some point although in the current political climate I don´t really want to be spending my money there. We´ll see how it goes but it´s a difficult language to get into as an adult. So different from anything I know already.
I love your last answer LaMa. Sounds great.
I hope I´ll be able to keep it up! The past couple of weeks have been a struggle but looking back I didn´t even do that badly. At least compared to how "bad" weeks were a couple of years ago. I may not have worked out and I definitely overate quite a bit but all in all I only regained a kilo to a kilo and a half (in three to four weeks), I didn´t do any lasting harm to my body, and I kept my social contacts going. Which has generally been the hardest thing for me.

Had a pleasant day. Food was a bit chaotic but not bad at all. Walked 3.5 hours or so, 3 of which with U. I need to get used to having someone talk to me while walking again but it was nice anyway. We got rained on but not too much and we were both prepared. Worked out and chatted with the folks back home in the morning. Managed to set up my first Zoom meeting. Really not hard at all but ´d been a bit anxious about it because I´m always anxious about anything that´s even a little bit unfamiliar. So it´s good to have the confirmation that I can do perfectly normal new things. Went grocery shopping and prepped a good bit of food. Didn´t plan very well so ended up having to buy a baguette for my walking snack/lunch and came home not hungry enough for the chicken and rice I was going to eat but that´s ok. It´s always ok to change the plan as long as I make a plan and don´t binge.

Plan for tomorrow... I just realized that I don´t feel like planning exactly. So here are the things I have ready to grab and eat: sichuan chicken and rice, lentil stew, chicken salad, frozen baguette, pitabread with pea mash and tempeh. Oh, also marinated eggs. I think I´ll have the pitabread for breakfast, the chicken and rice for lunch, and maybe corn cakes with mashed eggs and some cheese (plus a side salad) for dinner. But we´ll see. I also bought apples today (because the watermelons no longer look nice and the apples are starting to look good) so I might make cinnamony apple compôte to go with my allowance of icecream.

Your plans & your planning sound really good, LaMa. I have loved reading your last few posts. The forum is starting to feel like our lovely community is operating well again. Now we need Rob to come back. I miss him & I'm worried about him. Enjoy your weekend, hon :grouphug:

Thanks Cate and Tru :grouphug: I wish Rob would come back as well. I hadn't even considered that something might've happened; I guess I just assumed he was struggling with food and didn't want to see us for now. That's how it tends to go when I'm really off track... I hope it's just that!

Last week I was SO sore after family exercise and this week I can hardly feel a twinge even though the stresses were quite similar. Goes to show how much difference food quality makes for my body's inflammation thingies.

🥱 I should probably get up and fix breakfast. Hungry! Lazy too though... One disadvantage to eating a more reasonable amount of calories: I wake up hungry. Then again hunger in the morning makes me feel virtuous. I guess that makes me a bad person by the standards of some influencers and I'm aware that associating hunger with pureness isn't the healthiest psychologically but it is what it is.

Last week I was SO sore after family exercise and this week I can hardly feel a twinge even though the stresses were quite similar. Goes to show how much difference food quality makes for my body's inflammation thingies.

That and the body does a remarkable job of adapting to our level of exercise.

Very true; bodies are amazing! (Messy, but amazing.) I´d be surprised if it went this fast though 🤔 I´ve been sore after any kind of activity lately - my glute DOMS was just unexpectedly excruciating 🙈 I literally gasped when I rolled over the next morning and put pressure on it :rotflmao:

Well, breakfast happened. Finally tried the new black bean "tempeh" I bought a couple of weeks back. It´s infused with tamari and I liked the idea of it but a) black beans have far less protein than soy beans and b) the tamari was a bit overpowering for my taste. So next time I´ll be back with the unflavored stuff and just dip in after (air)frying.

I love waking up and feeling hungry. I never thought of it as purity, but I don't see that as psychologically strange or anything seeing as we're from first world countries where excess food can be more of a problem than too little food. You're seem like you're doing way better than last time I was on the forum and you weren't as good at planning out meals. Sounds like a lovely day walking in the rain with a friend and Zooming with family. I was worried the first time I tried Zoom, too. Glad it went well! Your food sounds really good - like a whole deli of yumminess!

You’ll have to suggest ‘silent, meditative walks’ to U the next time. ;) But I get it. I find constant chatter draining at times.

All the food stuff sounds great. You are very chipper, it’s lovely to ‘see’.

You're seem like you're doing way better than last time I was on the forum and you weren't as good at planning out meals.
Only since last Wednesday or so but it suddenly feels easy again.
You are very chipper, it’s lovely to ‘see’.
It feels so much nicer as well. It's weird to me how much and how quickly things can change without anything visibly changing.

On my way home from the Lainzer Tiergarten. So many pretty flowers! So much wild fruit! Even found some tiny apples that were nevertheless quite sweet. Probably would be normal garden apples if someone pruned them. Had a Sommerspritzer (1/8 liter wine, 3/8 liter water) along the way which left me more tipsy than they normally do. It just so happens that seconds before I ordered someone changed their mind about the two normal Spritzer (1/8 liter wine, 1/8 liter water) they'd just been brought so I wouldn't be surprised if the server tossed both into one large glass to avoid wastage. Which is fine since the guy hadn't touched it yet but my legs did get quite heavy for a while 🙈

Need to keep my mind on the chicken and rice that's waiting for me at home now so I can walk past all temptations between the subway station and my apartment...

I've realized that people exist who are either very like me and/or who love me with and even for my quirks. I want more of those people in my life and I know I'll have to go out and actively try to find them irl
Love this goal! Community is so good when we find it!
And this afternoon I'm going for a walk with U, who I'm tentatively planning a hiking vacation with for next summer.
Also this goal! So fun to even just have in the plan whether or not it happens.
Mostly to improve communication with my most vulnerable patients.
So great to learn Turkish with this in mind.

So yes, great to hear you doing so well all round LaMa!

Thanks Liza :grouphug: Not there yet but it´s a direction.
Almost forgot to plan for tomorrow:
- Red lentil stew
- Possibly baguette. Or I could have chicken salad.
- Wraps... with... pinto bean mash? I fried down a great big leek yesterday, some of which should go well with pinto beans. Also mustard and pickled red bell pepper. Plus lettuce. Sounds weird? Should taste good. May crumble over some feta cause it needs eating and I can always do with more protein.

Ended up having grilled ham&cheese baguette for breakfast, with a side salad, and half an apple for dessert. Made bean mash, wrapped my wraps (with grilled bell pepper instead of pickled because the feta and mustard add enough acidity), grilled pitabread and tempeh and made the same "sandwiches" I had yesterday morning to take with me for lunch. Use stuff up! Now I can sit down and relax for an hour and a bit before leaving for work.

Plan for tomorrow, should I forget after work:
- Pinto bean wraps
- Red lentil stew (or whatever else I can pack up and bring along to eat between work and allergy tests)
- Chicken salad

Your breakfast sounds so full and hearty. I'm impressed. Good way to start the day! I can't eat salads in the mornings at all.

I need a big breakfast or I'll keep stuffing my face all day without feeling full.

Just realized I'm out of tortillas so breakfast tomorrow will be red lentil stew instead, lunch will be something I pick up on my way to the allergy center, and dinner will still be chicken salad.

I rarely have time for breakfast, but I know it definitely helps to stop the snacking. Food sounds lovely. Hope the day went well.

Hi LaMa. That's great you can go into a public garden and eat little apples while enjoying the flowers. Here they don't tend to have fruit trees in public parks because they get messy. I've been eating big breakfasts, too. It really helps start the day well. Glad things are falling into place. I think it's funny, too, how sometimes for no apparent reason they do!

I rarely have time for breakfast, but I know it definitely helps to stop the snacking. Food sounds lovely. Hope the day went well.
Thanks, Monday shifts are always kind of exhausting but it wasn't too grueling.
A hearty breakfast works for me too, LaMa. Thanks for that red lentil stew recipe :)
I hope you like it! I wish I could have my breakfast already today but if I do I may get too hungry and make stupid decisions for lunch. Been up for over an hour and it looks like it'll be another hour and a half until my first break :eek:
Hi LaMa. That's great you can go into a public garden and eat little apples while enjoying the flowers. Here they don't tend to have fruit trees in public parks because they get messy.
Same here, sadly. Either the fruit rots on the ground or people get so overzealous they damage the trees in order to get at the (often still underripe) fruit. The Lainzer Tiergarten wasn't made to be a public park originally but a hunting area for the emperor and his mates so it's mostly woodland, a meadow here and there, and in the area where the party would (traditionally) camp out there are fruit trees. These can't be the original trees, old as they are, but I guess they wanted to keep the original feel.

Wow, cool you get to stroll through an emperor's hunting ground! Hope you get nice breaks and good food soon!!

Back